Sign in to follow this  
pandamanda111

My New Betta! :) :)

Really nice betta Amanda, i love those opaque red bettas, one of my favorite colors.

Mandie, my betta needed some time to build strength after being in that tiny bowl. He would swim in the current, and it would push him down to the sand. Then he would take a rest and go back for more. After a few weeks, he could swim through the current without it pushing him down. :)

I think he would like a big plant -- maybe a nice anubias -- for the empty space. Then he could rest on its leaves.

Thanks, you guys!!! :) :) this morning when I woke up, he was swimming all around! We'll see what happens when the light goes on. :)

Mandie, my betta needed some time to build strength after being in that tiny bowl. He would swim in the current, and it would push him down to the sand. Then he would take a rest and go back for more. After a few weeks, he could swim through the current without it pushing him down. :)

I think he would like a big plant -- maybe a nice anubias -- for the empty space. Then he could rest on its leaves.

Oh, gotcha :) Grover doesn't seem to have an issue with the current, my filter doesn't make much.

It freaked me out because he sleeps floating (?? Is that normal?) and I thought he had died!!

I was planning on getting him a leaf hammock thingy, but petsmart was out! I'll go again next week.

I'll grab him an anubias at petsmart. :) thanks Shawn! I'm still considering making the entire tank super planty like some people on here have, but I'm not sure because then he wouldn't have as much space.

:)

Edited by pandamanda111

He's lovely, Mandie. I'm sure once he settles in he'll be swimming around like nobody's business.

I love the white edging, too! He probly has to learn to be a fish - imagine living all your life in a small space, then suddenly having a bigger one...it takes some time to adjust.

Congratulations on the new fish.

mj

Good thinking! I didn't think about that. :)

Thanks MJ!

So pretty Mandie! Congratulations! A butterfly betta is when the overall colour blends into a white/transparent band around the fins like the white edging :) The 'Butterfly' is just a name for the colour pattern. He looks more like a delta like Ashley said, pet stores have a habit of labeling things wrong :P Very pretty though, you must be very exited :D

Ah, that makes sense! ;) thanks narny!

I was planning on getting him a leaf hammock thingy, but petsmart was out! I'll go again next week.

I'll grab him an anubias at petsmart. :) thanks Shawn! I'm still considering making the entire tank super planty like some people on here have, but I'm not sure because then he wouldn't have as much space.

:)

I don't have one of those. My guy sleeps on leaves. I see him do that all the time.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the plants taking up too much space. Bettas are different. My guy spends a lot of time slinking around plants. It's hard to explain, but he almost looks like a snake the way he twists and turns through the crypts. He likes to stalk the other occupants of the tank. We had a betta expert at one of the fish club meetings I attended, and he said the more plants, the better. He said a betta in a heavily planted tank was the only fish he would keep without filtration. :)

Very handsome :thumb:

Very nice looking betta, I got one probably last month and I too at first thought I got a Lazy one but come to find out he was just shy and needed to adjust to a 10 gallon tank verses a little cup ! Now he is ALL OVER the tank and is adjusting well. I am happy to see him enjoying the tank. He still sleeps behind the large plant at times and I got him a "leaf hammock" from PETSMART that he sleeps in~~~the BEST 3.99 I ever spent, he loves it :clapping:

Very pretty! Love his fins :) ..... and as everyone has already said, my bettas were all very shy when I first got them, but all of them have ended up being very energetic. I think the only time they are lazy like that is when they are in small bowls with little entertainment (plants and stuff to swim around)