Do Meteor and Egg Goldfish Even Exist?

The goldfish book "Your Happy Healthy Pet Goldfish 2nd Edition" says that Egg fish are " short, rounded, egg-shaped....lacks a dorsal fin but has a large fantail and short pectoral and pelvic fins....fell out of favor and is difficult to find"

Meteor:

"...Most strange and exotic of all goldfish because it lacks something that all other goldfish have: an tail...round shape body...high erect dorsal fin...large anal fin, both of which make up for the missing caudal fin...Meteors are very rare....growing interest will bring them more...availability:

Google does not give me ANY images of either fish. They're just random pictures. Nor does Flickr.

Even Wikipedia hasn't supplied any pictures. Are these fish just rumors??

From the Bristol Aquarist's society site:

"The meteor: fish with no tail (although this may be a self-perpetuating rumour; the Website Author has yet to see a photograph of such a fish, either in books or on the Internet)"

This is supposedly a meteor:

1cb995e2.jpg

(from this site: http://kingyokamisama.blogspot.com/2008/09/kingyo-no-hinshu_12.html)

A goldfish without a tail? That's a super depressing sight, I even frowned at the picture Koko supplied. I don't think I could enjoy a tank with a bunch tailless fish.

The egg fish I thought was another name for a Shukin and a phoenix.

From all the books and online info I have read, Meteors and Eggfish were once goldfish "breeds" but are not popular any more. Thus, nobody is breeding them. However, now and then some will hatch out as deformities, but normally they are culled. Because of random deformities, we have most of our "standard breeds" of goldfish today. Someone just has to select the deformities and refine the "breed".

Basically, eggfish are like shukin/ryukin/lionhead/celestial/bubble eye but with out the head growth or googly eyes.

Phoenix eggfish are supposed to have a long flowing veiltail.

I have an "eggfish" that I got at the LFS, but likely he is a ryukin or celestial that did not develop the extra growths. I selected him because he is an eggfish and not many people can say they have one, and I just love the simple beauty of his shape and his smooth back. :)

Edited by Acro

Thanks, guys :3

I always thought these fish did not actually exist...

and interesting picture, tithra.....it is sad to see fish like that, but it is very interesting.

:o My toast burned while I was looking at the pictures! Oh well, I guess the mourning doves outside get a treat...

But those are some neat pictures. I'd never actually seen those fish before....how bizarre but in a way they're beautiful! And Shawnee your fish are ADORABLE!

• 4 weeks later...

She could be either, although I thought lionheads had bigger, almost squarish wens. Eggbert has very little wen. I'm not saying that she's an eggfish -- I just think her body is very round and eggy. She actually looks a bit pearlscale to me. She's very round, and near her belly, her scales are lighter in the center. :)

Saw a video of a meteor fish before on another forum. It was strange to see a goldfish without a tail but stranger still to watch them swim. They do so with little difficulty, but they rocket through the water, sometimes spiraling, moving much fast than their fully tailed counterparts. For the most part they would just hover about, and when they did decided to swim it would be in sporadic bursts. Not aesthetically pleasing, but definitely interesting =)

• Admin

She could be either, although I thought lionheads had bigger, almost squarish wens. Eggbert has very little wen. I'm not saying that she's an eggfish -- I just think her body is very round and eggy. She actually looks a bit pearlscale to me. She's very round, and near her belly, her scales are lighter in the center. :)

Oh i can see the eggyness hun... I was just saying how straight the back is compared to a Chu :)