New Fish with bloody fin

ypdmd

35 gallon tank is up 24 hours with cycled AC 70 filter

0 Ammonia

0 Nitrites

feeding oranda pro

Took home a beautiful new fish yesterday - he is in a 35 gallon qt with prazi pro and .1% salt, prime

This morning I noticed faint blood lines in tail fins, which I had not noticed before.

IMG_0900.JPG

Do I ...

a)wait and see

b)run another prazi pro cycle in 2 days

c)up the salt

d)start medicating with metro meds

e)none of the above

f)some of the above

Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The redness looks like some faint streaking based on the pic, which could easily be caused by stress and potentially poor water conditions at the LFS. I don't see any cause for major concern at this point.

I would continue with your current plan (prazi pro/.1% salt). Run 5-6 rounds of prazi, and I would do the 5 day schedule with a big water change on both the 4th and 5th day :)

Let us know if things get worse of he begins developing other symptoms that are concerning.

And Congrats!! He's very pretty :)

Keep the course with 0.1% salt + Prazipro. You will need to do 4 rounds.

What are your nitrate readings? Those streaks are likely to be induced by stress.

What are your nitrate readings? Those streaks are likely to be induced by stress.

Didn't test nitrates, wouldn't expect much after 24 hours. I will check tonight.

I would continue with your current plan (prazi pro/.1% salt). Run 5-6 rounds of prazi, and I would do the 5 day schedule with a big water change on both the 4th and 5th day :)

Ok, so on the 4th day do a big water change, then again on the 5th, and then add the prazi pro back in ? So one day with no prazi? Why back to back WCs?

And Congrats!! He's very pretty :)

Thanks, I saw him Monday, and decided Tuesday to go get him. I was stressed all day that someone else got him.

What goldfish type is he? Calico Oranda?

• Supporter

Wow, he is pretty. Good luck with him, and your other fish. He looks like an oranda to me. Great find. :)

Edited by Mr.B

ammonia 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 5

He's still a little jumpy - runs away when I come over to feed him instead of typical FEED ME behavior.

Also - can't find the food that well. - using a floating pellet right now, and he just mouths the surface in random places until he finds the foods.

If he is still being jumpy, then just have an area that's dark, or turn the lights off, for a few more days.

I would avoid using floating pellets, if possible. Gulping is to be discouraged. He will find the food :)

Did the 2 water changes and started the next cycle of prazi pro.

The streaking is gone from the fins.

Is there any reason to continue treatements after the end of this cycle?

I've seen posts recommening 4-5 cylces of prazi.

Why?

New problem cropping up -

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH 7.4

last WC - 95% monday night

There is now a pustule on one of the anal fins, streaking still apparent in tail fin.

On 3rd day of second prazi pro cycle

salt at .1%

Image 1

Image 2

pustulecropped1.jpg

pustulecropped2.jpg

ok Ill up the salt -

I'll post when I do it.

These other angles show the fin outline a little better. Its not on the caudal, the bloody streak (in the previous post) is basically the lower limit of the caudal fin.

IMG_0969.JPG

finshighlighted.jpg

• Admin

I also noticed that the tummy fins look like the comings of fin rot... Make sure you got plenty of aeration in the tank :thumb:

Ill have to put an airstone in there -

My pearlscale will be done with metro meds tomorrow.

Is it ok if I finish the QT and Prazi cycles with both fish in the same tank?

Hello. When you combine them, then consider that they just finished 2 rounds, and will need 2 more. :)

Keep the salt at 0.2% for now for on/off. If the fin issues get worse, let us know right away please, so we can make modifications.

I'll probably keep them apart, do one more cycle for the pearlscale, and put him back in the big tank next week.

The Oranda is still flashing and darting and seems to be rubbing against the filter intake pipe.

Is there something else here that needs to be treated?

Double dose on the Prazipro for the next round. If there is still flashing and darting going on after the next round, we will need to consider other external parasites, and perhaps will need salt dips.

I did a water change Friday afternoon. I was away today and was going to do the second change tonight -

the fish was sitting upright on the bottom of the tank. He was like this for a few minutes - seemed very listless and lethargic. He even just kind of drifted over to the filter intake and got stuck there. I turned the power down and he swam away, then started going bananas with the flashing - he keeps swimming into the wall of the tank.

I am going to finish the water change now, but I am nervous about what's going on.