Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Euthanasia'.
The search index is currently processing. Current results may not be complete.
I know that they are probably going to suffer or be in a constant pain due to their deformities and its an act of mercy but still... I look at their tiny twisted and curved bodies struggling for life and I don't have the heart to put an end to their misery. Today when I was changing the water I was determined to get done with it for once and for all and even got to the point of catching the two Barry Allens and then....I put them back with the others. When it comes to animals I just can't. I'd rather leave them alone and hope nature do its work. At this pace I might have to hire a professional fish assasin. How do you guys deal with it? I found a video of howto humanly euthanize your fish. Well most likely there's nothing more human than to kill and destroy everyting on your path...I guess I'm just not human enough. Sorry for the rambling. If you know a way that is not as brutal as pooring some chemical in the water and watch the fish agonize I would appreciate your sharing it with me.
So Pickle is not doing too well. Yesterday morning I noticed a small red spot, a bit like a hematoma, on his belly. I immediately assumed it was the result of his SBD and floating excessively on his back, so I applied a thin layer of vaseline and removed him from the main tank, into a small bowl for feeding and observation. I put him back in the tank when I left for work (right now it's about 95F up here and I have no AC...will have some next week but because of this I absolutely can't have a QT set up as it would get much too hot within hours) and when I got home the spot had at least quadrupled in size. I've attached a video so you guys can see it, and see how he swims.... I freaked out, and moved him to the bowl, and he seemed a bit better. He is weaker, but still eating and still trying to right himself. Keep in mind, I have tried EVERYTHING to help this SBD, which Pickle has had ever since I first got him. I tried vegan diet, peas, fasting, lower water level, lower temperature, medication, etc. None of this has made any difference, but I never saw any sores until this one. The sore has remained the same size today - nothing has gotten better, but nothing has gotten worse. At this point...I just don't know what to do. This came on so fast, and I don't want him to be in pain. However, I also don't want to cut his life short if he could get better. I just want to know...if you were me, what would YOU do? I know this is a personal decision, but I need some help making it. I've been on the edge with him a few times, and none of them have been this bad. Maybe it's because I've seen him get better that I'm hesitating. Please help Water Testing: Temp: 80F pH: 8.2 Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 10ppm