The crazy way-too-many-questions Betta thread!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandie, he is only new to the tank and may not eat until he has fully settled in. With three of my bettas, it took a few days, and with my first betta, Artemis, it took a week.

Frozen bloodworms are a great start if you are worried. They will usually eat this straight away and won't spit it out. If not, still don't be too worried and continue feeding daily and removing the uneaten food.

With the gel food, I squish it in between my fingers inside the tank which makes it into a sort of paste/ small particles which are easy to eat.

I found with my females that (when I first got them) light caused them to get stress bars across their bodies, so you could also reduce the time the light is on to help deal with stress.

I don't think anything such as not eating is unusual at this point of time, he just may be a slow settler :)

Just keep watching him, and if you can't get him eating within the next two days maybe it would be a good idea to start a D&D thread?

Hope it's just a settling issue :)

Edited by Narny105

If I remember correctly, Fede had a betta that wouldn't eat anything but live food for a while. so I would definitely try something else like bloodworms. Do you want me to send you my favorite pellets? My guys go crazy for them.

Thanks so much, Narny! That makes me feel a lot better!! :)

If I remember correctly, Fede had a betta that wouldn't eat anything but live food for a while. so I would definitely try something else like bloodworms. Do you want me to send you my favorite pellets? My guys go crazy for them.

That's so nice of you! Sure, that would be fantastic! Thanks so much! I'll PM you in a minute :) (just send me a few pellets! I don't want to take any food from your fishies! They need it! It would be fun to try it and see if Grover likes it, though :) )

What is the name of the food?

Thanks so much, Narny! That makes me feel a lot better!! :)

That's so nice of you! Sure, that would be fantastic! Thanks so much! I'll PM you in a minute :) (just send me a few pellets! I don't want to take any food from your fishies! They need it! It would be fun to try it and see if Grover likes it, though :) )

What is the name of the food?

It is Atison's betta pro. I bought 2 bottles because it is hard to find so now I have 3 years worth :rofl

I can send you some plants too. From reading your blog :P

Edited by ashlee18

Params and a video would be great :) That's ok if it seems a little blurry, since we can still see how active his is and if he is clamping at all. Any stress bars on his sides and anything that looks unusual, such as loss of colour, fin loss, or anything in general that doesn't look like it should be there?

How long have you had him for now? It could definitely still just be him settling in. As I said, it took my first betta 1 week before he even acknowledged food, and it took my females no time at all, although they had stress bars for the first couple of weeks :)

EDIT: Just want to confirm something I didn't read before, he was eating when you first got him, and then started to spit food out?

Edited by Narny105

How are the edges of the fins? You can usually identify fin rot from blackening or reddening around the edging. Can you post pictures as well?

Edited by Narny105

No, no reddening. :( ugh, not a nipper! Any way to stop that habit?

No stress stripes, although he seems pale, but maybe I'm just going crazy. But I looked at him tonight and thought he looked paler than normal.

I can get the params for you tomorrow, but it is after 1am currently, and I am in bed :)

When I got him, (almost exactly a week ago) he made an effort to eat, but spit out anything after the first pellet. Now, he doesn't even attempt to eat. :(

Fish do usually go a little paler at night :). When I was loosing fish in my tropical tank, I also noticed it and freaked out, but months later when I see it, it is no different than it was when some of my fish died. I had an awful ammonia spike for some reason and I think that was why some my fish died.

See how he is in the morning and if he will eat. Have you tried frozen blood worms yet?

Don't worry about nipping yet! There is always a chance of fin loss when you first get a betta, and fin loss can most definitely be caused by stress! Watch for signs of healing (clear fin regrowth), but also watch out for more fin loss, and signs of fin rot :)

Okay! Thanks so much, Alex! :) great to have a knowledgeable betta guy around here :)

I have not tried frozen bloodworms, because to be honest they completely gross me out :P do they sell them at petsmart?

:)

Okay! Thanks so much, Alex! :) great to have a knowledgeable betta guy around here :)

I have not tried frozen bloodworms, because to be honest they completely gross me out :P do they sell them at petsmart?

:)

Lol, I have no clue what petsmart is, but if they sell fish and fish food, I am sure they would :P

Most bettas really love them! and they are great to help with fish not eating. I would definitely go for it and try them. You only want to be feeding around 6 worms in one feeding, and I like to feed them separately, but that's the way I prefer it :)