New Fish with bloody fin

ypdmd

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much the same -

1) No change in the pimple on the fin

2) Fish sleeps on the bottom of the tank, but gets active when the lights are on

3) Still pretty jumpy and when I am around, will slam into the walls and the filter tube, but seems chilled out when I turn the light off and walk away

4) Eating fine

5) Still has the blood in the fin

35 Gallon tank is dosed with .2% salt and double prazi pro

Running AC70 and air stone,

No heater, so temp ranges 65 - 68 F

is this at the end of round 2? or are you still going through round 2 of prazi?

This is the end of round 3. I added it Saturday night, so I will finish tonight (4 days) or tomorrow night.

I will try to get a video up tonight or tomorrow, I'm getting home late tonight. -

Not seeing much poop, but if I remember correctly it was normal

The bottom sitting is basically hovering just over the floor of the tank, with maybe his fins touching.

I don't think his belly touches the glass.

What percentage salt are you at? I would do two back to back 80-90% WCs to remove all salt, and then you add back water, dissolve and add salt to 0.2% if it was at 0.3% previously.

What percentage salt are you at? I would do two back to back 80-90% WCs to remove all salt, and then you add back water, dissolve and add salt to 0.2% if it was at 0.3% previously.

It was at .2% since the start of the second round of prazi pro, so almost 2 weeks now. My water changes have been down to dorsal, and the last one I did right before prazi round 3 was 100%.

I will clear out the prazi water tomorrow and start fresh at .2% for the off day.

Is it ok to restart prazi again friday?

Are you using the Morton's Canning & Pickling salt? At least those are really cheap. I don't like to pay more for things when I don't have to. :)

I'm using diamond crystal kosher salt, couple of dollars a box.

BTW, I didn't know how to embed that video, thanks. For future reference, you just use the media tag?

Edited by ypdmd

Change water last night - for some reason it was really cloudy -

I am going prazi free till Saturday night.

pimple seems to be healing - no change in blood in fins

behavior seems a little better

IMG_1076.JPG

ypdmd, due to the raggedness of the fins, I'd like for you to do a salt dip on the fish. This is the protocol:

1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.

3. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.

2. make sure you have some sort of timer

3. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.

4. start timer.

5. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.

6. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.

7. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.

8. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

We are talking about what percentage salt? 2%?

I'm asking because I have the kosher salt which is 2.8 g/5ml, so the usual measurements don't work.

I have done a 2% dip before on my moor. - the moor only lasted 30 seconds before fainting.

Do I have to do the whole holding tank thing? - the fish is going to go back in QT, not the main tank.

Thanks again for all your help with all my various problems - you guys are great.

2% is fine :)

I should have indicated before, but that amount was for 3%.

The holding tank is useful, but not required. Just check your QT to see that there is no ammonia spike after adding him back.

I did a 2% dip - he barely lasted 30 seconds.

How soon can I repeat? Should I?

He is now back in double prazipro with 0.2% salt

Edited by ypdmd