Good bottom covering plants?

Since I have the new 40 gallon tank, it's very sparse due to only about 10 big sprigs of anacharis and barely a layer of glass pebbles on the bottom. I'd like to buy some kind of plant that would grow to completely cover the bottom of the tank, if it's possible. I don't really mind how expensive it is. I don't care about the color of the plant...I just need it to be completely aquatic. If that even exists...

Well thanks in advance :clapping:

Well, it depends a lot on the setup, the lighting on the tank etc. There are some mosses that you can use to cover the whole bottom, or dwarf hair grass. :)

But I think they need trimmed every once in a while.

Dwarf sag would be nice and it is a pretty low needs plant, as long as your fish don't eat it ;)

Edit: it would not provide as tight/thorough coverage as something like dwarf hair grass or moss though, but it does grow in pretty thick over time

I'd like to know this too. I'm hoping to receive some java moss soon, which I know I'll be using as bottom-cover on my ten gallon tropical, but I'm not so sure if goldfish will eat it.

I use crypts as a kind of ground cover. But they require substrate, and they aren't truly ground cover. A lot of ground cover requires co2 and high light, and some plants would be eaten by goldfish.

Btw, how is moss turned into a ground cover?

My java moss was more or less ground covering the sand in my Spec before I took it out. It just kept growing. It also grew up, but I trimmed it (or tried to) in that direction. I had it rather inexpertly partially buried in the sand, but it seemed to like that okay. Probably a more elegant solution would work even better.

Edit to add: this was for shrimp. Definitely what I had going on would've been torn up by a goldfish in a heartbeat.

Edited by Courtney

• Supporter

My vote would be for dwarf sag also. I had some that completely coverd the bottom of a ten gallon tank within a year. I bet you could use moss and attach it to some sort of mesh and weigh it down. I have seen this done with riccia.

Glosso forms a thick, dense carpet but I think you need high light and CO2 for it. Also it seems to get REALLY REALLY thick, so maybe having some goldfish munching on it isn't a bad idea....They can be lawn mowers :D

Hmmm....Glosso likes high light and the preferred temperature is in the 70s. However, it is gorgeous and I'd love to have some one day (maybe for a big betta tank....someday). I do believe Java Moss would be devoured in a heartbeat (my goldfish are hardcore nommers), since they're constantly picking at the anacharis, even right after feeding. I cannot satisfy their hunger. :no:

I can certainly provide high lighting, but not co2 (Mom: You don't need it anyway, so why bother getting a plant that requires it?).

Thanks for the answers, guys :clapping: