Sign in to follow this  
bagh

What is the relation of Garlic with Goldfish Food?

I have heard members say that they soak up the fish food in garlic water and the goldies eat them up very gladly. Do goldies like garlic in particular? Is it the same with fancies also?

I don't think there was ever a difference between single tails and fancies and their food preferences. It's still pig versus pig :rofl

Garlic is pretty irresistible to goldfish, and people use it because garlic is a natural antimicrobial, as well as an immune booster.

Thank you my knowledgeable friend Alex! I want to prepare garlic food too. Can you please guide me?

Right now, I'm eating garlic. LOL. :lol

It stinks! How do they like it? Do they need water change after garlic food?

Only if the smell bothers you. I personally LOVE garlic. I put it on everything, or even eat it raw like that if I want to LOL

It is extremely healthy, no matter if for you or the fish, and although there is some argument about it, it is also said to have positive effects in dogs - as long as you feed garlic in moderation.

I like this article on wikipedia about garlic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic

Especially in the "medicinal use and health benefits" section, where it says "In fact, countries where garlic is consumed in higher amounts, because of traditional cuisine, have been found to have a lower prevalence of cancer."

Thanks for the great information, Fang! Wow! I'm starting to love it! Eating another clove of Garlic now! :D

How shall I prepare garlic food for my Goldies? :) Please help.

I buy the already minced garlic as long as it has not additives. When I was trying to feed vegetables, I put a tsp of garlic in a bowl of tank water with the veg in it and blanched it. It helps them know what is food, although mine think everything is food :P

You can also mix garlic in with gel food. I usually add 1 tsp to the mixture :)

Interesting! I didn't know garlic had health benefits like that. I just know my goldfish go nuts for it. I wonder why they seem to like it so much. Maybe they can just smell it easily?

I buy the already minced garlic as long as it has not additives. When I was trying to feed vegetables, I put a tsp of garlic in a bowl of tank water with the veg in it and blanched it. It helps them know what is food, although mine think everything is food :P

You can also mix garlic in with gel food. I usually add 1 tsp to the mixture :)

Thank you so much, Alex for the help. :)

Interesting! I didn't know garlic had health benefits like that. I just know my goldfish go nuts for it. I wonder why they seem to like it so much. Maybe they can just smell it easily?

Yep! I think so.. Garlic is very irrestible, I find!

can you use garlic powder or does it have to be 'proper' garlic?

can you use garlic powder or does it have to be 'proper' garlic?

Garlic powder is fine. :)

to entice Caldwell and Febber for their first feeding of spinach, I put garlic powder in the water that I put the baby spinach in and put in the microwave for a few minutes..............let it cool...........and then put some in a veggie clip and they TORE it up...........no problem since~~~they know what it is now and look forward to their treat of spinach........................ :clapping:

I don't think there was ever a difference between single tails and fancies and their food preferences. It's still pig versus pig :rofl

Garlic is pretty irresistible to goldfish, and people use it because garlic is a natural antimicrobial, as well as an immune booster.

Thanks. My goldies need some immune boost. Just the right advice i was looking for. Thanks again.