Goldfish Anchor worm

I will get a thermometer tomorrow at the aquarium store first and see what's the temperature range, if it's too high range I will consider getting a heater then.

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by kerry123

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I've went out and bought a thermometer which I will be inserting into the aquarium during the water change tomorrow.

however the red cap oranda has been recently floating near the water surface (not floating on its side, just normal floating), it's dorsal fin is clamped(only open while eating) but other fins are ok, it does eat well and sometimes goes to bottom tank to search gravel for food (but then it will goes right back near the surface to the same spot and floats there), and today upon close look under the aquarium light, I found that its scales had been sticking out on its right side, and a little bit on its left. It's belly had always been bigger than the others since the day I bought it and I assumed it was what red cap oranda should be(and upon googling images of red cap, they all seemed to have quite a big belly), and its belly its still about the same now with scale sticking out.

The fantail of mine that had dropsy passed away 3 days ago and I'm really scared that this oranda has dropsy too... the water parameters are all good so I'm not sure what could possibly caused this symptom on this fish, could it be the temperature? the other fish seemed good.

is dropsy treatable if discovered early? or is it still too late now to do anything...

Edited by kerry123

No i dont have any metronidazole, is that a kind of antibiotics? Will I be able to get them from pharmacy?

I don't see too obvious sign of bloating to be honest, because I had taken the picture I took on the first day I got it and compare with it now, it's tummy is almost about the same size (it's tummy had been bigger than the others on the first day). It's just that the scales are sticking out on its right side of body and he is constantly floating near surface. Still has great interest in food though

Shall I move it to the hospital tank and put Epsom salt in it?

Edited by kerry123

P.s in addition of the above post, just had another look at the fish this morning, had to say its stomach is unfortunately bloated on the right side :(

I do have Amoxil capsule which contains amoxycillin

Edited by kerry123

This is a picture of what it look like on the first day it came: http://i47.tinypic.com/aadfdt.jpg

This is a picture of it's right side of body now: http://i45.tinypic.com/11jqera.png

This is picture of it's left side of body now: http://i47.tinypic.com/e7c8ph.png

p.s also please see my previous 2 post on page 4 thanks.

Edited by kerry123

Hang tight, please, and thank you for the pics.

I've asked stakos, who is in Australia, to advise on where metronidazole may be obtained. We will hear from her soon! :)

Then we can formulate a plan.

• Supporter

i can't see where she can get Metronidazole without a prescription as i can. if the OP is happy to email her postal details to sparez@bigpond.net.au i will be more than happy to send the usual lot out that i normally do.. unless the OP is somewhere nearby in Melbourne VIC where she can just swing by and pick some up?

i can't see where she can get Metronidazole without a prescription as i can. if the OP is happy to email her postal details to sparez@bigpond.net.au i will be more than happy to send the usual lot out that i normally do.. unless the OP is somewhere nearby in Melbourne VIC where she can just swing by and pick some up?

Thanks, Helen! :)

Thanks for the reply. I don't live in VIC, I'm in NSW.

Is it that only metronidazole can be used? Can I used Amoxil instead(since I've research online that both antibiotics are for bacteria infection)? Because I'm afraid by the time it's delivered it will be too late?

If only metronidazole can be used, I will email you my postal. Thanks again!

Unfortunately, for dropsy, the only antibiotic/med that has any sort of real consistent effectiveness is metronidazole. Amoxicillin may be a helpful addition, but it won't be much good by itself :(

Ok then I will email Helen my postal, but while waiting for it to arrive what else can I do?

I found out just now that there's 0.25ppm nitrite level in my hospital tank, probably because of the other dropsy fish (since it was 0ppm before I put the fish in), so I haven't yet put the dropsy fish in there yet.

• Supporter

if you email me your postal details, from the pics you showed, the dropsy is in very early stages, i will send them express tomorrow and you will receive them tuesday mail time. that is no huge delay for what we are dealing with.

your fish is not dying from the dropsy, dropsy is a symptom not a disease/bacteria. your fish is having a reaction from a bacteria or a secondary infection caused by the previous parasites and is displaying dropsy as a reaction to this. the most effective medicine we know is Metronidazole. trying anything will just delay the process of what we know by a minimum of 14 days as any antibiotic needs to run a 14 day treatment course. so, if the one you are suggesting does not work, then we're going to be very much behind the 8 ball waiting for that to finish. or. we can wait a day for the meds we know will work to arrive to you.

• Supporter

it's probably a good thing to just fast a little.. this way the fish will be a little more hungry and will eat just about anything. i don't know yet of a fish to turn down a gelfood mix of metronidazole, but you never know. you may have fussy fish over there in NSW.. lol..

you can prepare the food from tomrrow night though, i would use peas, zuccini and spinach, they've all got some good stuff in them to provide strength and assist in mild laxative. antibiotics can cause some constipation so i always like to have peas in the medfood i make.

here is a little video i made on the easiest way i know how to weigh a fish:

here is the easiest way i know how to crush the metronidazole tablets:

hope these help :)

making the gelfood. don't be too concerned to make too much mixture, because you will take from the mixture all that you need as instructed by Alex to make the medicated gelfood. once you've weighed your fish and posted the information here, he will caluclate the dosage for you and you will then make the food. the veggies need to be steamed or boiled soft, allowed to cool before blending. once fully blened and the gelatine has been added, mix the prepared metronidazole powder into the food and give it one quick blend again to even the meds throughout the food. then just sit it in your fridge to set. as soon as it's set, you cut it up into as many pieces Alex has advised and you're good to start feeding. i would only leave 3 days worth of food in the fridge, the rest will be stored either in a ziplock bag or tub in the freezer to which you will take 3 days worth of medfood out each time.

I see. So after I make the gelfood, can I just take it out into a small bowl and feed the food to the dropsy fish and then put it back to the main tank? Or do I need to isolate it completely from the other fish?

• Supporter

ok.. fish will be isolated in a qt tank. the qt tank will have a heater, a cycled filter, an airstone/wand or both depending on the volume, the sick fish for the duration of the treatmenet, so he/she will be in there for a minimum 14 days..

in the qt tank you will treat with epsom salt and feed the medicated gelfood as advised by alex.

medicated gelfood will be fed only to the fish that is ill that will be living in the qt tank. the rest of your community is business as usual.

I see. So after I make the gelfood, can I just take it out into a small bowl and feed the food to the dropsy fish and then put it back to the main tank? Or do I need to isolate it completely from the other fish?

As Helen said, the fish will need to in QT, for several reasons:

1) Until we get rid of whatever ailing your fish, we don't want others potentially to be exposed.

2) Moving the fish multiple times a day is somewhat stressful and should be avoided if possible. In this case, it's absolutely possible to avoid doing that.

3) Stressed fish are not likely to just eat their food right away, so it doesn't work very well.

4) There will be Epsom salt used to treat as part of the plan, and so we don't want healthy fish to be exposed unnecessarily to Epsom salt.

ok, but since the water in the hospital tank contains 0.25ppm nitrite and 0 ammonia, do I need to put it into a fish bowl instead(without filter)? I will do another water change tomorrow on the hospital tank and see if nitrite goes down.

The hospital tank is 11 litre with filter and air pump, but I will need to get a heater from the store tomorrow.

Edited by kerry123

Is it possible for you to use a plastic tub as QT? I'm afraid 11 litres is a bit too small. We need something in the order of 38-40L.

sorry but what do you mean by plastic tub?