Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

My New Fluval Flora!

As some of you may know, I got a Fluval Spec, a tiny little 2 gallon tank, last Christmas. It's an awesome tank, and I set mine up as a planted freshwater shrimp tank. Well, this worked pretty well generally, but tiny tanks are a huge challenge. My shrimps slowly died off over the course of a few months, despite my best efforts. As far as I can tell, it was solely due to the fact that the water quality was just too difficult to maintain. My tap water is fairly wonky (VERY high pH, pretty low KH, 1ppm Ammonia, 10ppm Nitrates) and it was just hard to deal with it in a tiny tank. And my poor shrimp suffered for it. :(

I decided to move my small freshwater planted efforts into a slightly larger tank. I bought a Fluval Flora, which is almost 8 gallons. Still a tiny tank, but not ridiculously so. I am hoping that the added water volume will mean less fluctuation in the parameters, which will mean happier inhabitants.

Today I moved most of the remaining contents of the Spec into the Flora. It's really empty-looking right now, as you can imagine. A very full 2-gallon tank still equals a pretty empty 8-gallon tank. At this point, really its only job is to provide continued support for my existing plants while being a plant hospital for a sword plant that my goldfish Peanut ate down to the roots. (Jerk!)

Here's what it looks like now:

100_1729.jpg

You can see the poor munched sword in the front left. Also in the front is my marimo ball, which kind of fell apart in the move. It's now two lumpy balls. Hopefully it'll be okay with this. We'll see. Behind the marimo lumps on the far right is a small crypt that came from Ashlee18. It melted like crypts do after transit, but has rebounded quite well. To the left of the crypt are two small anubias nana petite plants. These were actually one plant but have grown so much they decided to separate. In the back left are two small stems of brazilian pennywort, which was doing much better in my Spec than it ever did in Peanut's tank. And behind the rocks on the right, though you can hardly see them, are some small cuttings of bacopa caroliniana. These were growing like weeds in the Spec until I trimmed them, and then they stopped for some reason. I am hoping they'll snap out of it and get tall again.

I will probably have to add more plants to this setup, but right now my priority is just making sure the things that are in there now are doing okay. This tank also includes my one remaining cherry shrimp, who seems to be both terrified and exuberant about his huge new digs. Hopefully he'll do alright, though my hopes are not too high, as this is a big and probably pretty stressful change.

I have new plans for my Spec, but they involve using RODI water, not my tap water. And also adding salt to said water. It'll be a while till that's set up, though. ;)

:) very nice! I look forward to seeing the progression of this tank :)

I really like the look! Melty plants are annoying lol

Cool! But how is your betta going to handle the salt? You are getting a betta, right? RIGHT?!

Very nice set up. I look forward to updates of this tank :)

You have me very intrigued. What will you be doing with reverse osmosis AND deionized water that has salt in it! :)

:) very nice! I look forward to seeing the progression of this tank :)

Thanks! I am hoping it'll grow in a little bit.

I really like the look! Melty plants are annoying lol

Thank you. :) At least with the crypt I was expecting it. Y'know, cause they call it crypt melt. It looks pretty happy now.

Cool! But how is your betta going to handle the salt? You are getting a betta, right? RIGHT?!

I am thinking about getting a betta! But not for the Spec. The problem with it is that in addition to being tiny, it's a tall tank. So there's no swimming room for anything, really. You have to get things that don't swim.

You have me very intrigued. What will you be doing with reverse osmosis AND deionized water that has salt in it! :)

You'll have to stay tuned to find out! Maybe I'm just going to brine some very small hams with very clean water. The future is a mystery! :D

Very cool. I love fluval tanks. :) hope things work out with the shrimp! :)

You'll have to stay tuned to find out! Maybe I'm just going to brine some very small hams with very clean water. The future is a mystery! :D

:lol:

If you're going to do what my mind says you are with the 2G, I'd love to see how that turns out. :3

Cant resist... but two balls are better than one :thumb:

:rofl

With a tiny 2 gallon tank could you just but the water to add in. Then you would not have to use tap water so no amonia or nitrates??

Very cool. I love fluval tanks. :) hope things work out with the shrimp! :)

He (actually, probably a she but for some reason it seems more like a he to me in behavior...) seems to be pretty happy today. Still wandering all over the tank and picking at the plants. So that's good.

If you're going to do what my mind says you are with the 2G, I'd love to see how that turns out. :3

I will post a thread when something happens besides it just sitting empty on my shelf. No worries.

Cant resist... but two balls are better than one :thumb:

:rofl

You know, I think you're right. I thought I was alright with just one but now that I have two I don't think I could go back. :D

With a tiny 2 gallon tank could you just but the water to add in. Then you would not have to use tap water so no amonia or nitrates??

I probably could've done that, actually. It didn't really occur to me. I did start topping up the evaporation with RODI water, but I didn't have the necessary things to add into it to use it for water changes also. It was a learning experience for sure.

I love tiny planted tanks! They are just so cute :) Good luck with this one! I hope everything works out better this time around

Thanks, Haley!

Unfortunately, the shrimp did not make it very long, but that's not particularly surprising, I suppose. She (I think) did seem to go rather quickly, which I guess is some consolation.

I ordered a whole bunch more plants for the tank last week, as well as a few snails. The look has changed rather a lot since I last took pictures of it! I ordered from Planted Aquariums Central, and they always throw in extra. I knew this, but kind of forgot, and ended up with a TON of plants. Here is how the tank looks now:

100_1759.jpg

100_1762.jpg

In the front right is one moss ball. The other kind of fell apart. I have lots of plants, though, so I suppose it's alright.

Right behind the moss ball is a small crypt of some sort.

Surrounding the front-most rock are some little cryptocoryne parva plants.

Between that rock and the one behind it is my anubias nana petite.

In the front left is that sad sword plant that Peanut ate down to the roots. Still hoping it'll spring back. There's green in the middle there, so there's hope.

Behind the pot of sword-root is a hygrophila corymbosa stricta. I like it. It's bushy.

Right behind that and difficult to see are a few stems of pennywort. These are sprouting new leaves happily.

Kind of at the base of the two back-most rocks is my bacopa caroliniana, which has starting growing again, which is exiciting.

And in the background, the green plants are water wisteria (hygrophila difformis), and the red ones are ludwigia repens, which will likely become less red in this tank, but I like the shape contrast as well so I'm alright with that.

If the sword ever recovers, I will remove it from this tank and move the moss ball to that location.

Edited by Courtney

Ooo, it looks great! It will look amazing as they grow in.

What's that swimming plant in the front in the first picture?

Ooo, it looks great! It will look amazing as they grow in.

What's that swimming plant in the front in the first picture?

Thanks Shawn. :)

That plant has its own thread over in the Kritters. :D

the tank looks amazing!!

Thanks, Tithra. :)

After two weeks, my water wisteria and my ludwigia have taken off! My other plants are growing nicely, as well. Here is the picture from two weeks ago, followed by how it looks today.

100_1759.jpg

100_1806.jpg

The red ludwigia is interesting; the plants I got were red, and the new growth started out green, but as the plant nears the top it's turning orangey again. I have a second light for this tank on my birthday list so maybe I can make redder ludwigia soon. I think it's beautiful the way it is, though, and it's certainly happy about life.

wow! that's some amazing growth!! very nice :D

wow! that's some amazing growth!! very nice :D

Thanks! I am very impressed with these plants myself!

Lookin' good!!

Thanks, Shawn! :D

Nice job, Courtney. The ludwigia is crackin! You might get a bit more red out of it if you were to dose flourish iron along with the new light. Mine has done well with that. The tank is looking really sweet. :)

Oh wow that is Growth :panana

I thought I replied to you guys. Guess I didn't...

Nice job, Courtney. The ludwigia is crackin! You might get a bit more red out of it if you were to dose flourish iron along with the new light. Mine has done well with that. The tank is looking really sweet. :)

Thanks, Amazing Dan! I am really excited about how well it's doing. This is by far the best plant situation I've ever had, wet or dry. I might try the iron with the ludwigia, though I do like it just fine green, and it's definitely happy with life at the moment.

Oh wow that is Growth :panana

Thanks, Koko! It still makes me stop and stare when I walk by.

So... I went on vacation for a week and my tank turned into even more of a jungle. Here is what it looked like last week:

100_1806.jpg

And today:

florajulyfirst.jpg

I am going to have to do some trimming pretty much as soon as possible on this. Roland the betta is loving it, though. But still, I will wait until the small cut I got on my hand today heals, and then I will do some cutting. I will probably offer up the next round as free mail-order plants, but I think this week is too chaotic for that and I'll probably just have to get rid of them. :(

WOW Dang hun you got a Forrest going now :rofl

What kind of plant is going crazy.... :) Humm I could or might be able to take some off your hands. TD's Whistiera (sp?) Melted on us :o