Sign in to follow this  
rdoyle225

Why cook veggie if they are going into gel food

Ok just like the title said. If you make them into a prue why cook them, dont you lose most of the nution in them if you cook them?

No, unless you're overcooking them. It's pretty hard to puree most raw vegetables.

I don't cook any of the vegetables. Just put them directly in the blender. Works perfectly fine.

I only cook them enough to soften them - easier to blend.

I use baby food veggies because, um, I am lazy :rofl

Exactly. I just cook them enough to be a bit soft so they blend better. Carrots are kind of hard to blend when raw lol

I just steam them enough to puree them. If you have something like a vitamix you could do them raw, but it depends on what you put in there and how strong your blender is.

Goldfish digestive systems aren't the most sophisticated or thorough. Cooking vegetables slightly tends to break down cell walls and make it easier for them to get at the nutrition. If you're pureeing them down to a liquid, that'd probably accomplish the same thing, but veggies can be tougher than you think. Just giving them a quick blanch can shore up any deficiencies with your puree.

Oh, and with certain foods like spinach, cooking is almost necessary to get at the nutrition; sorry salad lovers. :P

Blanching works a treat on most things, it also gets rid of most nasties on the surface. Goldfish’s digestive tracts leave… A LOT to be desired, so making food super digestible (for certain veg that may mean cooking it a bit, for most blanching or a light steam will do) is important if you want to make sure they get the most out of their food. It’s also important to make it easy to pass/move through the tract for our shorter bodied (and hence crumpled digestive tract-ed) fancy friends, and that often goes hand in hand with digestibility.

The more digestible it is, the less they will pass as waste to foul up your tank too :)

i steam them.. we have steamed veggies every night.. i just add some extra to the steamer on the night i'm making gelfood. i add carrots too. carrots can be pretty harsh even in small chunks. considering that we advise to dissolve salt fully before adding to the tank as the granules may irritate the gills. well, carrot can do that too.

i steam them.. we have steamed veggies every night.. i just add some extra to the steamer on the night i'm making gelfood. i add carrots too. carrots can be pretty harsh even in small chunks. considering that we advise to dissolve salt fully before adding to the tank as the granules may irritate the gills. well, carrot can do that too.

Helen, you guys eat waaaay healthier them me! :lol

lol.. true, we don't live outta a microwave :P

tbh, we never had one when i was growing up, so i never learned to cook with one (tis a good thing :) ) then i saw that news report on current affair. that microwaving vegetables almost immediately reduces all their goodness to literally 0 in seconds :yikes so glad i don't use the microwave.. only on dire emergencies.

lol.. true, we don't live outta a microwave :P

tbh, we never had one when i was growing up, so i never learned to cook with one (tis a good thing :) ) then i saw that news report on current affair. that microwaving vegetables almost immediately reduces all their goodness to literally 0 in seconds :yikes so glad i don't use the microwave.. only on dire emergencies.

Hey I also use the stovetop! Sometimes anyway... But the oven, pretty much never. :rofl

I have been slowly learning to cook, but yeah, 2 min noodles out of the microwave are still a staple food. :Scoff:

:lol3 I dont have a "microwave" :o

I don't have one either koko! Just miss it on rainy nights when I crave popcorn and I have to do the entire pan cooking saga!

I don't have one either koko! Just miss it on rainy nights when I crave popcorn and I have to do the entire pan cooking saga!

:lol Thats about the only thing I miss it for Pop Corn :lol

Why do yall get a air popcorn maker. I have one got it from target for 20.00 and get the seeds. then you can have all the popcorn you can eat. it is easy to do. my 4 year know how to use it. I have to hide it from him or I would wake up and there would be popcorn all over the place. It is something Like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-PopLite-Hot-Air-Popcorn-Popper-04820/5969519

Bah. Just make your popcorn in a pan. :P

I would have popcorn exploded everywhere! :P

Put the lid on, or even just a perforated pie plate.

Yeah but that requires work :lol3