Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bmblsad

Tiny bump on side and some bottom sitting behavior

Recommended Posts

Morning report: Dave is still with us, pooping up a storm with very long but otherwise healthy looking poo. No listing or sideways swimming at all. The two bumps that were the cysts are almost imperceptible, though the scales around them look just a tiny bit irritated. This is day 6 of epsom salts and day 5 of metro+. He keeps plugging along. :heart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fantastic update hun :) you're doing so well for dave and he's responding accordingly :heart

keep up the good work :bighug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:alc Thanks! Couldn't have made it this far without you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I'd check in quick with an update. Continuing the daily water changes with the redose of metro and epsom salts. Most recent water parms are looking good:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrate - < 5

pH 8.4

He's eating his metromeds, and continuing to leave me nice presents on the bottom of his tank to vac up :-) He seems to be swimming a bit more than bottom sitting, although I haven't had long periods of time to watch over the last couple of days. I don't want to say we're out of the woods yet, but I do think the trees are thinning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome update :heart

keep up the good work and remember to not exceed 8 days of Epsom. if you're satisfied that Dave is no longer swollen, you can stop the Epsom even as of now as it's not a med per se..

if there are no more burst cysts or oozing puss, then you can reduce the wc's to every other day..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I'd pop in with an update. While Dave still spends a lot of time bottom sitting he is swimming around more, too, so I think he's making progress. A few times though I've found him right next to the filter intake - I wouldn't say stuck to it but definitely a little too tired to fight it. So I don't think he's close to normal yet, and will keep monitoring him.

I'm doing water changes of about 10gals every other day now, no epsom replacement. I discontinued the metro+ after 5 days (as per the label), but am continuing to feed the metromeds, which he's eating hungrily . Today is day 10 of the metromeds, so 4 more days to go. Then, I'll start him on the gel food I made. He's still producing really long poop segments, but they're well formed and the color of the food - so I'm assuming that's okay. I can still see a little bump on his left side where the original cyst appeared and burst, and also on on his right side that developed afterwards. The water parameters are staying within the normal ranges. So all in all, things look good. I will be out of town for most of next week, so I will do a large water change before I go and hope for the best! Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and encouragement. This has really been a learning experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you can get us some photos or a video, just so we can see whats going on :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news! I haven't seen him hanging out at the filter tube at all since my last post - a good sign! He's still eating well, swimming about, and picking through the gravel. The cyst on his left is still there...or at least the scales are still raised around it. (I have a pic but keep getting an error when I try to upload it - it's only 22k so I don't think it's too big).

I do have a somewhat urgent question though - I was just reading the post about Delilah pineconing in the 911 forum. In it, Helen mentioned that the epsom never goes away and after 8 days must be stopped or you risk anemia. Looking at my spreadsheet I see I went 10 days with the epsom in the water :(, and on the 10th day I only did a partial water change - about 65-70%. I did another partial WC since then, so there's still a trace of epsom in the water . I have the water prepped to do another 70% change this morning, so more will be removed - but there will still be some present. My math skills suck so I have not idea how much. Is this okay? or should I do a 100% to get rid of any traces altogether?

That's it for today! Hope all you folks and your GFs are doing well!

Beth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi beth!., thank you for the update and i look forward to seeing the pic you're uploading :)

good work with dave :heart

yes, depending on how weak the fish is and particularly the condition that is affecting it, there is risk that exceeding the 8 days can have bad results. but don't panic, if dave is doing well, all you need to do is gently scoop him out into a food safe container and do a 100% wc.. whilst his in the container, remember, temperature is dropping, so prepare all salts and meds prior to the wc and his removal and then just add them before you add him :)

i want to discuss the MetroMeds with you. seeing as the cysts are still present, would you be able to continue him on them for the full course of 30 days? there is obvious bacteria still present within him and the treatment should help to clear that up. what do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been traveling for work again so my apologies for the delay in responding. I finally figured out why I couldn't upload my pic - b/c I've exceeded my max limit. Doh! So here's a link to the image on photobucket

daveday14.jpg

This was taken on June 1, 14 days after the cyst on his right broke,and about 10 days after the second cyst on his left appeared. I did see a small amount of white stuff ooze out of the 2nd cyst but it did not drain at all like the first one did. The area around the 1st cyst is much reduced, but there's still a bit of a bump and some raised scales around the 2nd. I can't tell if they're raised because the cyst is still there or because those scales aren't going to return to normal due to the dropsy.

I am continuing the metromeds. I'm on day 16 of metromeds (started on May 24th), and will continue for a total of 30 days. Do you think I should do another 5-day round of Metro+ in the water, too, to see if that will reduce the bump? Or wait until Day 30 of the metromeds and then reassess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...