Sign in to follow this  
aakane47

How many Goldfish would you recommend for a 38 Gallon?

How many goldfish would you recommend for a 38 gallon? I was thinking two, but I want to know what your opinions are. How often would I have to do water changes with 2 goldfish in a 38 gallon?

You could technically have up to 3 but two will be perfect. You will still want to do at least one 50% or larger water change once a week.

Looks like all your fish are single tails. I would then only recommend 2 in a 38 gallon.

Water changes vary tank to tank. You need to change it however many times to keep your params at Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate ~10 or under. If that means less fish than recommended, more plants, more filtratration then do so. If you want to do less water changes, keep things adequately filtered, extra biomedia for more BBs, and keep it understocked.

I believe that for single tails it should be 1. You would need 60 gallons to comfortably house 2 single tails.

My single tails are in another tank of mine. I was thinking about getting like one ranchu and an oranda.

In that case 2 fancy goldfish would be perfect for a 38 gallon tank :)

I have two orandas in a 38g tank and they are fine.

Edited by Narny105

I agree! 2 is really the max if you plan on this being a permanent home for them :)

Two. They might eventually outgrow it, but that will be at least two years down the road.