Sign in to follow this  
Monkey87

HELP MEEEE! MY ORANDA SUCKED UP BY PYTHON..

so i always heard of other ppl's fish getting sucked by python of hose and NEVER thought it would happen to me :aint: ... i turned away for i would say 10 seconds... all of a sudden.... :thud i heard the sink water flow REALLY low.. i RIGHT AWAY looked ay my python and saw my beautiful calico oranda headfirst in the tube :stars ... i quickly pulled the python out the water and pulled him off... he has a little blood showing on the inside tissue of one of his nostrils :wall ... but otherwise seems fine... he is acting pretty normal.. and no other blood anywhere... whats should i do if anything?? keep on eye on him?? fins not clamped. he isnt bottom sitting or anything.. and he is eating.. just fed him after waterchange.. advice? :pan

I'm sorry this happened. Take some measures to prevent this from happening in the future.

As for now, he seems OK. My suggestions are to do more WCs in the coming 2-3 weeks, since lowering the number of bacteria in the tank means less chances of the wound getting infected. You could also salt the tank to 0.1%, to help stimulate healing.

Good luck, and update us, please.

i know man... it was one of those things i just walked turned away to watch my son get up on a stool without hurting himself.. and then i saw this happening..!! this oranda has always been a little "slow" but definitely sucks it happened to him... thank god it wasnt worse.. and will update u if anything happens or as hes healing! :) thanks alot!

I understand. I've done the same thing, unfortunately :(

It's a common thing to happen unfortunately :( that is how I lost my little jet :( he was literally skinned ;0 I do not do w/c's with out my protective claw now ;)

A bit of nylon stocking,or fish netting is recommended here i think :) Happy to hear your guy wasn't seriously injured :) keeping you both in my thoughts :) good clean water and a little salt will go a long way as Alex has suggested :)

the only probem i have with putting something like a nylon stocking or something is that i will not be able to dig the python tube down deep into the gravel, and it will also become clogged .. i guess i just have to be more careful and vigilent.. :( btw he looks like he is doing fine.. it is 11pm here right now.. i will update tmrw.. good night guys! :)