Sign in to follow this  
spillie

Time for a wen-trimming?

The brown oranda I got a few weeks ago has the most enourmous wen relative to his body. He swims just fine, but whenever he stops to rest, he upends (head down-tail up). In any other fish, I'd suspect SBD, but in this case, I suspect it is just that his wen is so ginourmous. It must be very uncomforble. In the QT, he learned to rest his wen against the filter intake so as to be more or less level, but in my big tank, where he went today, there is nothing similar. So, I put the tried and true blender jar in the tank, thinking he might be able to level out in the mouth of it (as my poor SBD afflicted Scooter used to), but it doesn't seem to work for him thus far--he may be a bit too small. I am going to float him in colandar for now, poor guy, but I wonder if wen trimming is in order? I actually am not at all sure I want to understake it, but he really cannot be happy hanging upside down like this. I could also give him a round of MG and see if that helps any (in case it is a swim bladder inflamation)....but it is more likely to be the wen, right?

Here is a not-very-good shot of his wen from about 3-4 weeks ago when he was first in QT -it's actually a bit bigger now.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp178/Spillie/newfish041.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp178/Spillie/newfish001.jpghttp://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp178/Spillie/newfish001.jpg

What do you all think? And If I trim the wen, gosh, what on earth do I do for pain management for the little guy? (I have clove oil I could use for the actual procedure). I am very, very unsure about wen trimming..but I may need to do it...?

Edited by spillie

That wen is huge, and I can understand why you would want to trim the wen. I think people have trimmed wen with just clove oil before, and it's worked very well :)

i agree with Alex, wen trimming is a very normal thing to do, personally, i would do it at my utmost calmest time of the day, especially when others are not around... i encourage you to search youtube on the matter, i recall having to research this (not for myself) a few years ago and there is a lot of helpful information from others who have experienced wen trimming.

Hi Alex, thanks for stopping by! Do you think it might work to make him more balanced? Would I take it off the front as well as the sides? I am not quite sure how to take it off without making him look funny/risking taking too much off and really hurting him.

hun, would you try to video it so that we can all learn from you too? :)

i agree with Alex, wen trimming is a very normal thing to do, personally, i would do it at my utmost calmest time of the day, especially when others are not around... i encourage you to search youtube on the matter, i recall having to research this (not for myself) a few years ago and there is a lot of helpful information from others who have experienced wen trimming.

That is a very good idea. I need to do it at the calmest time of the day--for me! I think I'll probably just about have a heart attack if I try this. Thanks for stopping by also, Stakos--I'll definitely look on youtube.

Spillie, there is a reference somewhere with this. I'll try to find it for you.

hun, would you try to video it so that we can all learn from you too? :)

If I can! I only have a little pocket camera with a video function,but I'll try to set it so it can record my..attempt. First, I need to get some sharp embroidery scissors, it seems.

Edited by spillie

Here you go. I normally do not reference other forums, but I think on this one we can share, since they have a very comprehensive thread on trimming :)

http://goldfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819

I agree with Helen, if possible, try to make a video :)

I wonder if he is stunted. I just noticed that his body seems small, even his tail compared to that big old head. It may be that he is having issues due to that, though the extra wen probably doesn't help either.

HOLEY CATS!!!! YOU TRIM THEIR FREAKIN HEADS?!¿!? That just completely, totally and thoroughly freaks me out! I really thought I wanted that type fish, I stopped thinking that about the same time I picked my chin off the floor. It sound so scary and dangerous. May the force be with you.

Dude, trim it to a mohawk

I would definitely make sure it's not his swim bladder before you go trimming his wen. If, after that, you still think it's necessary, then take the necessary precautions and go for it.

I do think he is stunted--his tail is way to small for his body, and his body is way to small for his head. He also has an abnormally sized wen. He was in a tank with about 10 siblings, and eh was the only one with a wen this size, the others were also well developed, but more "balanced". I was hoping frequent small meals, which is what I did in his QT, would help his body catch up, but it seemed it rather made his wen ...bigger...

Yup, you can trim these and some people do, esp, when they cannot see. I have never done it, though, and I totally do not relish undertaking this. Makes me very squeamish. Anyway, I have to order some sharp scissors and so won't be able to do this for a bit. Will give it a weel or two a nd see how he does. I am still hoping his body will catch up--wish I had a green water tank going for him....

HOLEY CATS!!!! YOU TRIM THEIR FREAKIN HEADS?!¿!? That just completely, totally and thoroughly freaks me out! I really thought I wanted that type fish, I stopped thinking that about the same time I picked my chin off the floor. It sound so scary and dangerous. May the force be with you.

I really have no input on this topic but "holy cats" made me laugh like crazy :rofl

lol. I wouldn't let this deter you from getting one. It is relatively rare for a fish reallllly need a wen trim. It's only if the wen has gotten so large that it impede's the fish's activity level/ability to swim. Most fish, even those with large wen that cover their eyes, can get along just fine without a trim. You can also try to choose a fish that has a smaller/tighter head growth when picking one out to cut down the chance of it needing a trim in the future (although there are no gaurantees, head growth can come out of nowhere sometimes).

I am hoping to never have to do it myself ;)

Good luck Spillie! Definitely try to record the procedure for us if you end up doing it :)

I've read that the wen has the consistency of rubber.

You also may want to see if there is a fish vet in your area. They may have a stady hand to make things easier, some even make house calls.

WoW ya'll are so much more brave then me. It's all I can do to trim my leopard tortoise beak and that's just her mouth. So you just start cutting on their heads? I mean like just a little of the top or all of it?

WoW ya'll are so much more brave then me. It's all I can do to trim my leopard tortoise beak and that's just her mouth. So you just start cutting on their heads? I mean like just a little of the top or all of it?

lol, kind of like a haircut, you don't want to shave the head, just take a few inches off (so to speak). If the wen we in the fish's eyes you would trim that up so he could see, if there was a lot on top you could trim a bit off the top.

Oh and horserider glad I could be of a amusement. Nice to be good for something besides dumb@$$ questions and sounding like and idiot when it comes to goldfish. Never felt so stupid in my life. OK back to crazy afro fish drama.

Oh and horserider glad I could be of a amusement. Nice to be good for something besides dumb@$$ questions and sounding like and idiot when it comes to goldfish. Never felt so stupid in my life. OK back to crazy afro fish drama.

There are no dumb@$$ questions :D I thought people were kidding about trimming wens when I first joined and everyone was playing some kind of cruel joke on me :rofl

how did you go hun? did you manage to give your fish a wencut?

No, not yet. I am ordering sharp little scissors ...and working on building up my courage, lol. :lol

Does the fish feel it or is it just something like trimming fingernails where you feel it but it doesn't hurt?

With the clove oil, there should be minimal discomfort for the fish.