Goldfish Anchor worm

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now I went and bought the Seachem Prime but I'm a bit confused with the directions. It says on the bottle that:

"use 1 capful for each 200L of new water...May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume"

I'm a bit confused on whether I should just add the Prime into the new water that I'm about to change later or shall I treat the whole tank volume for the first time using it? (I was using Aquasonic Chlormon water conditioner before)

And also do I have to separate the amount of Prime and add to each bucket of new water or can I add them all in the last bucket of new water? (each bucket carries about 16 litres of water)

What I always do is add the amount of Prime necessary for the entire tank volume first to the tank, and then add water. I actually almost always double the amount, and for now, you should as well. A double dose of Prime should be enough to neutralize 2.0 ppm ammonia for 2 days :)

So I'll add the amount for my whole tank volume no matter how much water I change? So my tank is about 150 liters so double the amount is 1 and half capful of Prime?

Will Prime affect the water conditioner that is already in my tank water?

Yes, for now, while you are still cycling, always add to the tank, and add (double) for the volume of your tank. Later, when you are cycled, then you could add the amount to each bucket. This is to help with the cycling.

Prime should not affect the other conditioner, and chances are if you added a couple of days ago at least, it's no longer in the system :)

Yeah I've added the other conditioner like 4 days ago.

Once my tank is cycled can I like add the amount of Prime according to the water changed all into one bucket and just pour the rest of the buckets of water to the tank?

No, if you do that, you'll have to add the amount for the entire tank.

Prime, or any other water conditioner, works best when it's at or above a certain concentration. So, you either have to add it to each individual bucket, or treat the whole tank.

ok so last night I changed the water and added prime and more salt. This morning I checked the water again with the API master kit.

Ammonia is 0ppm

Nitrate is 2ppm

However Nitrite is still above 2ppm (the colour of the test solution is bright purple).

So I was just wondering normally how long more will it take for my tank to be fully cycled and nitrite level goes down to zero? (it had already been more than 3 weeks since I put my fish in)

It's hard to say. It could be tomorrow, or 4 weeks from now, unfortunately. :(

The nitrite is way too high. I would recommend doing a 90% WC ASAP to get rid of most of it. Replace meds and salt as necessary.

But I've just changed 70-80% of water yesterday, can I do it again today? Will the fish get stressed with such frequent and huge water change?

I think the nitrite in my tap water also plays a role in increasing my tank nitrite level, can I use water filter( the little bottle that connects to my tap water) to clarify the water? Will that remove nitrite in my tap water?

When people are cycling with fish, it's not unusual to have to change water even twice a day. There is probably some amount of stress with WCs at first, but they get used to it, AND the benefit of having fresh, less- or non-toxic water outweighs the negatives.

I personally have never used StressZyme, so I couldn't tell you how helpful it is. However, I don't think it will hurt the cycle. I just don't know if it will do anything at all, and I suspect that with a lot of the cycle-enhancing products that this is likely the case.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking when you ask if it affects aquarium salt in your tank.

No, nothing can remove salt from your water, except for water changes. However, having high concentrations (0.3% or higher) of salt in the tank may slow cycle development.

My tank's salt concentration is only about 0.1%, do you know if those cycling enhancing product is even helpful?

Edited by kerry123

As I said earlier, I'm not sure at all that these products can do what they claim to do, and certainly none will give you the instant cycle that several products claim to be able to do. Some may help in speeding it up, such as Nutrafin Cycle, but I can't say anything about StressZyme, since I have not used it, and have not read much of its efficacy, as far as this forum is concerned.

Ok, so just now I was feeding the fishes and found out that 2 of them had another 2 white strings coming out! (although its in a different location than the red wound I found last time)

So I carefully used tweezers to pluck them out and manage to take a close up photo of it. I'm not sure if its anchor worm as I can't see the "anchor" but I'm pretty sure its some kind of parasite. I've upload the picture to tinypic:

http://tinypic.com/r/2jd029i/6

Can you have a look and what kind of worm you think it is?

arthropod , Lernaeide, looks very like Sphyrion lumpi ,

nice pictyre too, next time use white background

Edited by mikroll

I've never heard of sphyrion lumpi, is that a type of parasite? Can aquarium salt help treat it?

I did some research online but it says it affect mainly pond fishes instead of goldfishes...

p.s I used black background because while its still on the fish, this worm appear white so I reckon it will stand out on a black background

do not wish to confound you, sorry butyou asked for name. anchor worm is crustacean.there are thousands different ones. lernae

you do know that all goldfish imports are from ponds?

So basically anchor worm can also be classified as lernae?

What I've done is plucked all the visible worms I can see out of the fish's body and apply some betadine to the red wound area, there's aquarium salt running in my tank, will these help to fix the problem?