Here we have Pierre.

He is my probably going on two years old or so Apple Snail.

I got him back when I had bettas, really towards the end of their lives, they were quite old. I had an algae problem and didn't know anything about these guys. He was all of five dollars, and they said 'He'll live for five months.' ffft.

Yeah right. xD

I've come to love snails now, he really adds interest to the tank. And he sure keeps the algae gone (except for the crop on his shell.)

QI8ZJ.png

FVzHG.png

YKhRB.png

I also have about twenty ghost shrimp bought for a rope fish that didn't work out.

I thought the goldfish would eat them but they don't...

but if they die Pierre takes care of it.

Snails are wonderful.

He's a little cutie :)

Do snails clean the algae off gravel too?

Oh yes!

I had quite a carpet of algae before Pierre.

WHEREVER there is algae he will suck it off. piece by piece if he has to. xD

and then when it's gone I feed him the greens my beardy doesn't eat.

Ive been afraid to get an apple snails. I read that they can float across the surface and paratrooper down, possible landing on a fish and eating it. Idk if it's smeg but I really did wonder.

Ive been afraid to get an apple snails. I read that they can float across the surface and paratrooper down, possible landing on a fish and eating it. Idk if it's smeg but I really did wonder.

That is entirely untrue. xD trust me.

they have no interest in the fish, only the greens. And any time they start to float to the bottom the fish just scoot away. The one time Pierre TOUCHED a fish he panicked and tucked back into his shell.

they WILL eat already dead critters. Shrimp, fish, etc. But only if it isn't moving to fight back.

I have Nerites right now with my goldies, and have had mystery snails before. The bigger concern is the goldfish trying to eat the snails...

I have Nerites right now with my goldies, and have had mystery snails before. The bigger concern is the goldfish trying to eat the snails...

So true!

Thankfully Pierre is the size of a softball. So he doesn't get any trouble from the goldies.

Oh he is so pretty. I miss my snail! He somehow escaped when I was on vacation and I never found him!

Oh, that's awful! D:

I would miss Pierre a lot. And feel terrible.

I want nerites sooooooo freakin bad!!! Everyone has them in salt water around here. Been trying to find out the acclamation procedure. Yeah I thought it was kinda out there , paratrooper snails of death.

He is that big??????? Can we have a size picture with your hand or something? Crazy!!!

I have a video of him, though I am unsure how to imbed them here. xD

He is not hand shy at all. He lets me pick him up and move him around a lot.

That is a huge snail! Snails are super interesting creatures, and yours is amazing. :)

What's really fun is when all the ghost shrimp pile on top of him and ride him around.

Like the worlds slowest piggyback ride! lmao.

Hmmm, perhaps you have really really tiny hands which just makes him look huge :) Do you add a calcium supplement at all ?

I haven't before, but I am beginning to think I should. his shell is healthy and strong right now, but there are these calcium 'shells' at the local pet store, that you drop into the water and they slowly dissolve over time, and I think he could benefit from some. c: I plan to grab them when I go in a few days.

also trust me. ;3 my hands aren't tiny. I am a full 5'9" in real life, and my fingers are pretty dang long, too. lol

Edited by Drowsy

=o Oh wow.He's huge!

I've never had any luck with snails,although I love them to bits. Ended up killing my first one by putting it in water with high ammonia (before I found Kokos),and I just lost my trapdoor last week,no idea why. =/

WOW! Was he that big when you got him? I don't think I've ever seen a snail that big! Just the 1 in the original "Dr. Doolittle" w/ Rex Harrison!

WOW! Was he that big when you got him? I don't think I've ever seen a snail that big! Just the 1 in the original "Dr. Doolittle" w/ Rex Harrison!

He was a little smaller when I got him. c: He's grown a surprising amount int he past year and a half.

Oh. My. Gosh. That is the coolest thing ever! He is so huge!!!! I've never seen a snail that big!!!!! And he is so not afraid of you holding and everything....... I officially love him :heart

He is really calm!

He wasn't when I got him, but now he is. And he is such a little speed demon (for a snail).

It's fun to watch him trucking around the tank looking for food. He is VERY active.