Sign in to follow this  
kerry123

Goldfish Anchor worm

No, use the 1tablet/20L, but change 100% daily, and replacing that amount again. Do this for 4 days in a row, please.

Update: today is the second day of the fluke tablet treatment. I don't see any obvious change, he is still very bloated with all scales sticking out. But he eats fine and poops fine, just that these days I find it pretty difficult to move itself around the plastic tub or comes to surface for food, probably due to the big belly.

Another thing, today he actually ate all his poop! Because this morning when I fed him, many times he mistaken his poop for the fallen gelfood and ate it without spitting out, and just now I found all the poop that was in the tub is now gone! Is that normal?! :o

It's not abnormal lol.

Fins crossed for him!

Thanks! :D

Here's a photo that I just took:

http://i47.tinypic.com/mhbq0n.jpg

today is day 3 on the fluke tablet, I think the swell on the belly has gone down a bit :o

and tomorrow will be day 14 on the metro gelfood, can I continue to feed that?

Edited by kerry123

Yes, please continue to feed the metro-gel food.

It does seem like the swelling has gone down a bit :)

update: he isn't too good this morning, first he spent the whole morning floating near surface with tail down, looking very sad. And he also doesn't respond when I put my hand over the tub, he used to chase my hand around for food. And occasionally he will float on it's right side (the side where it's more bloated). :(

He still eats his food though.

I'm so sorry Kerry.

We will all hope for the best, but I wanted to be honest, as well. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, dropsy wins. I wish I could offer something else :(

Thanks

Now I just hope he will somehow make it through!

Both fingers and fins crossed!

Update: He's still hanging in there! One good sign is that he doesnt float on its side anymore, and still has great interest in food!

here's a video I took of him eating :)

Just one more thing, yesterday was the 5th day on fluke tablet, shall I stop today?

Yes, give it a rest for a few days, and then we can discuss whether to continue :)

Ok so I've stopped the fluke tablet and he's swelling had gone down even more :D! But scales are still sticking out.

One more thing, about 3 days ago I bought two more fancies for the main tank because it really doesn't feel good to have an empty tank! However one of the fancy (a spotty one) turned upside down this morning without obvious warning(but he had been a little floater after I bought it, and was swimming head down last night). No sign of dropsy or ulcers or any flashings in the tank so I don't know what might possibly cause that. I moved it to a 20 liter bucket with air stone and heater and tried to feed it the gelfood but it only ate 1 bite and spit the rest out. I'm not sure if it could be some kind of fluke or internal parasite? I'm now worried about the other fish in my tank(even though it seemed fine now), shall I treat the whole tank with some medication?

Edited by kerry123

In addition to the post above, I did some research and found that since fluke can't be seen with naked eye and can sometimes be very difficult to diagnose.

So just wondering shall I treat the whole tank with that fluke tablet just to make sure there's no fluke in the tank? Will the fluke tablet cause any harm to the healthy fish in the tank? And will it affect the bacteria cycle in the tank?

Edited by kerry123

You should treat all new fish with Prazi.

So prazi will not affect healthy fish? (even if it didn't have fluke)?

Also shall I follow the instruction for prazi?:

"use at rate of 1 tablet per 20 litres of aquarium water. After 48 hours from initial treatment change 25% of aquarium water and clean filter medium. Repeat dose after 7 days to prevent re-infestation."

When it say do 25% wc and clean filter medium after 48 hours does it mean clean the black sponge? Do I have to clean ceramic noodle aswell?

Edited by kerry123

No, this is the Prazi schedule:

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 2: Add another dose of Prazi. We routinely double dose with Prazi for the first round in this protocol.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 12: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 19: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 29: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 33: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 36: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 40: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

Salt is at 0.3%, or 3 level teaspoons per gallon of water. Make sure that it's dissolved before adding to the water. You should increase salt at 0.1% at a time, or at 1 level teaspoon salt per gallon. When you do WCs, take care to replace the salt taken out with WCs.

Prazi will not harm uninfected fish.

Wow so 40 days of prazi in total!

So I do not need to clean any filter medium(sponge or ceramic noodles) during the prazi treatment? I should take out the carbon cartridge right?

Carbon should always be taken out during treatments. How is your media set up? Is the carbon bound to other media? If you remove carbon, will you still have other media in place? You actually never really need carbon :)

During the treatment, you can still rinse out filter media in dechlorinated water, and should do so every once in a while.

The carbon isn't bound to the other media and can be taken out. So just now I put the dissolved tablet in the tank (I put 7 tablet in it because it's a 40 gal tank), and the fancy in there immediately clamped all it's fins to its body, the fins was all up before I put the med in, is it because it haven't got used to the med?

No, it's likely because the meds are acting on the flukes. You will see a lot of agitation in the first couple of hours when the fluke infestation is high.

Did you salt the tank?

Ya the salt is currently at 0.1%, I will gradually increase it in the next couple of days.

But wont 0.3% be too much for goldfish? Will 0.1-0.2% be enough?

By the way, each tablet contains 100mg of prazi. So is 700mg for 40gal too much? I just follow the instruction that says 1 tablet per 20 liters

Edited by kerry123

You need the salt to be at 0.3% for it to be at its ideal effectiveness. Some people actually go higher.

Your instruction for the Prazi is what you should follow in terms of the dosage :)

Ok then I'll slowly increase it to 0.3%. Just want to make sure one thing: for my aquarium salt it state to add 1 tablespoon per 20 liters of tank water, does this gives a concentration of 0.1%?

It's close to 0.1%, but not quite.

Keep in mind that salt is used at a wide range of concentrations, and the dose recommended on boxes are not what are considered treatment doses. The doses that I am suggesting come straight out of University publications and fish health and disease text books.

So I'll add twice the amount I'm adding, so currently I'm adding 7 tablespoons for 40 gal (which gives a concentration close to 0.1), so I'll need to add another 14 tablespoon to get to 0.3%, is that right?(sorry not very good at math :P )

Actually, let's assume you on have 39 gallons of actual water. To make 0.1% salt concentration, you will want 39 teaspoons, or 13 level tablespoons.

Then you will need to do that twice to get it to 0.3%.