Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MissyDraven

  1. Thank you all for your fast responses and concern, but I just checked her and she's gone. This site is absolutely wonderful, and I thank everyone here.
  2. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/mis...n/IMG_0749a.jpg http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/mis...n/IMG_0749b.jpg The best shots I could get.
  3. [*]Test Results for the Following: [*]Ammonia Level? 0 [*]Nitrite Level? 0 [*]Nitrate level? 10-20 [*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7-7.5 [*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? [*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drip test, API [*]Water temperature? 22 celsius [*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 gal, running 3years [*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 104 and Emperor 280 [*]How often do you change the water and how much? 40% weekly [*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 dojo loaches, 2 goldfish (1 4"moor, 15" ranchu) [*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime [*]What do you feed your fish and how often? ProGold, daily [*]Any new fish added to the tank? Not lately [*]Any medications added to the tank? None [*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? [*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? My Ranchu was found just now at the intake port on my fluval filter, slowly breathing, and seemingly bent over to one side. I checked her over and found her caudual openings to be greyish and swollen. THe whole area is swollen, and two pin-prick size orifices are visable. She's maybe a bit swollen, but with her egg-shaped body it's hard to tell. I added a tankmate for her a few months ago, and there was some aggression, nibbling and such, but I thought we were past that. I haven't seen anything for a few weeks now. I have her isolated from her tankmate by way of an overturned plastic collander at the moment. Please advise.
  4. no stars or anything like that. I think the new guy's still a baby and most likely too young for that. I've put him (?) under a large plastic collander in the tank for a while to see if he'll just calm down.
  5. I've just added a small-ish black moor to my tank. He's maybe all of 3 inches long and even that's at least an inch of tail. He's been chasing my mature Ranchu all over the place, but leaving my mature fantail alone. Sometimes he behaves, but not all the time. My Ranchu seems to take it in stride, but it's still re-growing some tailfin from a previous injury and is kind of slower as a result. Any suggestions? I don't see any stars on the newbie's face. Is my new fish just a jerk? MD
  6. I'm gone for 11 days starting Saturday and what happens but a case of fungus. I can administer the meds myself, but, the necessary 25% waterchange after the second dose of meds will have to be done by my fish sitter. Can I pre-buy spring water for her to replace with so there's no water conditioner related mishaps? I've asked her to just siphon the water out (the hose reaches to the tub) and put a cloth over the intake to prevent escapees. I'm also pre-portioning the food in pill boxes. Is there any way to make this easier? Is the spring water going to be ok? Thankyou MD
  7. yep, there's a goldfish on Youtube called Punch who likes physical contact. Also there's Sweet Pea on the youtube as well. Just be careful on the tube, there's a lot of fish abuse videos.
  8. my first tank was a ten gal with four feeders the pet shop gave me. I wanted to put two full size fancies in there. Not too bad for overstock, but I fell in love with the three feeders that survived I kept them until I got my 50 gal. They lived in there for almost six months before a bad bacterial invader got 'em all.
  9. Some of the best pictures of my fish I've ever taken were done while they were sleeping One time Jack scared the flakes right out of me, I thought he was dead he was so still.... and my loaches play dead all the time. On occasion I've had to go into the tank and rouse them.
  10. The antibiotics have run their course, and there is no improvement in Jack's condition. As of this evening, he is spitting out peas I'm trying to feed him. I have put him back in the main tank. I plan to see if his appetite returns tomorrow. I really hope the little [large] guy has some fight left. Is there anything else I can do? Or is there only one thing left....?
  11. yeah, I've noticed the water needing to be changed more often. I upped it to twice a week when I got the loaches. They were kind of a rescue.... long story. I keep the tank covered most of the time for humidity, I didn't know light de-activated the Maracyn 2. I'll keep the cover on all the time then. Basically if the antibiotics don't work I'm going to switch to palliative care. I'll keep feeding him as long as he's willing to eat and I'll fight as long as he will. However, we all know here that fish are kind of like dogs. Sometimes they just tell us when enough is enough.
  12. Thanks for the support, CG. I've been operating on the assumption that any day could be his last for about a month now. I think he's listing further over than before, and his appetite is certainly no less than voracious. He snapps the peas right out of my hand. However, since I've transferred him to the hospital tank, his exposed side has become much redder. There is no tank hood to keep the air humid, although I'm doing my best with plain petroleum jelly. I'm feeding nothing but peas for the moment, with the occasional bloodworm. The saga continues... -MD
  13. There's got to be a big BIG pond there somewhere. I had a dream once I died and was there, and my well-meaning golden lab (who's a puppy again) from years gone by pushed me into the pond to see all my fish, then jumped in after me.
  14. I thought my hospital tank was cycled. Jack went in on the evening of the 27th, and was administered an initial dose of both Maracyn medications. Day 2 of the meds was uneventful. This morning, I checked on him and found the water was very cloudy white. A quick workup of the water revealed a nitrIte reading of 1.0. I did a 50% waterchange with amquel+, a dose of cycle and one tbsp of aquarium salt to start with (this hospital is approx. 15 gallons) So far no change in his floaty-ness. I still have to hand feed him as he's completely upside down, listing to his right by about 10-15 degrees.
  15. Ok, the poor guy's still upside down and peeking out of the water. I'm keeping the tank lid closed as much as possible to maintain humidity above the water to keep his skin at least somewhat moist. I'm waiting for the hospital tank to cycle before I put him in there again. I've got gravel from the big tank to get some BB going, as well as tank water. I've had it set up for about a week now, ammonia is still reading about a 2.0 ppm Jack seems to be in decent spirits. I hand-feed him daily, usually just peas. He eats eagerly and usually between 8 and 10 pea halves.
  16. he did have a bout with septiciemia (or something like it) when he was really tiny. I suppose I vacuum the gravel, I didn't notice any gas getting released. What would this gas be, and how would it affect the pH? It's not a case of him getting better within a few hours, this first time it took days. If it's temperature, wouldn't he be fine once the tank equalized? Maybe that's it, I'm not sure. I've treated this second bout as constipation, as I did the first time, and there's no change. He's still completely upside down, unable to reach the bottom. I've replaced him in the main tank and I'm currently treating with Jungle labs' Fungus Clear. It claims to treat SBD. If this doesn't work, I'm going to isolate him and use Marcyn 1 and II. Thanks Trinket
  17. Oooooh! He's at it again, worse than ever. He was fine for a few days, then I did a waterchange. Next day he's floatier than he's ever been.
  18. There was one major change before this business started. There was a *HUGE* cold snap before the last waterchange I did, just before Jack got all floaty. Could there be extra dissolved gasses in the water, and if so could they cause this?
  19. I'll give the impellers all a good scrub when I get home from work today and see if that does it. Maybe a full test work-up and a big waterchange too. I can't think of anything new or different that happened when his balance problems started... Although I suppose it's not impossible that he's a she. I have a bad track record in sexing them. I have one known female in the tank, and she regularly drops eggs. I don't see any signs of illness, he's active and eating. He maintains balance very well until he stops to rest... then slowly flips. I saw him this morning upside down, kinda looking at me as if to say "um, 'scuse me, could you get me down from here please?" Thanks for all the help, Trinket.
  20. this was just done fast in paint with my baby squishy's pic. She is among the angels now...
  21. But if this was the case, wouldn't my other fancies be affected? Jack is able to right himself in the water, but it's not his 'natural' position. I think the constipation remedies I've tried have helped, but they haven't solved the problem. Oh, and I thoroughly cheaned out my fliters, their impellers and pipes just a few months ago. Might they need it again so soon? Should I go back to the hospital tank, dosing with antibiotics? I'm not very keen to do that, but if it's needed then I must. Edit: Jewels, they get Oranda Gold and occasional greenfoods like peas. I sometimes give them homemade gel food too but it's mostly soaked OG pellets
  22. Ammo level 0 NitrIte level 0 nitrAte level 20 pH 7+ Tank Size 50 gal running 1 1/2 years filters: Fluval 105 and Emperor 280 Waterchanges: weekly, based on nitrAte reading, Usually 20-50% Residents: 4 fancy goldfish, all large. Four juvenile dojo loaches and a handful of snails Additives: buffer up as needed, Amquel+ Meds: none yet New Fish: 2 loaches about 2 weeks ago. No signs of illness. Food: Hikari Oranda Gold, occasinal frozen bloodworm and greenfoods like peas Ok, here's the scoop. Jack's always been a tad bit "floaty" in that he easily loses track of the rest of his body while browsing the gravel for food. Up until recently, he's had no trouble righting himself when he wanted to. Four days ago I found him unable to maintain a stable upright position. It was as if someone had tied a baloon to his tail, he would flip over into a perfect "belly up" position as soon as he stopped actively trying to maintain orientation in the water. I fasted 1 day, then fed as many peas as they'd eat. Day 2, no improvement. In fact it was getting worse, I isolated Jack in a hospital tank and used epsom salt in 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons. Continued feeding peas as he'd take them. Day 3, lots of ahem, 'processed' peas in the tank bottom. Short thick pieces, Jack seemed better but still flipped over when not actively swimming Day 4, today. Observed hospital tank. Jack was upright, but sitting on the bottom and very lethargic. I have returned him to the main tank for observation. He is able to swim freely at times, but he also winds up belly up on the bottom. Any suggestions as to what action I should take now? I still have the hospital tank set up.
  23. update My four loaches are seen regularly hiding, playing and piling up like the playful things they are. They honestly seem happier now that there's more of them. I still catch the one pestering the goldfish once in a while, but that behavior is becoming less frequent.
  • Create New...