Sign in to follow this  
Guest ap216

Fantail not eating :(

Guest ap216

Test results: I'll buy a water testing kit tomorrow at the pet store to find this out

Tank size: From dimensions I'd estimate five gallons; I know that's not big enough, but he's moving to a bigger tank in two weeks when I get home from university.

I have one fantail goldfish, Speedy, who I've had for ten months with no problems. When I fed him late Saturday night/early Sunday morning after returning from a day out he ate just fine. But since then, on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (today) he hasn't been eating properly.

First of all on Sunday I noticed he seemed pretty down (swimming less enthusiastically), then I noticed he wasn't interested in food. I figured he might just be full, but by sunday evening he wasn't just ignoring the food, but was trying to eat and exhibiting chewing and spitting behaviour. I normally feed him on pellets and flakes (he MUCH prefers the pellets), but he wasn't interested in/able to eat either. I also noticed that he was yawning, which was worrying. On Sunday I did a 50% water change, refreshing it with mineral water in case it was a water quality issue.

On Monday, I noticed he hadn't pooed since he stopped eating. I bought him lettuce and peas to try him on, but he either spat or ignored them, too. I did another partial water change. I also bought some pure rock salt and gave him a salt bath. After the salt bath, his mood seemed to improve greatly, and he was yawning much less. He still wasn't eating, though. I left a couple of flakes of food in his tank Monday night (to see if he'd manage them overnight), and by this morning it did seem that he had eaten them, and I thought he'd got his appetite back. However when I put another flake in it was back to ignoring, spitting and chewing/spitting.

A couple of times today it seemed like while chewing he digesting a little bit of the food before spitting the rest out (it certainly looked like he'd had a good go at it), although that might just be wishful thinking on my part :( I gave him another salt bath today, and again, it bucked his mood up. He has stopped yawning completely now. However, he's still not eating food. For the last five or so hours he's been ignoring it completely.

I've been keeping a close eye on his appearance since he stopped eating, and physically he appears to be in perfect condition. There's nothing different about the inside of his mouth, and he has large ground rocks instead of gravel anyway.

I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow (I've been a bit limited today and yesterday in what I could do because of these stupid bank holidays), and I'll buy him a different brand of food, and bloodworms if I can get them, just in case it's boredom/fussiness - although I have a sinking feeling that that isn't a good enough reason for him to stop eating for three days. I ordered some flukes and internal worm treatment, which is due to arrive in a week, and some "interpet liquisil general tonic" which is supposed to sort out parasites and fungus in the tank, and that's due to arrive this thursday.

Is there anything else I can do/get for him? I just want Speedy to start eating again :(

Any help would be appreciated

(Ps. I know that fantails should have a friend and that he is probably lonely; having put it off for too long, we're getting a new fantail tomorrow, but obviously they will be in the quarantine tank for the next couple of weeks or until Speedy is well again, so that doesn't really effect this problem.)

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry Speedy is not doing well, hopefully we can get this figured out :)

Could you please fill out all the questions below that you are able. We will wait for tomorrow to get your test results.

What fluke and parasite treatments did you order?

Could you please detail how you have been doing the salt baths?

Could you please also upload a video of speedy and the tank?

Fantails do not need to have a friend. While goldfish are generally social fish, they are not shoaling fish and do not require other fish to be happy/healthy. It is far better to have a single fish over an overstocked tank :)

Is there any way for you to pick up a large (10-20 gallons) plastic storage bin/tub while you are out tomorrow? Unfortunately the 5 gallon, as you already know, is too small for him. The recommended minimum for a single fancy goldfish is 20 gallons. The storage tub could be used as temporary housing until you are able to get a larger tank :)

If you plan to add two more fish eventually, you will ultimately need at least a 40 gallon tank. How large is the tank you are planning when you get back from university?

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Guest ap216

The flukes and worm treatment is called "Waterlife Sterazin Aquarium Treatment", like this one, but it's not due for a week, which might not be ideal. If there's something different I should get at the pet store tomorrow (or even the same thing, but sooner) then I will. What I've got arriving thursday is this, which I know is a preventative treatment, but I thought it might cheer him up and also protect him while he's weak from not eating.

I can't really say the specifics of the salt bath, because aside from being terrible at maths, I don't know the liquid capacity of the container I was bathing him in. I read a lot of different (and mostly conflicting :/) instructions for how to do the salt bath online first, and the first bath I gave him was with about half a teaspoon of pure rock salt, completely dissolved before I put it in the bath. I did it pretty weak because I'm a worrier and was unsure about putting the goldfish in salt - the consistency of the bathwater was such that I couldn't taste the saltiness. I put Speedy in for about three minutes (watching him the whole time), before taking out. He showed no signs of distress, and like I said, it seemed to cheer him up.

When I did the bath today, I made it saltier (about one and a half teaspoons, and I could just taste the saltiness), and he was in for ten minutes. He seemed to be aware that the water was different, but I wouldn't say he seemed distressed at any point. Again, it bucked him up and he stopped yawning completely after that.

I don't have anything I could video with, I'm afraid.

As for the tank - I'll have a look for a bigger temporary tank while I'm out tomorrow. There is a story behind why Speedy hasn't got as nice a set up as goldfish should, or as he deserves; back in October when we'd just come to university, two of my corridormates brought Speedy back from the pet store on a whim, with nothing but the bag he was in and a pot of food, to be part of a (completely humane) prank... and with very little foresight to what would happen next. I took responsibility for his care straight away and I've been looking after him since then, gradually buying his equipment as I learned more about goldfish care, but I'd never kept goldfish before and wasn't expecting a pet, so it hasn't always been ideal.

Anyway, off that tangent -- when I get home, I was going to buy him(/them) a new tank, so it can be as big as it needs to be or possibly can be.

:) most of us of came here not knowing much about proper goldfish care, so don't feel bad. It's what you do moving forward that counts :)

Please do not add any medications or do any more salt treatments for the time being. I am going to advise against using the general cure completely. These broad spectrum treatments are often harsh on your fish and also have the potential to kill your cycle. Medications should only be used as a last resort as they can sometimes do more harm than good, particularly for a fish that is already weak.

For the fluke treatment you want to look for something that is prazi or flubendazole based. The products typically recommended for you folks in the UK are either the Kusuri wormer plus or kusuri flukesolve http://wormerplus.co.uk/retail_shop/index.php?categoryID=2

both of these medications are gentle but effective.

I am a little concerned about the Waterlife product that you ordered because I cannot find an ingredients list anywhere, which makes me suspect harsh/unecessary meds. If there's any way you can find out what the ingredients are that would be helpful :)

With all that said, we will need to wait for your water parameters before moving forward with a plan of attack :) So please post those as soon as you are able. Please buy a drop test kit if you are able (not strips), the API freshwater master test kit is excellent and comes with everything you need. It is a little more money up front than a strip test kit, but it is more accurate and you will get more tests out of it so you save money in the long run.

Will you also please copy and paste the list of questions I posted above as well and fill those out (the ones that ask about tank size, your filter, how many fish etc. etc. I know you answered some of this already in your narrative but not everything was covered)

Is there any way to borrow a friends camera or camera phone to take a short video? It is really helpful in the diagnosis process to be able to see the fish's behavior as well as your general tank set up so that we can make the best possible recommendations.

welcome to kokos,

if you are heading down to the LFS today or tomorrow as you mentioned, take a tank water sample and a tap water sample (careful not to confuse the two) and have them test for:

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates

PH

if possible

KH & GH

these, as tithra mentioned are really important for us to have a better understanding of how to help you :) pics and video will help that little bit further too.

I'm so sorry to hear that Speedy is not doing well. Wishing him all the best for a fast recovery. Best wishes. :)

Guest ap216

Great news: this morning Speedy started eating again! I couldn't be more relieved. He seems back to his normal self 100%, although obviously I'll still keep a close eye on him.

The pet shop was shut yesterday (on a wednesday afternoon, after two bank holidays! so annoying!) but we're going this morning. Thanks for your help, everyone, I shall bear it all in mind.

If you wouldn't mind still posting your test results here we can problem solve what may have been going on :) I'm glad he's doing better!