Sign in to follow this  
kerry123

Goldfish Anchor worm

Do you mean when you transfer over to QT and doing subsequent water changes? What I would do is use some sort of container (1 gallon+), scoop some tank water into the container and then move the fish over. When you fill up the water to the tub, make sure to test by hand/finger that it's the same temp as the fish's container water, and you should be good.

Have you not moved the fish into QT? If not, I would like for you to do so, so that you can turn up the heat, and treat with Epsom.

do I turn the heat up after I transfer the fish into the QT or before I move the fish in there? And temperature should I switch on the heater?

Also since the QT is 30 litres (but I'm not going to fill the water till the very top, so maybe bit less than 30 litres), how much epsom salt shall I put in there?

OK, add just a tad over 1/8 of a teaspoon.

Add fish, and then turn up the heater to 80 degrees :)

so shall I bring any water from the main tank into the QT? or just use completely fresh water for QT?

Completely freshwater, please :)

ok will do that thanks :)

p.s still waiting for the med, not sure if it will arrive today :( if not hopefully can get it by tomorrow !

sorry just one more thing, just filled the water in the QT, then remember I forgot to ask:

since the temperature in my main tank is 17 degree, if I move the fish into the QT and turn the heater to 80 degrees F(which is about 26C), I'm not sure how long will it take the 150W heater to heat up the 30L QT? If it heat up really quick I'm afraid its gonna stress out the fish.

So shall I gradually increase the temp? so ill set it to 20C first, then gradually increase till 26C?

Yes, adjusting it up incrementally is a good idea, although there are benefits to semi-abrupt increases as well. :)

ok will set it to 20C first. by the way I just received the med!!!

Thanks Helen!!!!! :thanks

So just exactly how much med and veggies shall I mix for the gelfood for my 37g oranda?

Could you tell me how many milligrams metronidazole are in each of the tablets? I can't remember if it's 250 or 200.

sorry for the late reply, had to rush to aquarium store to get another thermometer for QT. It states on the tablet MZ 200

OK. Here is what you'll need to do:

1. Make a batch of gel food, and then weigh out 20 grams of it. That's the portion you'll need to add the metronidazole to. Let it cool down a bit, but not completely. If you have a thermometer to check the temp of the gel, it should be around 110F for the next step.

2. Crush up 1 tablet of the metronidazole, and mix it with a little bit of tank water and then mix it with gel food.

3. Pour medicated gel food into a container, and let it solidify. Once it's gelled, you can put it in the fridge to let it continue solidifying.

4. Once done, cut this into 25 equal pieces. (Each should weigh around 0.8 grams). Each piece is enough for two days. I would freeze most of the cubes and leave enough in the fridge for 2-4 days max.

5. Start feeding your fish the metro gel food :)

thanks but I have a few questions:

1. is there a ratio on how much zucchini, spinach and peas to add? or I can mix them as I want to? And do I need to boil them?

2. how much gelatine shall I add? (I've never used it before!)

3. do I mix the metronidazole with main tank water or QT water? (Main tank water contains aquarium salt in it)

4. You said each piece is enough for 2 days, so do I divide the 0.8 gram pieces into half and feed over two days, or do I feed the piece in one day and fast the fish for one day?

Edited by kerry123

I'm going to ask Helen to comment on points 1-3, because she's much better at it than I am. :)

4. You said each piece is enough for 2 days, so do I divide the 0.8 gram pieces into half and feed over two days, or do I feed the piece in one day and fast the fish for one day?

No, you divide that amount up, so that you can feed the fish 3-6 times a day, depending on what works for you :)

ok thanks will be waiting for Helen's response :)

also just one more thing. Since I've never used a heater before, can I submerge the heater cable in the water? I've attached a photo I took and the highlighted area is where I'm wondering if can be submerged in water.

http://i48.tinypic.com/24fdzpz.jpg

Is it a submersible heater?

um I think so... it didn't state that on the box but in the instruction booklet it state: "do not plug the heater in unless submersed in water"... so I'm guessing it is? On the box it says its Aqua One "Heater"

According to their website

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/accessories_heat.php

It's fully submersible, so part of that cord will be in the water as well. Just make sure that water cannot drip back to the outlet :)

Edit: haha. We found the same site. :)

ok thanks. Reason I asked is that I can't place the heater vertically because I realise there isn't enough height to do that in the QT... lol

So I'll have to place it horizontally which means the cord will be in the water too :P

Edit: Yeah I realised that we found the same site too lol!

Edited by kerry123

I understand. I also have my heater horizontally in my QT, for the same reason.

hun, what do the instructions on the gelatine say? or if it doesn't say, can you find the product on google and link it to me here?

ok.. that's the one i use and for 600ml of food, i double the dose..

so do this.. grab the veggies you want to use for the food.. some peas, zuccini, spinach and half a clove of garlic. if you have a garlic masher, then use that to mash the garlic. grab a pot half filled with water, bring it to the boil,. prepare the veggies, cut them up like you're gonna make a minestrone. throw them into the boiling water and wait for them to all go soft. add the zuccini first, it takes a little longer to boil..

once soft, blend them all together and write me back with how much of it you have in blended form.

ok just finish blending the veggies and garlic. the weight is 69 g