Ryukin, Ranchu, or Lionhead?

I've got just enough room in my 40 gallon for one more fancy goldfish, already occupied by a mid-sized fantail and Black Moor, and I've been wanting a Ryukin for a while. However, as I hang around this site I see tons of other breeds I never considered which I find charming in their own ways. So, I put it to you guys, which do you think I should get?

I'm judging on a few criteria, such as;

Ease of Care: How hardy the breed is in general, it's resistance to disease/stress, any special food needs, etc.

Compatibility: How well each breed would mix with my current goldies, a fatty little fantail and a slightly dopey black moor.

Special needs: If any of them need anything special, regarding tank ornaments, water quality, etc.

Charm: Whichever you personally think is the cutest and most charming. :)

I like all three types. They each have their own unique beautiful - ryukin with the hump and the majestic form, ranchus for their puppy-ish wiggle, and lionheads for their ferocious manes.

Keep in mind that these are big generalizations, but with ryukins, you may encounter some floaty issues (not a guarantee, but can happen) because of their compact and round bodies. With ranchus and lionheads, issues with wen ulcers (infrequent, but can happen).

See how unhelpful that was in helping you to decide? :rofl

No, every little bit of information helps. Can you not get Ranchus without significant wens?

You can, in the same manner that some orandas barely have any wen at all. The same goes with lionheads.

I think that's a logical assumption.

I just want to make sure that I am not overstating anything though, and that is any wen fish will run the danger of wen ulcers, although the incidence will vary from aquaria to aquaria. I think if you keep your system well maintained with disciplined maintenance procedures, the incidence is pretty low. Having said that, wen ulcers are among the hardest things to treat, if not the hardest.

Most of my fish have wen, and I love it :D

I have two lionheads with somewhat smaller wens. Hands down they are my most active, inquisitive, and healthy goldfish. A lot depends on their breeding and prior care, among other things, but my experience personally and while working in fish stores is that lionheads tend to have the fewest issues of the three varieties you have mentioned. It is hard to generalize because there are so many factors, but they are my favourites because of this.

On the other hand, while they are my favourite in appearance, I have had nothing but bad luck with telescope goldfish, and while working in fish stores they had the most problems overall also.

Again, the disclaimer that this is my personal experience and I'm sure others have had other experiences!

My vote is that you get another tank and one of each. :D

If that's not an option ;) and you are buying from a local store, then I would watch the tanks until you see the one you love. I love my ranchus, but I also love our new oranda. Orandas are not my favorite (you don't see this, dnalex!), but she had the cutest face with big, puffy cheeks. And she active and inquisitive. So just keep watching for one that's special, even if it's not one on your list. :)

Haha, sadly not an option at the moment! Just the 40 has kind of burned through my budget. :sigh:

Trust me, if I could, I'd buy a 90 or a 110 gallon tank and grab up goldies to my heart's content! As it is I'm stretching it a little with three, but I think I can handle them.

Naturally I'd try to get one which charmed me... but I do want some nice variety in the tank, so if I didn't see one of those three that caught my eye, I'd probably end up just waiting, or doing without. XD

It's taking every bit of my willpower to not get one of the black lionheads at a store near me.

A store specializing in goldfish.

A store about 4 blocks away from my office. I'm heading home in 2 hours.

Willpower fading...

• Supporter

i have a ranchu without a significant wen, i've had orandas without significant wen also as well as longer bodies. wen disease/ulcers normally come with water quality issues.

keep in mind that whichever fish you choose, you most likely will not know what it was exposed to prior to your purchase. ucers take a long time to surface, often, there is absolutely no way to tell if a fish is ill with a wen ulcer. sometimes, a wen ulcer will present itself looking like wen growth, a small white pimple, it can hang around for days and weeks before it begins to back up with blood and infection and then before you know it, a vortex opens and it's on for young and old.

there are members here where we cannot fault their flawless water maintenance and their fish still get wen ulcers.

each fish irrespective of which you choose can come with it's own problem. parasites sometimes can live through the qt process and follow on to infest the rest of your population. choose a fish that chooses you, inspect that when you do purchase it, it's in good health on the exterior and displays good swimming with no boyancy issues. then, you can only hope for the best as you provide it the best possible care you can.

wen ulcers can be treated, we've had successful outcomes here before.

good luck, each fish you mention above are very active and downright adorable :)

Alright, I am going to be totally against the grain here and vote no more fish :P unless that is you are going to be able to upgrade within the next 1-2 yrs (or however long it takes your fish to grow).

I keep two 6-7 inch orandas in a 40 breeder and they more than fill up the tank (I actually think they really need an upgrade), I can't imagine keeping a third fish in this tank. It is absolutely do-able when they are small, but once they begin to get above 5 inches, the space in a 40 gallon really starts to shrink. I would not recommend anymore than 2 adult fish in this size tank.

So, just something to think about for the long term :)

Otherwise, if you see yourself upgrading that soon, I vote ranchu! :)

Ahh, so I should probably quarentine them for a while to minimize the risk? About how long should that be done, and can I do it in say, a five gallon bucket? Sadly my only tanks are full up and occupied!

EDIT: It might be a bit of a squeeze, but I think they'll be fine for as long as I've got them. I'm just in a bit of a financial rough spot that probably won't last more than another eight or nine months, if I really need to upgrade then I can probably do it. Still, I thought I was accounting well for their size; even counting the little BN Pleco, that's still ten gallons per fish.

Edited by Evening

• Supporter

no.. no 5 gallon bucket. a new fish will need 10 gallons and 4 weeks is the minimum in qt with salt and prazi as the minimum requirement. if you can't provide that at the moment, then i suggest you hold off buying until you can.

Ahh, so I should probably quarentine them for a while to minimize the risk? About how long should that be done, and can I do it in say, a five gallon bucket? Sadly my only tanks are full up and occupied!

You'll want to QT for at least 1 month. Most people here treat with salt and prazipro (for flukes) as a part of their standard QT procedure. You want at least 10 gallons for your QT (20 if your fish is on the larger side). You can use a large plastic storage bin (e.g. sterilite container) with a filter and airstone for QT if you don't have another tank. :)

EDIT: posted at the same time as Stakos ;)

I use a 5 gallon bin as my qt. My fish are bigger but not huge, and the 5 has been fine for everyone so far. I do daily 90 percent WCs for them. I wouldn't do it long term though.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Yeesh! If it takes a whole month, I'll see about getting a storage tub or something. Is there a particular brand that works well, or will I just have to wing it? Xp

You want to look for one that says it is 'food safe', the sterilite ones work great. You can get a big one for 10-12 dollars at walmart :)