pH tap--7.8

pH fish store (I asked when we bought him)--7.8

API Master Test Kit

Tank Temp--76*

10 gallon QT tank set up today using cycled Emperor 280 filter

Water will be changed according to water parameters, using Prime

1 fish in tank, new ryukin, maybe 2 inches long nit including tail

No meds or salt added

I just noticed a long stringy white poo coming from him. He ate fine and is active but we've only had him for about 4 hours . . .

How (or should) I treat him?

Thanks.

The stringy poop could just be stress from moving etc. This is not unusual with new fish. I would just keep watch for now.

You might want to salt and Prazi treat, though :)

I was thinking perhaps the white poo was due to stress. Now that I've had more of a chance to observe him, he is kind of a spazz--darting around a lot. Maybe I should just watch him more and see if any other symptoms show up and treat accordingly?

in addition to that, i would as of tomorrow (ie, fast him today), see if he will eat some peas and just feed him peas for that 24 hour period. if his poop begins to form a nice green colour, then i would assume there is nothing wrong..

congratulations on the new fish :) ryukin is an excellent choice ;)

I fed him earlier (not long after we got him and before I saw stakos' post) and since then I have noticed a food color poo so I guess that's a good sign. I will fast him tomorrow and feed peas on Wednesday just to be sure.

I have never seen a fish dart around a tank like he does. I know they can do that with poor water quality but I'm 99% sure that's not the issue. Maybe flukes? I haven't started any salt or Prazi as I wasn't sure which to start with. Any suggestions?

stakos--I do love ryukin but he is certainly NOT the quality of yours! Actually he looks more like a fantail to me but since he's my son's fish I let him pick the one he liked best. I had a couple others that I preferred but he said they both reminded him too much of his fish that died about a week ago. He didn't want to be reminded of his old fish every time he looked at his new one. I certainly couldn't argue with that! :)

I have never seen a fish dart around a tank like he does. I know they can do that with poor water quality but I'm 99% sure that's not the issue. Maybe flukes? I haven't started any salt or Prazi as I wasn't sure which to start with. Any suggestions?

stakos--I do love ryukin but he is certainly NOT the quality of yours!

if the fish are darting, the first thing i would try is prazi and salt. they're both very mild and highly effective.

a quality fish is a live one ;) asthetically, they can be anything, i prefer the ryukin :)

I have AquaPrazi, I believe from Goldfish Connection? Anyway it says on hte label "Do not use any other drugs or treatments". Should I prazi first then salt? Or is there a different prazi available that can be used with salt?

I watched him for a good amount of time at the fish store and he wasn't darting there . .. . Darn him for saving his darting for home! :)

Salt is fine and should be used with prazi in order to reduce the chances of secondary infection from the flukes.

With aqua prazi you can salt the tank to .3% for the duration of treatment, but raise it slowly .1% (1 tsp per gallon) every 12 hrs. :)

You'll want to do 4-6 rounds of prazi, and I would follow the 5 day schedule (big water change on 4th day and 5th day, add prazi again on 5th day).

Salt is fine and should be used with prazi in order to reduce the chances of secondary infection from the flukes.

With aqua prazi you can salt the tank to .3% for the duration of treatment, but raise it slowly .1% (1 tsp per gallon) every 12 hrs. :)

You'll want to do 4-6 rounds of prazi, and I would follow the 5 day schedule (big water change on 4th day and 5th day, add prazi again on 5th day).

posting to learn for myself here as these meds aren't available in AUS.. Tithra, is aqua prazi different from PraziPro? i only ask because i am told PraziPro is a liquid and you can only salt to 0.2%. it's the first time i hear Aqua Prazi, is that a liquid or a powder? if liquid, i wonder if the same salt level applies?

posting to learn for myself here as these meds aren't available in AUS.. Tithra, is aqua prazi different from PraziPro? i only ask because i am told PraziPro is a liquid and you can only salt to 0.2%. it's the first time i hear Aqua Prazi, is that a liquid or a powder? if liquid, i wonder if the same salt level applies?

yes, my understanding is that aqua prazi is a different formulation from prazi pro and is effective with .3% salt, however I have no idea what makes it different. Perhaps Alex can answer that? EDIT: it is a powder not a liquid formulation

AquaPrazi is a powder, and is basically 100% praziquantel. This is the same as Fluke-Solve in the UK and your fluke tablets in Australia. I actually like the powder better, because it allows us to salt to 0.3%, instead of Prazipro, where to be safe we have to keep salt at 0.1% (0.2% is the limit). The only annoyance is that it is pretty hard to dissolve the powder.

Yep, it's a powder and I got it when I had my 90 gallon tank. I think it's more geared towards ponds as the directions state 1 gram treats 100 gallons, 10 grams treats 1000 gallons. Then it says to distribute the mixture around the edge of the pond or directly into the skimmer. I'm going to need to get out my gram scale for this as the new fish is in only a 10 gallon.

It also says that only one treatment lasting 7 days with NO water changes should be sufficient. Do I believe that or do a water change around day 4 or 5? I honestly don't remember using this before . . . I had fish laden with chilodonella that I treated for months with high salt (0.8% believe it or not! with the help of former Mod toothless) and PP. We must have treated for flukes at some point.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your help! :)

Edited by fantailfan1

ok, that makes sense.. thanks guys, it's nice to learn something new about the meds you have available to you :)

Not to get too off topic, but is there a reason why the powder formulations are okay with .3% salt while prazipro is not (would this hold true for all liquid prazi formulations?), just curious if you know the reason for this Alex?

It also says that only one treatment lasting 7 days with NO water changes should be sufficient. Do I believe that or do a water change around day 4 or 5? I honestly don't remember using this before . . . I had fish laden with chilodonella that I treated for months with high salt (0.8% believe it or not! with the help of former Mod toothless) and PP. We must have treated for flukes at some point.

With 0.8% salt, any flukes (or anything else for that matter) would have been killed without much need for Prazi. How long did you go with 0.8% salt? That is well within tolerable range, but extremely high, still. Also, how was diagnosis for chilodonella made? Sorry for all the questions. I just find it very interesting.

As for the 7 days without WCs, you can certainly leave it for that long, although I prefer to do a WC after 4 days, since the Prazi will have been inactivated by that point, AND the WC allows you the opportunity to vacuum and remove fluke eggs etc, thus significant reducing the next cycle before starting again. :)

Una, yup the best way to dissolve the AquaPrazi is with just a little bit of vodka :rofl

I will have to dig up that thread and see how long we did the high salt . . . it was years and years ago. I actually bought a microscope, had my husband take pics and videos and he posted them for toothless to see. It was insane. As far as asking all the questions--I don't mind at all!! Even after all these years I still ask soooo many questions.

I'll get started with the salt and prazi tomorrow and plan on a large water change day 4. :)

I will have to dig up that thread and see how long we did the high salt . . . it was years and years ago. I actually bought a microscope, had my husband take pics and videos and he posted them for toothless to see. It was insane. As far as asking all the questions--I don't mind at all!! Even after all these years I still ask soooo many questions.

I'll get started with the salt and prazi tomorrow and plan on a large water change day 4. :)

I had figured that a scope had to be involved. :)

I'm really glad you brought up chilodonella, because it made me go consult my parasite book, and I am very happy to know that the 5 minute 3% salt dip, which I favor, is also a very effective means of treating this parasite. :)

Good luck, and we are here :)

I found the (21 page!!) thread. Here is a link if you are so inclined:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37176-parasite/page__hl__chilodonella

I really need to get to bed but I think I will read it tomorrow. I think it spans about 6 months. I read the first few pages then skipped to the end. The salt was somewhere in between as we started with some sort of parasite treatment and ended with 4 hour 4ppm PP baths . . .. It was rather labor intensive to say the least . . .

Thanks again for the help everyone!

I've salted to 0.1% (so far) and added the prazi. The tank temp is about 77* without a heater. Should it be higher? (I do have a heater for the tank if needed . . .)

77 is totally fine. Continue salting to 0.3%, please :)

OK, I'll leave it at 77* and I'm upping the salt to 0.2% later this evening and to 0.3% tomorrow.

Today is Day 3 of prazi and salt treatment. I plan on doing a large wc tomorrow and the next day and adding more prazi in then.

The lil guy (who my son named "Bob") is doing well. I rarely see him dart and, after 2 days of only peas, is having nice green poo!

My question is--my tank was at 77* without a heater (it was 90* here on Monday) but is down to about 72* today (it is now 49* and raining outside--Michigan weather is crazy). Should I put a heater on the tank to bring it back up to 77-78* range?

Thanks!

Yay! I'm glad things seem to be improving. :)

A temp of 72 is pretty ideal, and as long as the temps are in the 70s, I would not bother trying to change it.

hmm been reading thru this post and being a newbie on this I never did any quarantine as bought all my fish from same 2 online dealers and just assumed they treat their fish before selling..silly me duh...a

sometimes my fish have those stringy poos.. and then they have poos that are green or brown depending on what they ate..

I do add aquarium salt.. I measure out the coarse salt in a plastic cup add warm water and let sit for about 20 minutes then pour in the liquid but not the crystals into the tank sometimes along with Prime when I do my water changes.. So should I buy some Prazi and treat the whole tank or do a treatment for each fish in a smaller containment? I guess the whole tank as it would be contaminated now..dang..who said this was easy?? Anyways, I have live plants and gravel and use well water as we live in the country..