The crazy way-too-many-questions Betta thread!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, Neil :) I'll have a look around.

Anyone have ideas on how I can get mowgli to fall in love with his leaf hammock? It would make me happy if he had a comfy place in the tank that he loves, and it's so cute when bettas love their leaves! I've tried feeding him on it, but he just swims off after he is done. Any suggestions? :)

I'm really nervous to wc his tank tomorrow. Grover died 2 hours after I did his first wc, I'm worried that it was something I did. Is there anything I could have done wrong that would have caused that? First I cleaned the stuff on the bottom with a turkey baster, then I used a plastic cup to get out the rest of the 50% I removed. Then I poured primed water that was as close in temperature to the tank as possible. Does this sound right to you? Are bettas especially sensitivemgo temperature change? Im sure thenwater was atleast a degree off. I really don't want mowgli to die.

Edited by pandamanda111

For the first hammock thing: Try feeding him/putting the pellets above it. He'd swim above it and eat them. he could also be using it at night when the room is dark. My bettas sleep on the top of the plant that touches the surface. Just a word of caution, I've heard some horror stories on [another forum] where the metal bar under the leaf pops out and "guts" the fish. Just be careful.

Water changes: That's strange...You could try a smaller change at first. Or try aging the water? I've never heard of anything like that happening...

Just a word of caution, I've heard some horror stories on [another forum] where the metal bar under the leaf pops out and "guts" the fish. Just be careful.

Oh my god!! What the heck? Should I take it out?? Any way I can make it not do that?

For the first hammock thing: Try feeding him/putting the pellets above it. He'd swim above it and eat them. he could also be using it at night when the room is dark. My bettas sleep on the top of the plant that touches the surface. Just a word of caution, I've heard some horror stories on [another forum] where the metal bar under the leaf pops out and "guts" the fish. Just be careful.

Water changes: That's strange...You could try a smaller change at first. Or try aging the water? I've never heard of anything like that happening...

Just a reminder that it is poor forum etiquette to reference or direct members to other forums. If you feel it is important to do so because you feel a member is not getting adequate advice you can contact koko or a mod by PMing or reporting the thread by clicking the 'report' button (a text box will open for you to provide info). I know that you did not have any ill intentions doing this, but it is simply against the forum rules :) (Rules http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules)

Just a reminder that it is poor forum etiquette to reference or direct members to other forums. If you feel it is important to do so because you feel a member is not getting adequate advice you can contact koko or a mod by PMing or reporting the thread by clicking the 'report' button (a text box will open for you to provide info). I know that you did not have any ill intentions doing this, but it is simply against the forum rules :) (Rules http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules)

oh no! I'm so sorry. I just felt bad, I thought people were getting annoyed with my betta questions on a goldfish forum, lets face it, i ask waaayyyy too many :P don't worry, I won't be on there much. probably just looking around. I'll definitely stick around here!

No need to worry Mandie, I just wanted to remind everyone of the forum rules. I know no harm was intended or anything :)

And no one gets annoyed by you asking questions :)

Hey, it's natural to be curious. In the beginning, I went nuts when any tiny little thing went wrong...

[EDITED BY mod team]

Anyway, if not, keep those questions coming! *warms up typing fingers*

Also.....if your betta doesn't use his hammock, don't worry. Some fish just don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing. Fish are completely unique, just like people....my Omelette has more personality than some people I know xD

But I have a tea mug in his tank as a little hidey-hole. He NEVER uses it during the daytime (only the shrimp does), but if I turn on the light unexpectedly at night, I can see him all nestled up in it. Maybe your fish only feels comfortable using it when you're not looking.

And another thing!

Don't sweat the water changes. I didn't read how big your tank is, but no matter what, never do a 50% water change for a betta. It's too much of a change for the fish. Use the thermometer just to match up the water temps with each other. Also....when you change the water, putting the fish in a paper cup is a bit of a bad idea, because the water in the cup will fluctuate in temperature while you're busy emptying/filling the tank. I have a special 1 gallon tank that I put Om in while I change the water. I just take a few cup fulls of old tank water, and put him in with that. He's happy for 20 minutes while I scoop out all the junk, take out water, and fill up the tank.

Edited by tithra

Hey, it's natural to be curious. In the beginning, I went nuts when any tiny little thing went wrong...

[EDITED BY mod team]

Also.....if your betta doesn't use his hammock, don't worry. Some fish just don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing. Fish are completely unique, just like people....my Omelette has more personality than some people I know xD

But I have a tea mug in his tank as a little hidey-hole. He NEVER uses it during the daytime (only the shrimp does), but if I turn on the light unexpectedly at night, I can see him all nestled up in it. Maybe your fish only feels comfortable using it when you're not looking.

And another thing!

Don't sweat the water changes. I didn't read how big your tank is, but no matter what, never do a 50% water change for a betta. It's too much of a change for the fish. Use the thermometer just to match up the water temps with each other. Also....when you change the water, putting the fish in a paper cup is a bit of a bad idea, because the water in the cup will fluctuate in temperature while you're busy emptying/filling the tank. I have a special 1 gallon tank that I put Om in while I change the water. I just take a few cup fulls of old tank water, and put him in with that. He's happy for 20 minutes while I scoop out all the junk, take out water, and fill up the tank.

Painting Pintos, please refer to the quote above regarding directing members to other forums.

[EDITED BY mod team]

And another thing!

oh my god! i already did a 50%wc today! ack! is that bad? will he be okay? should i only do 25% wcs?

You can do 50% changes, Mandie. As long as you are matching the temperature and pH, it is no shock to the fish. With my melafix scare, I did a 90% change and matched the pH and temperature with no problems.

Mandie, I don't have much expertise in bettas, in the sense that I've never had to do much for them other than water changes. However, I have kept bettas for 24 years, and at least for me, 50% WCs in the bettas tanks are not uncommon. So, while I can't comment on whether you should regularly do 50% WCs or not, having just done a 50% WC should not be all that bad.

I completely agree with Alex and Tithra. 50% water changes are no harm as long as you are matching the pH and temperature. I do 40-50% changes every 5 days on all of my tanks, and in general, it just helps maintain a healthier environment.

I read that someone mentioned taking your fish out during a change, this causes more stress than needed. Leave the fish in, and clean the same way you would clean your goldfish tank out- siphon the gravel bed until you hit the level you want to take out, condition, buffer, and fill back up. I use my python since it is easier, but I make no where near as much suction as I would for my goldfish tank. You might just want to use the siphon and bucket method, where you will just be adding your buffer and conditioner to the buckets of water at the same temperature as your tank.

Hope this just clarifies things for you a little regarding the water changes :)