New Fish with bloody fin

ypdmd

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did another dip last night. Lasted maybe 20, 25 seconds before floating up to the top. I waited a few seconds to see if he could recover, but nothing happened, so he went back in the tank.

I will try again tonight.

He seems a little less jumpy, but streaks are still persistant in his fins.

I will try to get some pics tonight.

At what point do I say it is more than just stress and start him on metro-meds?

If it's just streaks, I wouldn't put him on any meds, because: 1) the dilated veins my take a while to go down, and 2) it may be a permanent state. Metro-Meds may actually exacerbate the streaks.

It is now 2 days since I did a 100% WC and added double prazi and .2% salt.

Again, the water is starting to cloud up. Is this normal with double prazi?

I will repeat tomorrow night.

It is possible he could have gone longer the last two times, but as soon as he floated to the top I pulled him out.

This time, he was swimming pretty much the whole time.

This is a close up from the second image above.

Any idea what those little grains are on the leading edge of the fin and the gill cover?

grainsoranda.jpg

Those would be his breeding stars hun :thumb:

Yup! Congrats! You have a boy! :rofl

Anyway, I think everything looks good. The rest will take time. So, once you are done with the final round of Prazi, you are done. The next step is to gradually lower the salt by 0.1% every couple of days until you reach zero. Then, you can move him over to the main tank, or wherever his home will be :)

Thanks, good to know - I never would have seen them if not for the photo - and they are barely visible in the other photos.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I go the top down shots by dipping the lens into the tank.

Any links to any other good ways to sex goldfish?

my common has his nose up the comets' butts, so I assume it is male, and I think the pearlscale is doing the same in the fancy tank.

I am resting him from round 4 of prazi this weekend and then we start round five.

• 3 weeks later...

I moved GG over to the main tank about a week ago. He was doing fine. Tonight I noticed that he has much more red streaking in the fins, both lobes of the caudals and the ventrals. The flash kind of washes it out, but you can see the streaking. Any suggestions?

IMG_1244.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cshAGyW_LN7QbsuJu8iUv9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

temp 72F

api drops

ammonia 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 5

ph ~7.6

salted last week to .1% because a couple of fish had white spots on their fins, and one was a little ragged. The white spots were gone within 2 days of salting.

Been doing 50% water changes twice a week.

Edited by ypdmd

taking a second look at those pics above from 2 weeks ago, things may not have changed that much. Maybe just the lighting. what do you think? I still think there is clearly streaking, but it is also not nearly as bad as what my pearlscale had a few months ago.

There is clearly some streaking, but I think it's not anything that actually requires treatment. Unless things change drastically, I'd like to stay the course for the next 2-3 weeks.

Let me know if there is any change, please.