Sign in to follow this  
kerry123

Goldfish Anchor worm

Ok got that thanks :)

Another thing, I've also put prazi in the bucket for the spotty fish, it's still floating upside down and occasionally it will swim to the bottom of bucket trying to get itself upright but always goes back to floating upside down. Will this possibly be caused by fluke? Will it be a bit too late now to treat with prazi?

Put both of them back in the same place and treat with salt and Prazi. Also, they both should be fasted for the next few days. That should help with the floatiness with the one fish.

Ok thanks! Will put the it back to main tank.

And I thought I'm going to lose the spotty one! Phew!

I think the floatiness is food related, so we just have to start working to eliminate this issue by fasting them for a few days. The salt and Prazi treatment is appropriate for all new fish.

Let's do what we can to bring Mr. Calico back to good health :)

Lol Mr Calico :P

Ya so just now I place it back in main tank and it kind of gotten very active and swims around in upside down position... Looks pretty weird though, but sometimes he will just stop and let the current take him around.

So you think this is swim bladder? I thought fish with swim bladder still eats normally, but he just spit the food out

There could be several things:

1. The floatiness is likely to be food related.

2. The spitting out of food could be because of gill/mouth irritations, which could be the result of flukes.

The fasting will hopefully resolve point 1, and the salt + Prazi will deal with point 2. :)

I see. Just now I came back home and still found him to be floating upside down near the water surface, but when I approach near him he will struggle a bit to get himself swimming for a while then goes back floating. This evening I found him sinking at the bottom upside down not moving and I thought I lost him but then he swam away (still upside down) when I approach him... Because he hardly takes a breath probably due to the gill infection...

And the other fancy is still clamping its fins together, I guess they must have a pretty severe fluke infection back at the shop ... Or do you reckon it might be caused by the fluke parasite that was in my tank ??

Edited by kerry123

Kerry, I think given that this thread is getting to be really long, and the two new fancies are new, I think you should start a new thread, with parameters, and a video, so we can the floatiness and clamping. Thanks.

Ok will start a new thread about this. But just want to make sure one more thing before I move on to new thread about the floating fish, so today is day 2 and I need to add 7 more prazi tablet?

P.s no more clamped fins!

Ok will start a new thread about this. But just want to make sure one more thing before I move on to new thread about the floating fish, so today is day 2 and I need to add 7 more prazi tablet?

No. You only replace Prazi if you are doing a WC, and they need to have 4 days on, 3 days off Prazi. Does that make sense?

No, this is the Prazi schedule:

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 2: Add another dose of Prazi. We routinely double dose with Prazi for the first round in this protocol.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 12: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 19: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 29: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 33: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 36: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 40: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

Salt is at 0.3%, or 3 level teaspoons per gallon of water. Make sure that it's dissolved before adding to the water. You should increase salt at 0.1% at a time, or at 1 level teaspoon salt per gallon. When you do WCs, take care to replace the salt taken out with WCs.

Prazi will not harm uninfected fish.

But you state in the above post add another dose of prazi on day 2?

Haha! We have two different schedules that we routinely use here.

Yes, please follow the schedule as posted. Thanks :)

Update: sad news, the oranda passed away this morning :(

He was all fine yesterday, eating his gelfood, pooping and very active, but this morning found him floating sideways not breathing :(

Never know he can deteriorate this fast (his left belly swelling had gone down so much that I thought he will make it through)

But without your guys guidance the oranda might not even live this long, so thanks so much for the help!!!

P.s the spotty fish didn't make it and passed away few days ago that's why I never started a new topic about his condition

I'm so sorry, Kerry :(

It seems that the place where you got these fish have a somewhat suspect source. I would try a different retailer. :(

Oh another question, if I'm planning to buy a new fish, can I use the plastic tub as quarantine tank? If so does that mean I'll have to do daily 100% WC since there's no filtration system? And how long shall the quarantine period be?

Yes, you definitely can use the tub as QT. It works very well for that purpose.

Because you have no filtration, I would do at least one 50% WC daily on the tub. What really matters is that the QT remains toxin free, so you will need to check you parameters to make sure this is the case. It should not be a problem though :)

Ok so double dose of prime daily during WC?

Also how long is a fish suppose to be quarantined before introduced to main tank?

Edited by kerry123

Yes, a double dose of Prime is fine.

I would QT for at least 3 weeks, but preferably 4-6.