Bleeding in telescope eye

Scruffy

I have a 2+ year old telescope named Chad who has had a bloody eye for the past 4 or 5 days. Chad has an intermittent swimbladder issue and I suspect he scraped his eye on something. Oddly enough, he is swimming OK today.

He lives in a 55 gallon aquarium that's equipped with two filters - a penguin 320 and a penguin 350 that have been going for about 4 years and two 12 inch airstones. Chad lives with two other goldfish about the same size - an oranda and a fantail and about 10 pond snails I keep to help with the glass. I just tested the water with my API testkit and I have 0 ammonia and nitrite, the PH is 5.4, and the nitrate is 10 ppm. I change 50% of their water with Prime. The last time was this past Sunday. I feed them Omega One protein enhanced goldfish flakes twice a day. Once in awhile I'll give them an extra feeding as a treat and they have live plants to nibble on when they are hungry. Occasionally I'll give them peas.

I tried Melafix when I first noticed the problem on Sunday, It seemed to clear up a little and now it looks worse. I'm worried about him bleeding so long having serious problems with his eye, I am not as worried about the swim bladder issue because he eats okay, the other fish are nice to him, and he doesn't seem to have other problems.

I would love some advice,

S

Could we have pics of the eye, please?

Also, the pH is extremely low, and could be one of the causes leading to this.

I would isolate him to a QT tank and salt up to 0.3% while he heals. The biggest issue right now is that the eye is vulnerable to infection, so you might want to get some Medi-Gold and Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, just to have on hand in case you need to treat. However, do NOT treat yet. Just QT and salt to 0.3%, raising it by 0.1% every 12 hours. It's best if QT is cycled, although you will still want to change water daily, at least 50%, to keep the environment as pristine as possible.