Sign in to follow this  
shakaho

Want to grow plants in the top of your tank?

Look what I found!

http://www.aquaticec...cs--Hydroponics

You can put 12 two inch pots in this and either support it on the lip of your tank or just let it float. You can get "net pots" that fit the holes perfectly and let the water through: http://www.aquaticec...66-D3B02537FE9C, or you can get tiny seed-starter pots or some little disposable plastic cups.

You should be able to find these trays and pots at a local hydroponics store (such stores are much more common than I thought). You can grow most land plants in this system as long as you have good light. Twelve plants will certainly take care of nitrates in your tank.

Cool cool, you going to try it?

That is very neat! I may have to get one..(scheming..)!

I already got one. It floats beautifully. I bought the pack of net pots, too. I don't have any fish indoors right now, so I just might put it in a pond.

What kind of plants are you using,Shakaho?

I haven't planted yet. I just picked up the pots today. Indoors, I would use some the the pothos that I've had in the tank and some other houseplants, since I don't have much light. In a pond, I might try some herbs. Basil has done well for me in water. I might just plant some impatiens, which does well in water and heat.

But you DO have to be selective,right? I would assume some plants would be not good for the fish?

I suppose there are plants that might be bad for the fish, but I don't know any. I know food plants will all be fine.