The crazy way-too-many-questions Betta thread!

Helloooo! :)

I ask lots of questions, and I wanted to start a thread so I can ask all my Betta questions. Just be prepared, I ask A LOT of questions! (but you know that by now ;) )

Anybody else with Betta questions, please feel free to ask them here.

So, to start us off, how many times a day and how much should I feed Grover? :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mandie,this is in response to your post in the other thread about your betta spitting out the food................I find the hikari pellets too big and crush them up first-and they still float that way. I have something to break them up-but I used to do it between 2 spoon cradles-you can maybe give this a try also........

Hey Mandie,this is in response to your post in the other thread about your betta spitting out the food................I find the hikari pellets too big and crush them up first-and they still float that way. I have something to break them up-but I used to do it between 2 spoon cradles-you can maybe give this a try also........

I have actually been feeding omega one, but I'll keep that in mind. Thank you! :)

I'm going to feed him now, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Edited by pandamanda111

I feed my bettas once daily. They're digestive systems are a little slower, especially in cooler temperatures so I have always gone by the rule of feeding them the amount of food that will fit in the diameter of they're eye once or twice daily, depending on what you're feeding. Since I feed mine gel food which has a lot of moister in it, I sometimes feel inclined to feed three times daily depending on how dense the gel food batch is :) I also fast once a week, usually the same day as the goldfish :P that is never a happy day for anyone haha

At first, giving him more time between bellets helped, but now He has begun spitting out both pellets :( he tries to chew it, and cannot. I know that he WANTS to eat, because he always goes after it after spitting it out, but for some reason he has a hard time eating it. What should I do? :(

Edited by pandamanda111

Guys... :(

I'm not sure what's wrong. My Betta has been bottom sitting for like 10 minutes. Is this normal? Or is he dying? I mean, maybe the eating thing is because he is sick! He looks pretty sad.

It sounds normal based on the behavior of mine. Bettas and goldfish behave entirely differently. Think about it -- you are talking about getting a "hammock" for him to sleep in. Would a goldfish do that? :)

I know that my betta rests quite often in the plants (he is less active overall than my last betta that had shorter fins).

But the spitting out food is a little concerning. I wonder if it might be flukes? Hopefully some of our more experienced betta keepers can weigh in on this, but spitting out food could be a symptom of gill irritation that could potentially be caused by flukes. Do you still have prazi left from treating the goldies?

I honestly have no idea. My betta experience is pretty darn limited :) So I would certainly wait for someone else to confirm this thought before taking any action. I am just kind of thinking out loud I guess. Like Shawn said it's not abnormal for them to rest :)

It is possible the pellets are too big. Have you tried breaking them up at all (someone else suggested this before)?