Tiny bump on side and some bottom sitting behavior

bmblsad

Here are my current water parameters:

• * Ammonia Level: 0
  • * Nitrite Level: 0
  • * Nitrate level: 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): starts at 7:4 but increases to 8.4 when aerated.
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 69-70
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gal, 1.5 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, about 70-80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3, 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 goldfish, about 3 inches plus tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Progold, about 4-5 pellets in AM and PM; fast every 7-10 days with blanched peas afterward; occasional blood worm or shrimp.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Did a prazi cycle about 12 months ago but nothing since.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? It looks like a very tiny raised bump, like a pimple, on his right side. I noticed it about 4-5 days ago but it was so tiny I wasn't sure. It has not grown but it looks like the very center has darkened slightly. I will include a pic.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Started bottom sitting off and on about 5-6 days ago.

As noted in the list above, Dave started bottom sitting off and on about 5-6 days ago. Yesterday, the amount of time he bottom sat increased pretty dramatically - like he stayed in the same spot for multiple hours. Today, after feeding, he is more active but he always tends to be more active after feeding. About 4-5 days ago I saw the ever so tiniest little raised bump on his right side. I wasn't even sure then that it was anything or just my imagination. But, the bump is still there, still about the same size, but the center has darkened slightly.

Here's a pic with an arrow pointing to the little spot. Did I mention it's little? Hope you can see it.

post-19555-0-92866900-1337274367_thumb.j

While the water readings looks really good, I do want to mention that we recently moved to a new house (April 1) that has a well. Previously, we were on city water. We do have a new water softener as the well water is quite hard and had enough iron/dissolved organic solids in it that it was turning my blond hair orange. But the new water softener has remedied all of that.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think or do. Should I salt the tank and if so how? I've never done it before but have epsom salts, aquarium salt, and kosher salt on hand. I just need someone to explain or point me to a post that explains how to salt a tank.

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Supporter

it looks like a bacterial cyst. good thing is that your fish is in a tank of it's own. there is not much you can do at the moment other than keep up your normal routine until it pops and then daily water changes until it oozes clean. be on alert though, once it pops you will need to salt the tank so that the wound remains sterile and begins to heal.

you may like to treat with metronidazole if there are multiple cysts or if what appears to be coming out is more parasitic.

i would start to look at removing hollow ornaments if any and really giving gravel a good clean with each water change if you have any in there. bacteria is present either in your tank or filter for this to have surfaced.

i don't think it's anything to be too concerned about, but cannot be left unattended.

Hi Beth,

Helen gave you some excellent guidance there. The other thing that might be considered is to do another treatment of flukes (Prazipro) + salt at 0.1% (That's 13 level teaspoons, dissolved before adding to the tank and replaced with WCs).

How many rounds of flukes treatment did you do last time?

Edited by dnalex

Thank you both for the speedy replies. He did develop two cysts about a year ago although they were much larger, and luckily none actually broke. They were just reabsorbed I guess. So if/when this one breaks, I will start salting then with daily large WCs. I assume I keep replacing the salt with each WC to keep it at a 0.1% concentration...?

I do have a hollow ornament in there - one of those Parthenon looking things - but it has an air bubbler in the center so I thought that would keep bacteria from forming. Is that not the case? I will definitely remove it. No gravel, just a bare bottom.

I did have quite a build up of that icky brown algae this last time. I used a blue aquarium sponge to scrub it off floor and walls during the last water change. Could the removal of the algae have caused this? There was quite a bit of it floating about in the water during the WC.

As for the prazi, I did 3 rounds of it following a routine laid out in one of the posts here (can't quite remember now how many days were between rounds - like 12??). I do have prazi on hand so could combine it with the salting if needed.

Thanks again - I will watch diligently!

Beth

• Supporter

hi beth :hi

sometimes bacterial cyst can reoccur. with my fish Rocky, they came back i think 3 times? the first time i treated with Metronidazole. that got rid of them no problems. being in AUS, it's difficult to get medicines without prescription, so when they reoccured the 2nd and 3rd time, i just put rocky into a qt and waited results (either popping or reabsorbing). but your fish is on it's own so i would leave it there and treat if needed. the moment they popped, i would do large daily wc's and replace the salt with my water change. i am confident that if they are bacterial cysts, thats all you need to do to bring your fish back to good health.

i do not recall her feeding/behaviour changing at all.. she remained the bright little spark that she is, constantly on the move and food begging.

Hi back! :hi

Thanks so much for the input. I will keep watching him. If these things are gonna burst, is there a time frame in which they usually do it? Also, once they do burst, how long do they usually take to heal? I'm going out of town June 5-8 so I'm hoping I can get this to resolve before that. I don't think my DH will be too hip on doing WCs for me... :cry

Unlike your fish, while his appetite is still good he has slowed down quite a bit with the bottom sitting. But he did that the last time he had cysts, so I'm guessing it's normal for him. I can't imagine having a bump on your rump feels too good! :rofl Anyway, I do have metro so could use it if needed. Have a great day!

My worry meter is going off. For the last 24 hours, Dave has been essentially sedentary. He will sit in the same spot for hours. This is not normal if there is such a thing as normal. When he had cysts in the past, they looked different and while he would bottom sit he would also swim around a bit. This morning he seems to be doing a lot of that water gulping thing, too, as he sits on the bottom. I just don't know what to make of it. The cyst hasn't burst so I'm not sure if I should do anything other than a large water change, which I'm starting now. If you have any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. :help:

• Admin

Does your bumps look like this?

What do we have going on in the water, also if you can get a photo of your tank.

When was the last time you cleaned the main part of the filter. Im talking about just the blue box it self :)

So sorry about the delayed response. I had to be away from the house most of the day. :no: Just got back and yes, his bump looks very much like that - especially now because it has opened. There is this white stuff sticking out of it - almost looks like a whitehead pimpley thing. So is this a bacterial cyst? or something else?

He seems to be fighting the current in the tank a bit now, too. He's sitting on the other side of the tank from the filter intake tube but it still seems to be sucking him towards it. There is a surprising amount of poo in the tank for just being cleaned this morning.

Here's a pic of his tank:

post-19555-0-57040800-1337477818_thumb.j

As you can see, it's pretty sparse in there. I have the one ornament with the fake greens on it and a bubbler. I removed most of the gravel about 6 months ago.

As far as the filter goes, I just cleaned the whole thing during my last water change. It had probably been about 3 months since I had actually removed and cleaned the box. I usually swish out the media (2 sponges and a bag of those ceramic rings) in a bucket of old tank water every 3rd or 4th water change. The media that's in the filter has been in there for a good year. It isn't the prettiest color but it's still in good shape so I haven't changed it. Hope that's okay.

I'm not sure what's going on in the water. I have just moved to a new house with well water. The well tested fine for the usual stuff they test it for. The water does have an ever so slight brownish-orange color to it, I think from the iron in the water. Before we had a new water softener installed, it was really bad - was turning my hair orange it was so bad. :yikes But since the new water softener the color is almost imperceptible.

I'm going to start another water change and salt the tank. I do have several different medications on hand if needed.

• Supporter

if the matter coming out of his spot is pasty white, then it's a bacterial cyst. here's what my fish looked like with a burst bacterial cyst:

burstbump1.jpg

here's how many cysts he was affected with.. so you really need to look rather closely to see if there are any more. some or most of the times, there's only one cyst, i consider Rocky's case to have been one of the very few extreme cases where we needed to use Metronidazole in the water.

poorrocky.jpg

i am pretty confident if your fish only has the one cyst to deal with and it's burst, then all you need to do is daily water changes of 60% and salt up to 0.2% till the wound has healed.

Yes, that is what it looks like. Thanks so much for posting the picture. I just finished an 80% water change and then salted to 0.1% following the instructions Trinket provided in her pinned post on salting. So, after 12 hours I will raise the salt to 0.2%.

My question is this...when I do a water change, how do I get the water back to the same level of salt? So if I do a 60% water change, that means I will remove/replace 9 gallons of water in my 15-gallon tank. So do I add back 2 teaspoons per gallon replaced to keep it at a 0.2% solution? My math skills are abysmal.

• Supporter

yes.. 2 teaspoons per gallon for the water that you are replacing to keep the level at 0.2%

if in a few days, your fish does not show some good improvement overall, post back, we may look at something mild to start with whilst we continue with the salt treatment.

• Supporter

and by the way, i though i'd mention, Rocky is still with me today fighting fit. she's 8 this year, so that is good proof that bacterial cysts when treated correctly are not life threatening to freshwater fish.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. I will definitely post back on progress. I keep forgetting to ask - should I cut back on his feeding? His appetite is still normal but I'm wondering if I should back it down to keep as little junk in the water as possible during treatment.

• Supporter

no, i don't see why his feeding routine should change. it's never a good idea to overfeed just the same, so if you think you need to change the feeding amount, fair enough, but the frequency shouldn't bother him.

Yea! I was hoping that was the case. Eating makes him very happy - a trait I share with him :Scoff:

When they're stressed, do they poop more?

Also, are there certain things I should watch for that would give me an early indication that conditions are degrading - for example raised scales?

Sorry for all the questions...btw, aren't you in Australia? Shouldn't you be sleeping :-)

• Supporter

that makes 3 of us with the eating trait.. lol :P

i don't think they poop more when they're stressed, well, it's not an observation i've made in the past. i know that when we treat with meds and we raise the temp to 80F, this increases the motabilism and they fish poops faster (ie, digests at a faster rate).

as your fish's bacterial cyst has burst, i don't think you will get any raised scales, but it's always good to keep a look out. before Rocky's cyst burst, she had raised scales purely from the bump (big cyst, little body) and then that all went down the day it burst.

bacterial cysts normally, when treated and looked after the way we are doing now, should not progress into bacterias/infections that cause the symptom dropsy. they are concentrated to the affected area only as far as i am aware or have experienced.

yes, i am in AUS, it's almost 2am and i am working on my businesses O.o i will be heading off soon(ish) :rofl

• Admin

Great information from Stakos! :thumb:

That video was of Charlie, he had this about a month ago. I did exactly what stakos said and hes now back to his normal self.

I also left the .2% salt in the tank for two more days after it disappeared. This was just to make sure that it was totally healed.

Your tank looks good though :)

Thanks! It's good to know others have gone through this with much success :-) Dave is resting quietly - the little lesion is definitely looking better. I don't see stuff oozing out of it like it was last night. A few scales are still somewhat raised, but the swelling is mostly down and it just looks kind of red now. I just wish he'd start being more active. He just sits for hours at the bottom of the tank - unless of course I'm feeding him and then he perks up considerably. But then, who doesn't ? :P

I was able to take a video using my phone, but couldn't figure out how to edit it. It's a bit longer than it needs to be. Anyway, you can view it at this link on YouTube

He's actually a lit more active in this video than he has been but I'm sure it's because I've turned on the light and am bothering him.

• Supporter

ok, overall, Dave looks good :heart

he does look a little swollen in the belly, i wonder if there is some constipation happening? that is a stretched vent and i am wondering if david is a davette with eggs? lol..

would you prepare some peas to feed him? have you noticed any poop in the last few days?

I have noticed a lot of poop in the last few days - more than usual. And I've seen it trailing behind him...or her?...which rarely ever see. I will get some peas prepped for him/her...