Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sea

  1. Thanks for the info and for confirming it in your "Fancy Goldifsh" book. I think your approach on meds matches mine pretty well - I am hesitant to use any anti-bacterial unless I am specifically told to do so I typically (after being informed by a mod a long time ago that I should have done this ) use prazi and 0.3% salt in qt. Usually I use them at the same time for 2 weeks but since this fish was small I figured I would stagger them and use the Prazi (I did 3 doses over the course of 10 days adding back with water changes) and then the salt (gradually taking up to 0.3%) for the next 10 days. But since the fish now looks stressed I am leaving things as is (the salt is at 0.1% - am not sure if I will try to raise it or lower it at this point) and just monitoring. I noticed that the poop looks brown but long and thin (whereas before it was normal looking) and just read that this is normally caused by stress and not eating well. Sigh, I hope this little guy is going to be ok.
  2. Thanks. It is now AM and the fish still does not look like his former self so I am not going to raise the salt. Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that Prazi was effective against flukes but not other micro parasites (costia, chilo, etc.) that the salt would get rid of. I am still curious as to whether 0.3% is necessary or something like 0.2% would still help against these kinds of parasites. In any case I think you are right and I will just leave him in clean unmedicated water and watch. I don't want to medicate with anything harsher than Prazi and salt if it is not necessary and since salt seems to be an issue I won't do that either. Thanks, sea
  3. I have a new small fantail in qt (I am monitoring the water and keeping ammonia, nitrite at 0, nitrate <20). He has been there for ~10 days with Prazi. I am now taking the Prazi conc down and this AM started to add salt with the intention of getting to 0.3% and keeping him in that for another ~10 days to be sure there are no parasites. This AM I added salt to 0.1% (1 teaspoon per gal - yes?) and he already started to act a little weird - hanging out towards the top of the tank. I am going to wait 24 hours instead of the usual 12 before bringing it up to 0.2% (want to wait until AM when I can observe him better). My question is, if he has trouble with the salt, will leaving it at 0.2% still help with parasites or does it have to be 0.3%? How long should I leave it for? BTW, I have not see any flashing but there are missing scales. Also I have seen some slight black smudges that came up 7-10 days after I got him. I am assuming that this is likely melanophore migration and may be due to poor water conditions he was kept in before I got him. Is this really a sign of healing and should this go away on its own?
  4. WOW - I am in awe at all you are able to do! I have been immersed in my own little world the past few weeks but am glad to hear that you found a place and are moved in safely. I hope one day you will be able to look back at all your moving adventures and smile
  5. It was white, not bloody. It really looked like gill tissue was actually sticking out - is that possible? It was only on one side - the inside of the gills on the other side were pale (as they usuallye were) but looked intact. Does this give any clues as to what it could have been? What would mucusy-stuff mean? I am going to want to get another fish at some point but want to make sure all is well with the tank first. All parameters (including pH) have been fine although it is very hot (84F).
  6. Thanks Imogen. I'll continue it for hte full 5 days then. I came home from my trip 3 weeks ago and Smudge looked pretty bad. However I managed to get him healthy again and he looked so much better over the past 2 weeks. That is until yesterday when he started releasing something from one of his gills. I am not sure what it was - it actually looked like gill tissue itself. He still seemed happy and was swimming around and eating when I started the course of M2 this AM. I just came home and he is gone . I will try to remember him as his beautiful happy self he was this AM and not the sickly guy he was over the past many months. Thanks so much for all your help. I would not have had him this long if not for you .
  7. I started maracyn 2 treatment in my main tank about 8 hours ago for my fish Smudge (I had posted here many times - he has had chronic gill problems). Unofrtunately he just passed on . There is one other fish in the tank that seems ok for now. My question - should I keep dosing for the full five maracyn 2 treatments or is it better to stop? I know I should have used a q-tank but since I didn't please help me to decide what is best. I can't think straight right now. Thanks, sea
  8. Hi Calle, I am not an expert but wanted to caution with respect to the epsom salt dose I was told that it is 1/4 teaspoon epsom per 10 US gal (not 1 teaspoon per 5) and that dose worked for me. Maybe you should hold off until someone can confirm? In any case, good luck!
  9. No, we are feeling the effects of the fires near Big Sur and the ones that are near Santa Cruz. No danger to our homes it is just that the air is really smokey. I am glad that Smudge is doing better - thank you for helping to pull him through yet another problem (one of my ADFs died though - I think the tank just got too hot (>90F) ) )
  10. Yes, I usuallly use a toothbrush and scrub the sides and bottom weekly. I have green algae on the back of the tank which I leave. The tank is near a window so it can get a lot of sun light. Now however, I need to keep everything shut down completely due to the smoke and bad air Goldone, my water had chloramines and yes I always treat with Prime (or Trinket's prime-like crystals) prior to adding ot the tank. Smudge is improving - bottom sitting <50%, eating the MM, poops half brown half thin and white (not sure if this is still from infection or constipation).
  11. Hi Trinket - A uv might be great but money is tight and I just can't afford it . Update on Smudge - I did ~30% water change today and left both fish in the tank BUT I decided to just syphon up the water and very top of the river rocks and not do any vacuuming or moving around of the rocks and debris. Anyway even this was stressful to Smudge although the problem was nowhere to the same extent as the problem that I saw previously when he flipped over for days and developed dropsy. This time he was up at the top of the tank sucking air and floating (right side up though) for several hours. He is swimming a bit more now although still looks pretty floaty. I think some of this is due to him being on MM pellets for 10 days (I usually try to stay away from pellets as he has bouts of sbd). So I am thinking of alternating 30% weekly changes done without vacuuming but leaving him in the tank (like today's) with large changes in which I take him out. The tank will not be as clean as I usually keep it but ironically he has never shown problems when I don't do water changes - only when I do
  12. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful and proud-looking fish.
  13. I just wanted to wish you and luck and let you know that there is hope! My fish, Smudge, was upsidedown at the top of the tank and not eating for 3 days. He was swollen and pineconed. As per Trinket's suggestion I added epsom salt and, ~12 hours later when there was no improvement, I added Maracyn2. Within 12 more hours he was down from the top and able to eat the metromed food. I finished the course of M2 and he is on week 2 of the MM food and looking better. I sure hope your fish pulls through as well. Boy, it seeems like there is a lot of dropsy these days - I wonder if it is the change in temp or ?
  14. Update - Smudge's behavior seems to be improving slowly . He is bottom sitting less (50-60% time insead of constantly) and is eating his MM. I still do not know if I should routinely take him out for water changes or if taking him out every week will be too stressful. The other option would be to do very small changes (20%?) more often but keep him in the main tank. Thoughts/suggestions? Goldone, I guess nitrogen is possible - I really can't say what about the water changes bothers Smudge. I have varied so many things with no real difference. He has chronic gill issues and it is just consistent that he is worse after a water change. This time though was the first time he flipped and then when dropsy set in it was just awful. I am glad he is getting better
  15. I saw this pix of popeye: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=4110 and this one of dropsy (although I know I saw a better one here somewhere): http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Dropsy.html I think the book and pinned pix is a great idea
  16. Trinket, Liz thanks for checking in and for your good wishes. Smudge is looking better this AM He came up to eat his MM (he didn't yesterday - hopefully skipping a day is not too bad) and is swimming around a little more. Still a lot of bottom sitting and I saw the thin white poop again but given all he has been through I know he needs time to get better. I'll stick to the MM and wait and see. Trinket - do you think it is better to do large weekly changes taking him out of the tank each time or to do smaller ones every other day or so leaving him in? I am wondering what is less stressful for them? This was the first time my fish have been out of their tank since I got them - isn't it stressful to move them back and forth? Thanks again
  17. OK, I did the water change (taking the fish out) a few hours ago and Smudge does not look too happy. He is back in his tank but bottom sitting behind a plant with his fins clamped. He did not come out when I went to the tank or when I dropped in some MM food. It is not as bad as last time when he was flipped over on top of the tank (for 3 days) but still not good. He actually was starting to look better before the water change. Although he still bottom sat ~80% of the time he came out more often and happily ate his MM food. He looked a little swollen but not pineconed anymore. To do the change I put tank water (just scooped it in not vaccumed) into the tub and tranferred in both fish by hand. I had never done this before - Pudge who is healthier and bigger was quite wiggly and active when I picked him up but seemed ok once in the tub. Smudge was totally docile when I picked him up - it is clear that he is still pretty sick. He held still in the tub. I did >80% change with thourough vacumming (the tank was quite dirty as it has been a week and I have been heavily feeding the MM) and added back water which was close to the same temp (by hand) and was the same pH (by test). I let the filter run almost an hour with the new water in to try to get any debris, etc which could hurt Smudge get filtered out or settle down. Then I transferred both fish back in. There is no more M2 or epsom in the tank and I added back the carbon. What should I do now? I imagine I should just wait and see if he starts to get better after some of the stress wears off? Thanks for all your support
  18. Thanks for the clarificationon pink vs. brown gills. I checked the nitrite again - still 0 but I agree that I could very well have missed the spike. He is still bottom sitting but comes out to eat his MM. The pineconing is barely noticeable now. I am going to try to wait it out, dose the last M2 tonight and do the massive change/clean out tomorrow PM. I am more than a bit nervous about the water change given what happened last time. It was totally unexpected and shocked me completely. I'll keep you posted - thanks again
  19. It could be nitrites I guess as I didn't check for nitriites until after 3 doses of the M2 when Smudge started to look worse. I noticed the tank was very cloudy for the first 2 days - not sure if that has anytihng to do with nitrites but on the M2 package it says that that is common. The lights are dimmed. I have given M2 previously with no bad reaction but he was never this sick. Would nitrite posioning change the color of the gills so fast? So it is ok to wait for another 36 hours (24 hours post last M2 dose) and then do the change? After that he will only be on the MM. Thanks again
  20. I'm confused now and wanted to get your take on the situation. On the one hand Smudge is looking better. He is much less swollen and there is less pineconing. I saw several very large poops hanging from him - they are now whitish to light brown. All that is good right? However his behavior has been worse the past 2 days. He now is bottom sitting and hiding all day except during meal times compared to on Saturday and most of Sunday when he was swimming around. A possible clue is that I think his gills look slightly brown on the inside instead of red but I am not sure if this is real or what this could mean. The epsom has been in 3.5 days and I am about to add the 4th dose of maracyn 2. He has been on MM food for 3 days. I tested the water today and it is ok - amm:0, nitrite:0, nitrate:15. I am trying to wait until after the 5th (last) dose of the maracyn 2 to do a water change if possible Questions: 1) Any idea why his behavior is worse? 2) What could the brownish gills mean and what should I do? 23 For the water change after the last dose of M2 I think I will transfer him to a tub and do a huge water change/vacuum vac of the tank. How long would you suggest I wait until adding him back? The only tub I can use is the one I use to qt my plants - it is only 2 gal, no filter or anything so I don't want to leave him there for too long. Thanks again for your advice
  21. Hi again - GOOD NEWS Smudge is now hanging out (right side up) in the middle of the tank and I see some poop coming out!!! IT is long and greyish/whitish but not very thin. I hadn''t seen poop from him in many weeks although I typically see some from Pudge at least 1X/day (normal looking). I hadn't thought much about it - I just thought I kept missing the poop times but I guess this could it be part of the problem He is still swollen and slightly pineconed but I am encouraged by his progress so far. I have started the MM and he is eating it. I am trying to feed a little bit 4-5X times during the day. The temp is 80-82 now (we are in CA and it is hot!) and I have a bubble wand so hopefully ok in terms of O2. I'll leave in the epsom and keep dosing the M2 for the next 5 days and keep you posted. Thanks so much
  22. Trinket - thanks so much for your help so far A quick update and 2 questions for today: I started the epsom yesterday PM, checked on him again several times last night and wound up adding the M2 around midnight as he just looked awful and I felt that I needed to try everything possible to help him. This AM he is amazingly down from the top and hiding behind a plant. He still looks very swollen - maybe a little less pineconed but I am not sure. 1) Should I feed him (he has not eaten in 3 days) and if so what - metromed? peas? I am favoring the MM since he is still very weak and sick looking but don't want to reinduce the flipping. 2) I know I need to keep up the M2 for the next 5 days - should the epsom stay in there that long as well? If he survives this I know I will need some more advice on how to modify the tank, water changes, etc. I hope I have the opportunity to ask those questions later down the line Thanks again
  23. I'll add the epsom to the main tank now and wait O/N. Can you confirm that it is 1/4 teaspoon epsom per 10 US gal? I read that in another post. Anything else to know about epsom - I have never used it before. If no change by AM should I add the M2 then? If he lives through this I will definitely take him out for water changes. I can kick myself now because I knew he was having issues with water changes (he would bottom sit) but now this is much worse. I took my gravel out ~1 year ago and replaced with river rock. I will go bare bottom after this. Glad to hear that Moo is better!
  24. So sorry to hear about Moo. Is he back to normal? What are the odds that they will flip back after being upsidedown for 36 hrs? Smudge is calico so I can't see any obvious dots. He does look like he is pineconing though. I have Maracyn 1, maracyn 2 and kanamycin - which would you suggest? I also have metromed - should I try to get him to eat? I think this might be hard to do. About the epsom as of now I do not have any place to move him to. Would it harm his friend? I can run out and get a tupperware if you think epsom is best.
  25. Ok, I am trying hard not to freak out too much. It is just too hard seeing him helpless and upsidedown like that. Also I think I may see signs of dropsy. He seems very swollen and his scales seem extended out. I don't know what I should do. Continue to fast him and do nothing else? I I have epsom salts - should I use them and if so, how? Should I use any meds and if so what do you suggest? I am not sure if I can get him to eat MM since he is upsidedown. I am also not sure if this is due to more of the same gill disease and if I should be treating that? Thanks
  • Create New...