Thoughts on Rice?

distasty

I have herd form a few folks that raise goldfish that they have a habit of feeding them unsalted COOKED rice. Has anyone on the forum experimented or know of reasons why it woud be a poor choice?

You can feed them rice very very infrequently as a fun treat, but rice should not be fed on a regular basis because it has a really high sugar content. In addition, rice can make some goldfish very floaty.

I know your not allowed throw it at wedding's anymore because it makes birds sick and die :( so I wouldn't :(

That is becouse uncook rice. Birds can not explaile gases so the RAW rice will expained in the belly. aslong as it is cook it fine for birds. My mother feed wild birds left over cook rice all the time.

Edited by rdoyle225

• Admin

It's empty calories; goldfish junk food. When I want to give mine a treat they get bloodworms; I figure that at least has something for them.

You are right, it would be empty calories and dont know why people would want to feed just that to them :( Its just filler! :(

• Admin

Imo fed her fish rice I remember. I think she said it helped bulk them up.

If she did I would be interested in this. :thumb: I trust her :)

Here you go :)

Yes. My fish get this every week. One grain or two each only. Its carbohydrate so fattening if you give too much. Make sure its well softened. My fish go nuts for this as a treat smile.gif

• Admin

Here you go :)

Yes. My fish get this every week. One grain or two each only. Its carbohydrate so fattening if you give too much. Make sure its well softened. My fish go nuts for this as a treat smile.gif

Humm well Im sticking to Progold thank you :thumb:

Oh, I'm sure it'd bulk them right up, just like empty calories do people. XD

If you want some fatties it might not be a bad idea, but I tend to like my goldfish to stay fairly lean; for goldfish anyway, so I stick to lots of veggies mixed with a little fish food and blood worms.