Sign in to follow this  
bagh

The First Prototype of my Hand made Mini-Chiller.

At the heart of this chiller lies a powerful 15V- 200W Solid State Peltier Plate. I won't be utilizing it to its full capacity, rather at 1/4th of its power owing to the non-availability of a Large Heatsink at this moment, and also this is a trial prototype. At 15V, this Peltier Plate produces more cooling than a 165 Litre Refrigerator. I am limiting the input power supply to just 8.5V to 9V by resistive methods.

This chiller uses very cheap indigenous components which are easily available.

i.) 15V- 200W Peltier Thermocouple.

ii.) Computer SMPS capable of delivering a minimum of 12 Amps at the 12V rail.

iii.) Top Filter

iv.) Heatsink for AMD CPUs and a 12V 0.6 Amp high speed Fan rated to spin at 4500 RPM.

v.) Araldite Epoxy Adshesive and Brass Nut-bolts.

The sealant used is Araldite Epoxy Adhesive, which is claimed to be heat proof, corrosion resistant and most importantly, Non Leaching and Non Toxic, once cured. It is also resistant to most chemicals.

Well, I won't be boring you with too much of description here. Please scroll down. Thanks. :)

All inputs, comments and suggestions are very much welcome.

chiller1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chiller2.jpg

chiller3.jpg

chiller4.jpg

chiller5.jpg

chiller6.jpg

chiller7.jpg

chiller8.jpg

chiller9.jpg

chiller10.jpg

chiller11.jpg

chiller12.jpg

chiller13.jpg

Edited by dnalex
correcting for huge font types

chiller14.jpg

chiller15.jpg

chiller16.jpg

chiller17.jpg

chiller18d.jpg

chiller19.jpg

chiller20.jpg

chiller21.jpg

chiller22.jpg

chiller23.jpg

chiller24.jpg

chiller25.jpg

chiller26.jpg

chiller27.jpg

chiller28.jpg

chiller29.jpg

chiller30.jpg

chiller31.jpg

chiller32.jpg

chiller33.jpg

Woa that confuses me. Very cool though :D

How did you learn to make it? :)

Woa that confuses me. Very cool though :D

How did you learn to make it? :)

Thank you, Alex. :)

I had experimented with Peltier devices since a long time. Just thought about making something practicable. Here the room temps are 33-40C in summer and I don't have a chiller for Quarantine Tank. When it's very hot, the very idea of Quarantine at these high temps frightens me. So God may have guided me in making one. :)

Edited by bagho

good luck bagho.. i know nothing about this stuff.. good on you for making the effort that you have, it looks very involved, i hope it works well for you.. be super cautious to not drop the temperature too quickly in any goldfish tank, only a few degrees every couple of hours.

Yes Im kinda wondering how you will regulate the temperature drop if that is at all possible. This work of engineering is far beyond anything I have dabbled in so I give you a trememdous across the pond pat on the back :thumbsup

good luck bagho.. i know nothing about this stuff.. good on you for making the effort that you have, it looks very involved, i hope it works well for you.. be super cautious to not drop the temperature too quickly in any goldfish tank, only a few degrees every couple of hours.

Thank you very much for your reply, Helen. :)

If the temperature seems to be dropping too quickly, I can easily reduce the supply voltage by longer copper wires acting as resistances or use the 5 Volt or the 3.3 Volt rail on the SMPS.

Thank you Helen. :)

Yes Im kinda wondering how you will regulate the temperature drop if that is at all possible. This work of engineering is far beyond anything I have dabbled in so I give you a trememdous across the pond pat on the back :thumbsup

Thank you a million times, Una. Your comment and the pat on my back made my day! :)

Temperature drop can be very easily regulated by using longer or shorter copper wires (Resistive Process) or using the 5V, 3.3V rail (lossless way) on the SMPS instead of the 12V rail. If voltage is reduced, cooling is exponentially reduced. I have a Thermostat Schematic, yet to be soldered on. That will keep the temperature static at a preset temperature. Readymade Thermostat switches can also be purchased off ebay.

Edited by bagho

Holy man. I do not understand anything about this kind of stuff. You are amazing at it though! I wish you luck with perfecting this!

Holy man. I do not understand anything about this kind of stuff. You are amazing at it though! I wish you luck with perfecting this!

Many many thanks, Haley. :)

I have reduced the input voltage to 3.8 to 3.9 Volts. This has reduced the cooling power of the Peltier Plate exponentially. Thus it is proven that reducing the voltage by easy means like using a copper wire or using the 5V rail on SMPS reduces the cooling power, pulling just 4 degrees in 1 hour (For the 1.5L Tank), making it ideal for Goldfishes to acclimatize themselves. For a larger tank, the temperature pulldown shall be one degree in a few hours, which is good. If we need faster cooling, we can use the 12V or even 15V Supply (But obviously with a larger heatsink).

During experimentation, the 15V input froze a bowl of water to 14 degrees below Zero at just half an hour! It was drawing 190 Watts of Power then!

dscn6676copy.jpg

dscn6677copy.jpg

dscn6679copy.jpg

Sorry for the watermark at the wrong place. Temp: 30.6C

dscn6680copy.jpg

dscn6681copy.jpg

dscn6682copy.jpg