Sign in to follow this  
neeceee2

Clam shells in tank

We have very soft water out of the tap. I add baking soda to raise the ph. Have read that shells can raise the hardness and ph. Thought a layer of clam shells would look nice. Would they also help to raise the hardness and ph. Of corse I would boil and clean them first. The shells are ones that stuff clams are served in so they are food safe. Would put them in a layer on the bottom. Has any one here tryed this?

Never tried it, but a much simpler way to increase your Ph would be using crushed corals from your lfs, much safer too. :)

Crushed shells would be better. You need the maximum surface area to affect the hardness.

Ah that makes sense. Could they still safely be used as decorations.

Ah that makes sense. Could they still safely be used as decorations.

I don't see why not. :)

Ok i boiled and scrubed them. Think I am done aqua scaping for now. :flex: Will continue to test regularly to see if ther is any changes in water quality. Go ahead and laugh but I take a lot of fun fixing there little piece of river bottom, least that is the look I am going for. I redo it twice a week with each water change. :carrot:

th_AK000008.jpg

I think it looks really good :)

How thick is your gravel?

Thankyou. Some eareas it is thin enough to see through. kinda had my camra at an angle so looks thicker than it is. left some uneven bumps for a natural effect maybe .25 in ay deppest parts.