I need a new LED light

If the choices were just between those two, I would go with the double bright. The single bright is supposed to replace the single-tube standard fluorescent fixtures that often come with tank hoods--the kind that most people eventually discover are not enough light. The double bright is supposed to mimic (as you might guess) a light fixture with two fluorescent tubes in it.

If you have any plants, definitely go with at least the double bright. I have heard reports of even this not being enough light to grow plants, though I think some people have had success with it. But the single bright is almost certainly not enough.

I am still a little weary of LED fixtures generally. The individual lights are supposed to last for years and years, but if they do go out, you have to replace the whole fixture to get that light back. Which can be expensive. I really wish I weren't so afraid of this happening, but I am, and I've experienced it, and it's kind of sad to watch your LEDs die one by one while all you can do is watch. So maybe consider a non-LED light, if you don't have your heart set on LEDs.

There are a lot of really neat new LED products that I know close to nothing about yet, which might be worth looking into. The Marineland single and double brights are fairly old news as far as LEDs are concerned. Check out some newer ones also. :)

I guess the important question here is: do you have or want to have plants? What kinds?

I have the double bright on my 29 gallon and love it. :)

I definitely wouldn't want it any dimmer, the way the light fits on my tank there is a 3-4 inch gap on each end of the tank with the light over the middle. It still lights up the ends just fine but I was worried the single bright would make the ends of my tank look too dark.

The moonlight is amazing also! I have pics of both light settings if you would like to see.

Double brights for sure on a 55 gallon. And since the tank is 48 inches wide I would go with the 48-60 inch light so the lights go from one side to the other . . .

I have the double brights on my 40 gallon breeder and like them a lot. A 40 gallon breeder isn't as deep as a 55 though.

Good luck with your decision!

I always thought the LED lights weren't as good for plants though, that the tube lights mimic sunlight a little bit better? If they're just as good I might be thinking about changing mine over now, LOL!

I always thought the LED lights weren't as good for plants though, that the tube lights mimic sunlight a little bit better?

I've heard this too, but I don't know. I'm growing plants in my dim 10 with an LED light, but I also shine my desk incandescent on it all day.

Yaapp, I suggest you get the fixture that's made out of cheese.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Mmmm, cheeselights.

LEDs are a little behind other kinds of light fixtures when it comes to growing plants. I think things are starting to look up, but I still think generally plant-growing-people go for other kinds of light more often than LEDs still.

Marineland has a brand-new plant-specific LED fixture out soon or recently out. I haven't read any reviews of it yet but it looks interesting.

All the plants I currently have are low light and they've been doing ok in my tank with the double bright.

It's good to know that the single isn't that great.

Marineland has a brand-new plant-specific LED fixture out soon or recently out. I haven't read any reviews of it yet but it looks interesting.

I looked into those before I bought my double bright. I asked if they could give me an idea on pricing as I would have liked to try the new light not only for the possibility of having plants in the tank but it also has one switch for daytime and one switch for nighttime lights. The Marineland rep said the new light would be a "premium product" with pricing comparable to or perhaps slightly more than the reef capable LEDs. For that much more $$ (probably 2.5 to 3Xs the double brights) I decided that I could just buy the moss balls I wanted and risk them dying . . . . and switch it from daytime to nighttime myself.

I've been happy with the double brights so far--the moss balls have survived! :)

Edited by fantailfan1

Hopefully, amynmitchell will see this and comment more, but she recently contacted Marineland and asked them them about their LEDs and plants, and their answer was that neither the single or double-brights are sufficient to sustain much plant growth.

I looked into those before I bought my double bright. I asked if they could give me an idea on pricing as I would have liked to try the new light not only for the possibility of having plants in the tank but it also has one switch for daytime and one switch for nighttime lights. The Marineland rep said the new light would be a "premium product" with pricing comparable to or perhaps slightly more than the reef capable LEDs. For that much more $$ (probably 2.5 to 3Xs the double brights) I decided that I could just buy the moss balls I wanted and risk them dying . . . . and switch it from daytime to nighttime myself.

I've been happy with the double brights so far--the moss balls have survived! :)

Oh I'm sure they'll be expensive--but a lot of plant-growing lights are expensive. LEDs doubly so. But they do add an interesting point to the discussion of plants and LEDs. I am not sure it'd be worth it to me, personally, but it might be to someone.

Hopefully, amynmitchell will see this and comment more, but she recently contacted Marineland and asked them them about their LEDs and plants, and their answer was that neither the single or double-brights are sufficient to sustain much plant growth.

Yep same thing they told me. I was really only interested in moss balls which I know aren't true plants. They said the double brights "may" be able to sustain moss balls but suggested I wait until the "new and improved" lights were available. I think if I were interested in a planted tank, I would look elsewhere .

I have a pretty heavily planted tank...all with low light plants. When I called the answer was a big strong no as far as providing enough light for plants. I have heard elsewhere that the reef lights might work, but I didn't want to risk it. I got another t-5 fixture instead. It is a shame because I did like the idea of the LED lights.