Sign in to follow this  
woodsliv

Pond gold fish is super swollen up

I have a back yard pond, about 300 gal. It is filtered 24/7 and has top water flow. I clean the bottom of the pond every year and have never had a sick fish. I have 15 fish, 2 koi and 13 gold fish. 2 of the gold fish are swelling up, at first we thought the were pregnant, but 1 of them is about to explode. the scales stick out. I guess it is dropsy, but in 4 years this is the 1st time any fish have gotten sick. The fish stay in the pond year round. Is there anything that I can do for these fish?

Sorry you're having problems with your fish :(

Could you please fill out these questions (as best you can) to give us more info on your setup:

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Yes, there are things that we can definitely try to do to intervene, and the success rate really depends on how soon this is caught and whether the fish is still interested in food or not. You will need to quarantine the fish in a 10g tank. You will also need: a heater, Epsom salt, Metro-Meds from goldfish connection.com. The last is really important to have, and the seller is pretty good about sending it out quickly. Before that, you can try to see if your LFS has metronidazole or Jungle antiparasite medicated food (contains metronidazole as one of the active ingredients).

Once you isolate the fish in QT, could you take some pics and/or videos of the fish. We can go from there.

welcome to kokos.. i am sorry you're having problems with your fish :( never a good or easy thing to have to go through, but we're here to help you bring your fish back to better health if possible :)

the moment we get the answers to the questions above and a couple of pics, we'll be able to help some more.

please ask anything you need to know, we're here and more than happy to respond :)

hello, any updates?