Sign in to follow this  
lynda441

Little Toby is Bloated and Upside Down, But There Are No Raised Scales

You got it! No more peppers either! I'm so glad I'm getting all these tidbits of advice! Heck! peppers give a lot of humans gas, I can only imagine what it does to the sensitive "tummies" of our goldies!

yay! I just got off the phone with a Chinese/Vietnamese grocery store here called Southeast Market, and they say they carry agar agar. So, I will be running down there - maybe tomorrow, and get some agar and then make a new, small batch of food and toss out my old stuff.

And, also, call it coincidence, and it just might be, but I've aged water for two water changes so far and Toby hasn't flipped at all. So, call it what you will, but aging does seem like it might be helping.......

You got it! No more peppers either! I'm so glad I'm getting all these tidbits of advice! Heck! peppers give a lot of humans gas, I can only imagine what it does to the sensitive "tummies" of our goldies!

yay! I just got off the phone with a Chinese/Vietnamese grocery store here called Southeast Market, and they say they carry agar agar. So, I will be running down there - maybe tomorrow, and get some agar and then make a new, small batch of food and toss out my old stuff.

And, also, call it coincidence, and it just might be, but I've aged water for two water changes so far and Toby hasn't flipped at all. So, call it what you will, but aging does seem like it might be helping.......

Fantastic! :)

The amount of agar you use should be about the same as when you use gelatin, and given your familiarity with making gel food, I think you won't have any issues. It will be just a matter of achieving the right consistency for you and the fish :)

I think a pretty good rule of thumb to go by for making gel food is that whatever can cause humans to be gassy, it's probably worth re-considering putting in the gel.

It's great that the aged water is helping out with the flipping issues. It could be that there are gasses added to the water that causes sensitive fish to flip.

Well, aging the water is great, but for regular water changes in the main tank, that isn't going to be an option. There's no way I can age 30 gallons of water each week! lol! Well, maybe with the changes in the gel food, the aged water won't be an issue.......

One thing at a time, see what works. That's how you have to do it!

Well, aging the water is great, but for regular water changes in the main tank, that isn't going to be an option. There's no way I can age 30 gallons of water each week! lol! Well, maybe with the changes in the gel food, the aged water won't be an issue.......

One thing at a time, see what works. That's how you have to do it!

hun you could do what I saw RanchuGirl do with her 125 gallon tank. She had a very large Garbage can that she would fill up, then us a power head pump to pump it back to the tank :thumb:

hun you could do what I saw RanchuGirl do with her 125 gallon tank. She had a very large Garbage can that she would fill up, then us a power head pump to pump it back to the tank :thumb:

Well, I'm in my brother's house, with his family, and I feel like I'm imposing enough, but I would totally do this in my own apartment. Of course, by that time, I wouldn't have softened water and I might not need it. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see on that!

Note to Tithra: I received the MMs AND a bonus of Jumpstart! What a pleasant surprise! Thank you so much for that!

I understand hun. :)

Just a thought to have :hug

glad you got it! :) Good luck!