here we go again....

you guys are going to hate me, i realize I've asked questions like this far too many times, but here goes. (last time! i promise!)

okay, so eventually i will get some super fabulous lights recommended to me by Jessica, but that could be a few more months or so (it's complicated :P ) what i want to know, is until then, is this light http://www.petsmart....ductId=11248153 good for plant growth? I want to sand and plant the goldie tank, so i was wondering if this light i strong enough. If i got it and like it, then i probably would not get the light that jess recommended, but who knows. plants i want: swords, moss balls, italian val, pennywort, and anubias.

sorry for being annoying, and thanks for your help :)

Really? Fabulous!! :) :) :) thanks Shawn! And Dan!

One more unrelated question- how high should my filter intake be so it doesn't suck up sand? How do image sure no sand gets in there?

Edited by pandamanda111

You could always cover your intake spouts with filter floss or sponge so that the fine granules won't get sucked into it. That should help without impeding or slowing down flow :)

I have that light, and it is okay for my plants. I really think they would do better in more light, but they are not dying under that one. However, my tank is only a foot deep. The thing about that light is that it's just normal T5, not T5HO, so the bulbs will be a little harder to find (though they should always be at Petsmart for as long as Petsmart stocks the light) and the light is considerably weaker than what other people are used to from T5HOs.

When I set up my huge tank I will get the light that Jess recommended to you. And I'm really excited about that.

But then how will all the other stuff that the filter sucks up get in? You know, poop, extra food... :)

Good question. But if it gets suctioned to the floss/sponge you can always rinse out the floss/sponge in the removed tank water during a water change?

I find sand in my filters all the time. I think the sand killed my Penguin filters when I first put it in, but my AC and Cascade don't seem to have a problem with it.

Really? How much sand? I have an extension on my intake. Should I remove it? That would make the intake very short. :)

My intakes are standard. The thing is, the fish are always sifting in the sand, and they like to swim up and spit it on the first unsuspecting friend they find. So the sand moves around. I've had sand since September with no issues after the Penguin died immediately.