Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Fanatic

Big red thing coming out of gill?

Hey guys,

I'm so completely frustrated right now. I know most of you know what happened with Wendal. Well now, something else is happening to my other fish Eugene. He was fine yesterday. I got home from work today and went to feed him, and he's got this big red growth thing dangling out of the bottom of his gill (at least I think it is... either that or right in front of his fin down there...)

My camera is dead, so I'm charging it right now so I can take a picture. I have no idea what this is or where it came from. Ugh. I'll get a photo ASAP.

Would you fill out the questions at the top of the page? :)

sorry for the terrible pictures, Eugene is a very wiggly fish....

And it is definitely coming out of his gill, I was able to get a better look.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC05067.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC05066.jpg

What is this?? Does anyone know? What do I do :(

* Ammonia Level 0

* Nitrite Level 0-ish

* Nitrate level didn't test

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops

* Water temperature? 74

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gal QT tank (had him in there before because he was pineconing, he recovered but I couldnt put him back in the main tank because Wendal was sick in it, Wendal passed away the other day and I haven't had a chance to do a big huge full clean of the big tank..)

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? tetra whisper EX45

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% a couple times a week

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? few days ago, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Just Eugene, he's about the size of my hand including his tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? gel food almost every day, jump start pellets just recently

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? I did an epsom treatment a while ago, that's long gone out of the tank though. Eugene was eating metronidazole gel food while sick before.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? big red thing hanging out of gill. otherwise, completely normal and healthy looking

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nope

May be a video would work better?

Poor guy! Any chance he could have injured his gill on something in the tank? It almost looks like a piece the flesh inside the gills was ripped out. :unsure:

I'm sorry, I have no idea what it is. I also don't want to trouble you, but could you turn on the light by any chance? With the low lighting, it's really hard for me to really see more than that it's a reddish mass protruding...

I think Edith's idea is a great one, and perhaps you could look in the gill to get a better idea.

I also thought it was an injured piece of gill.

I know sometimes people take little gill samples to look under the microscope. Maybe you will end up having to cut if off. To prevent further injury...

can you test for these?

* Nitrate level didn't test

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

also, do you have any ornaments/sharp objects?

as you can see it better than us right now (there is very little light for us to see it well) does it look like gill or mass? if mass, does it have like a cauliflower texture to it? i see a little white spot, this is normal when fish have lateral line disease or previously known as HITH disease.. but as you say, it appeard overnight, so i doubt that could be so.

is it possible that this has been there longer and you have not noticed until now? even 3 or 4 days perhaps?

It may have been there a little longer, but I always look at him to make sure he's doing okay, and it does seem like something that would be really hard for me to miss.

There is nothing in the tank as it is my QT tank (aside from the filter). I will test for nitrates and pH soon, but I'm just leaving for work. I'll post the results as I have them. I will also take a better video with a light on.

It does like kind of cauliflower-ish, with a couple little white spots on it. I don't think its gill, but I dont know for certain because I've never really had any gill related issues with any of my fish in the past decade...

It doesn't seem to be affecting him though. He's swimming around like normal, eating his food, being active. His fins look good, he's not showing any signs of stress or anything. I'll update you guys as to his condition when I get home tonight!

It does like kind of cauliflower-ish, with a couple little white spots on it.

This is what I suspected as well, and why I asked for brighter light to be able to distinguish it.

Well, weird update for you guys. The red thing has completely fallen off of Eugene. It is attached to a white chunk, and it is just rolling around on the bottom of the tank at the moment. What on earth could it have been? Do you think something else will happen to him because of this?

*sigh*

I'll upload a picture of it soon. Wish I had my microscope still so I could look at it, but I don't think I'll be getting it back ever...

Strange! :blink:

Maybe you can try and take a close up picture of it, so we can try and id what it was. Is the fish still acting normally and can you notice if there is a sore or anything on him where the growth was?

Edith's original suggestion is still very good. Can you please look at his gills to see if it's all there?

He is acting completely normal. I can't see a single sign of ANYTHING out of the ordinary. From the outside, his gill looks fine. I don't know if I can check the inside or anything? I've never really done that before, aside from trying to catch a glipse when he breathes. Is there another way to do it?

Here are close up photos of the thingie. The red part is what I could see hanging out of him.

http://i29.photobuck...89/DSC05075.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC05078.jpg

Sorry, my camera was having a hard time focusing on it...

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

omg.. what the heck is that. it looks weird, ie, not something you would ever think to grow on/in a fish :yikes

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking! :unsure:

also, I'd say the whole thing is about 1cm long

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

It looks like some form of tumor. I know some can be quite rapid in growth and sometimes they do fall off the fish on their own when they are external. It might have been growing in his gill for a while and it suddenly pushed out. As long as he is not having any issues then I would just keep an eye on him and keep his water really clean cause that must have left a whole inside his gill even if we can't see it. :unsure:

I'll definitely do that. He's still in the QT tank, so it's even easier to clean than my big tank. I'll keep an eye on him. So bizarre though!

i have just finished investigating online. an american university offered information on this as well as pics that looked very similar. Catie/Edith is right.. it seems like a tumor, and i am happy to agree with that.

the problem is.. with tumors like this, they are often found to be cancerous. cancer is not uncommon in goldfish, infact many fish live with it and can do for years.

i would be inclined to understand where this tumor came from has left some pretty angry spot that we can't see. i would like you to add 0.1% salt and in 12 hours increase that to 0.2%

i would also like you to do as Alex suggested, try to take a look at both gills left and right. just use your fingernail to catch the gillflap whilst in the out position and gently prevent it from closing, there is no need to pry it open more than the natural movement the fish offers. good lighting is recommended so that you can immediately see the gills.

naturally, you may need to practice holding the fish in your hand so that he is comfortable and confident with you before you attempt to check his gills.

good luck hun.

Thanks stakos. I will definitely try that. I'll check out his gills in the morning when the lighting is better.

I was planning on putting him back in the big tank, but I guess I'll put that on hold for now.

Yikes, a tumor... poor Eugene. First dropsy, then this. Thanks for looking into it for me :)

i know sweetie, Eugene has had certainly had his share of medical attention. but look at him? he's a battler and still here because you're providing the best you can for him :) that's all we can hope for, that he continues to fight and heal himself with our helping hand. you're doing a really fine job, keep up the good work! :bighug

Oh goodness that thing was super creepy! Hope he will be okay.