Sign in to follow this  
jesswyn

Alternitive Tank Stands

Hey guys, as some of you know from other threads I am currently looking for a sturdier place to put my tank. My current tank (50gallon) is on a wobbly scary black metal stand with no middle support with the 10 gallon quantine tank under it. it leans slightly forward and theres no way to level it, if I were to hammer a wood shim under one of the peg legs it would pop out and the tank would smash on the floor. So I want to buy a new stand, but would prefer to go for some cheapish furniture. As stated in another thread, the owner of the house is uncomfortable with a cinderblock stand as they believe the second floor wont support it, plus it would be very difficult to set up having someone hole up the current tank and me under them trying to set up the wood, cinderblocks, cables ect, theres no where to put the tank. If it were set on the floor, the edges would make it extremely difficult to pick up. ANYWAY, here are my questions....

1. Would a plain wooden kitchen dining table be able to support it, even if it has no middle support, if it has thick legs?

2. What about a dresser? How would I be able to tell (by looking at it) that its sturdy enough? (I don't feel like sitting on peoples furniture at the store...)

3. I've seen these things lately I have never seen before (I basicly lived in a cave my whole live in australia, now that i;m in canada I have discovered many things!) they are called Hope Chests, they look like big wood deep freezers, thick wood on the outside and empty inside. What about one of these? Would it hold?

I'd like to know of any alternitve stands anyone else has, like tv cabnets or coffee tables ect! How to tell if theyre good and pictures would be awesome :)

Also I need something stable and tall for my ten gallon, i'd prefer it higher up than what it is now as my knees get incredibly sore kneeling down there for water changes. Would most furniture support a 10 gallon coz its smaller, or do the same rules apply as bigger tanks (fancy architect rules that I don't know)?

Thanks guys for any ideas! :)

Edited by jesswyn

If the tank is on an aquarium stand, that's probably stronger than the other things you are considering. I would not put a tank on most of the things you list, unless the top is very thick and is solid wood AND if the piece had a center support.

As I mentioned, you could easily attach your stand to the wall and level it. I have all of my big pieces of furniture attached to the wall for stability because I have children who might climb on them.

Just adding to the first post, I would look at this hope chest and think "yeah that would hold my tank!" but maybe others here can tell by looking at the wood or feet or something and say "no, that would break, because..." ect and thats the kinda stuff i'd like to know when I go out looking for furniture :)

ene3ip5ph1tijmcedeqcgjeio6_1.jpg

I also think this dresser looks sturdy, but someone might say the way the draws are placed = unbalenced this and that

mn5do3o0vqqhr38gbofhnvd273_1.jpg

I'd also like to think this (without the wheels) would be good for the 10 gallon, would that be right ? (assuming the length is right)

cabinet_artisan.jpg

If the tank is on an aquarium stand, that's probably stronger than the other things you are considering. I would not put a tank on most of the things you list, unless the top is very thick and is solid wood AND if the piece had a center support.

As I mentioned, you could easily attach your stand to the wall and level it. I have all of my big pieces of furniture attached to the wall for stability because I have children who might climb on them.

How is the tank attached to the wall? (I forgot to ask in the last thread) if it has anything to do with drilling holes in the wall or anything like that, i'll likely be told a big no :(

I personally wouldn't put a 50g on anything other than an aquarium stand, as they are designed to hold such weight, whereas chests of drawers, tv stands etc, are not. since you feel your current stand looks too unsafe, have you tried looking on like Craigslist to see if anyone has an unwanted tank stand? you could even post a wanted ad out instead of waiting for one to turn up!

lol, I use this for my 29 gallon with no problems

expedit-shelving-unit__0086571_PE215404_S4.JPG

IKEA MADE SON

How is the tank attached to the wall? (I forgot to ask in the last thread) if it has anything to do with drilling holes in the wall or anything like that, i'll likely be told a big no :(

I have my 36 on an antique sewing table. But 50 gallons is bigger. I would be leery of putting it on something that wasn't very strong. I put an older tube-style TV on a dresser like that, and it bowed. And the TV weighed a whole lot less than your tank. :blink:

Yes, you have drill a hole to attach it to the wall. A small hole is easily repaired later. It's much easier to patch a small hole that to clean up 50 gallons of water!

I screw an L bracket into a stud. Then I use a zip tie to attach the stand to the L bracket. You could also add a block of wood to the wall to keep the tank from rocking backwards. This doesn't hold up your tank -- you still have to have a strong stand. But tanks on metal stands have a high center of gravity and are a little to wobbly for my comfort, so this would keep it steady.

yaapp, that stand may be okay for a 29g but I definitely wouldn't risk putting a 50g on just some Ikea stand/table. I mean, Ikea isn't really known for excellent quality, sturdy products! at least, not in the UK. looks nice but somewhat flimsy.

mkay, thanks for the input guys! I'm not sure if canada has a craigslist, we have castanet but i check that everyday, plenty of aquariums but never any stands. If I can't find a proper aquairum stadn as a replacement, ill try what snapback.pngShawneeRiver suggested :)

hey jesswyn welcome to canada! :) lol the best places to check for used aquarium stands on the internet here in canada are kijiji.ca and craigslist.ca

both websites are good.. just typein whereabouts in canada you are and you should get alot of hits! :)

I have one of my tanks on one of these: http://www.petco.com/product/114368/Aquatic-Fundamentals-Silver-Vein-Scroll-Aquarium-Stand.aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_StandsFurniture

They shipped it fast, got it before I even knew they shipped it. Very cheap. There are others on there, too, in this price range. The one I have is pretty sturdy and was easy to assemble. Another of my tanks is on a dresser with very thick wood, well made.