• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 77
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 37 gallons, 5 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland Eclipse 3, Eheim Classic 2213
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 85% every 5-7 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 85%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish, 1 apple snail. Including tails: Naan is 6-7", Kimchi is 5", Spaetzle is 4-5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stress coat
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 3x per day, mainly Omega 1 sinking goldfish pellets. Supplemented with bloodworms, fruits and veggies.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Medigold, salted tank and prazi pro all ending about a month and a half ago, treated for shortly over a month. See this thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98399-bottom-sitting-bloated-other-fish-starting-to-bottom-sit/

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Slight redness in fins but that has been greatly reducing ever since fluke treatment.

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? 1 fish bottom sitting, the rest are fine. Seems to have trouble staying buoyant in the water.

After treating for flukes a month and a half ago, everyone seemed to be doing really well, and the redness in their tails has been disappearing. Yesterday I woke up and Naan was sitting on the bottom aside from occasionally swimming. He seems to WANT to swim and have energy, but can't stay buoyant unless he's constantly wiggling.

Yesterday I fasted them and today I fed some cooked, shelled peas.

Hello :)

Could you upload a video of Naan, please? Also, I'd like to go ahead and do a big WC on the tank, as well as fasting Naan for a couple more days. Alternatively, you could feed her some well cooked baby spinach OR green beans.

The thing that I'm always mindful of in the case of veils is that their fancy draperies may tire them out really easily.

Yes, water changes are fantastic, as long as you make sure to match temp and pH :)

I am not a fan of peas. I use it in my gel food, but for other feedings, I go with green beans or spinach.

Ok here is the video. He always gets up an swims when I come to the tank, sometimes he stays up for a few minutes even. The redness in his tail is much worse this evening

Don't mind the voice in the background, my boyfriend did not know I was video taping ;]

Edited by Sassyfras McGee

I think the redness may be from bottomsitting on that heavy gravel bed. Do you vacumm it really well during all of the water changes? I would really focus on removing quite a bit of it (leaving a thin scattering). Remove one cup per day. I would try a few days of greens for all the fish and see if that helps.

I think the redness may be from bottomsitting on that heavy gravel bed. Do you vacumm it really well during all of the water changes? I would really focus on removing quite a bit of it (leaving a thin scattering). Remove one cup per day. I would try a few days of greens for all the fish and see if that helps.

Agreed. How deep is the gravel bed? I would leave only about a 1/4 inch layer throughout the tank, and honestly for veils, I would encourage you to consider going bare bottom. As Amy said, the redness in the fins is due to bottom sitting and coming into contact with the bacteria on the gravel bed.

How many cycles of flukes treatment did you do before? Flukes is extremely hard to eradicate, and perhaps more rounds are needed.

I vacuum it really well every time I change the water, until there is nothing left in there at all. I've found it doesn't take too long to get everything that is in there, so it doesn't seem too dirty. But I will start removing more of it. It's 1" at the deepest spots.

Agreed. How deep is the gravel bed? I would leave only about a 1/4 inch layer throughout the tank, and honestly for veils, I would encourage you to consider going bare bottom. As Amy said, the redness in the fins is due to bottom sitting and coming into contact with the bacteria on the gravel bed.

How many cycles of flukes treatment did you do before? Flukes is extremely hard to eradicate, and perhaps more rounds are needed.

It is 1" at the deepest places, so I will begin removing more of it. I could try out bare bottom.

I did 4 rounds of fluke treatments, and still have more Prazi left.

Could you do this for the next 2-3 of days for me?

- diet of well-cooked spinach only

- daily WC of 50%.

Let's see if that will change things. If not, then we can proceed to the next step.

Alright, I've done the water changes and fed cooked spinach... yesterday he ate it pretty readily, today he is not very interested and is leaning over to one side when he's bottom sitting. He's swimming around less too, I'm getting pretty worried. :[ The other fish are also less lively, but they are not bottom sitting.

I would go ahead and salt the tank up to 0.3%, with 0.1% every 12 hours. We'll take it from there as to what else may be needed.

I just wanted to eliminate dietary issues first.

Ok. I may not ask you to do flukes treatment, but rather do salt dips, depending on how they react to the increased salt in a couple of days :)

Alright, salt is up to 3% as of last night. The other two seem to do well and then get lethargic throughout the day. Naan is still consistently bottom sitting.

I'm going to Tucson for the weekend (tonight through Sunday afternoon) but my boyfriend will be home to take care of anything as long as I leave very very specific instructions and it's not too complicated. What do you suggest? I will be going home after work today, before I head off to Tucson.

Edited by Sassyfras McGee

You have Prazipro, right?

Do a big WC tonight, replace salt to 0.3%, and add a double dose of Prazi. This way, there is no need to do anything while you are away. If something happens while you are gone, just have your BF get on here, and we will do our best to help :)

How are they doing?

On Tuesday, do a big WC, and then replace the salt back to 0.3%, but don't add the Prazi.

On Thursday, do a big WC, replace salt to 0.3%, and the Prazi treat again. Between now and then, I would like to assess how they are doing, because I may ask you to do a salt dip on Naan on Thursday, or before that, as well.

Naan seems to be doing a bit better. He is still bottom sitting, but he seems to have more energy to swim around more often. I have to hide around a corner to catch him bottom sitting, pretty much the entire time I'm around he's up and about. But he's still plunking back down there when he gets tired.

The other two seem perfectly fine.

Let's continue with the treatment plan. I would like for you to do a 3% salt dip prior to doing the 3rd round of Prazi, just so that we can eliminate as many parasites as we can.

You remember how to do the dips, right?

I'm glad Naan is feeling a little better! :)