Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Roano

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Previous Fields

  • Age
  • Referred By
    Internet Search
  • How many Goldfish
    two comets, one common, and one ryukin
  1. So, I cleaned the impeller itself, plugged it back in and it made different noises; I think it was more "gurgley" than reverberating. Tried to clean out the hole by running water into it, and only ended up managing to get water on the cord leading into the motor. Soooo... I installed the new filter instead, which seems to have the same reverberating noise (albeit less) when the intake tube is pushed down fully. (And then it's extremely difficult to get out.) But it seems as that if I pull the intake tube up a bit, the noise is completely gone. This prevents the lid from fitting exactly how it's supposed to, and raises the water level a little inside the filter box but not enough to be a concern (as far as I can tell.) The cord on this new filter was a little stressed/twisted right at the base of the motor; I'm sure this is just from how it was packed in the box, and there's no break and I haven't had any problems. (The black of the cord is a little grey due to it being packed/stressed at that point.) Is that dangerous at all? Also, do you guys think watching this filter run for a week would mean it probably won't have any major issues when/if I'm gone? There haven't been any problems so far... Finally, both my filters tip a little to the left (toward the filter box, "away" from the motor and intake), due to the rim of the tank being a little too large for them between the intake tube housing and the inside of the motor. I haven't noticed any significant issues with this, but does anyone think that could be a problem? (Ex: could it "stress" the filters/motors somehow?) Thanks again...
  2. Okay, I'll do that and see how it sounds. I don't know how thoroughly I should get in the "hole" with Q-tips... could I mess up the equipment at all that way? I found at least one story with the low water level, on Koko's actually. (It happened to Toothless, and he said the impeller box on the filter started melting before he found out about it: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12827-another-penguin-or-an-aquaclear/page__p__155185__hl__%2Bmelting+%2Bfire__fromsearch__1#entry155185.) The water level didn't drop dramatically, it was just lower than normal but it's not an issue when a filter is running because it's like it's already primed. But if the power goes out, the water back-siphons via the intake tube into the tank. When the power comes back, if it's too low the filter has to be primed to pull it up. It's surprisingly easy to do. I had one filter (not one of these) that had issues even pulling water up when the water level was too high for some reason, so I had to find the right water level for that filter and the others which wouldn't pull the water up if it was too low. All right, thanks guys, I'll go try cleaning it right now.
  3. I did rinse it and clean it somewhat with the last water change... I guess I'll try doing that a little more thoroughly but it didn't seem too bad at all when I looked at it. You mean just the removable part, right? Not the "hole" where the impeller fits into the filter/motor?
  4. Hi guys; I'm looking for some info or personal experience regarding filters as fire hazards. I'm becoming increasingly worried about one of my hang-on-back filters because sometimes it makes irregular, reverberating noises. I turn my filters off when I'm feeding, and sometimes when I plug this one back in, it's pretty quite and I can just hear "normal" humming/gentle vibrating noises it makes with a few underlying gurgles/clicks inside the intake/motor area (I assume this is normal). Other times, those normal "reverberating" sounds are much louder. (Not grinding, really, but definitely louder.) The filter in question is at least 3 years old, minimum, and it's a Topfin 20 (cheaper brand.) The noise itself doesn't bother me, but I am concerned about some sort of motor malfunction that could lead to a fire. How realistic is this? (I've read of only a couple experiences where filters have caught fire, started fires, or came close to doing so. One of these instances seemed to be due to an electrical surge; the others happened when the power went out, came back, and the tank's water level was too low causing the filters to dry-run and overheat.) Is it more likely in this situation that the filter would just die/fail and not cause a fire? This noise issue is a relativly new problem; my fish was moved to my current tank a couple of months back and the edge is a little wide for the filters. (One is skewed sideways because of this, but the one with the "issues" is pretty level.) I think when I moved the filters over, the intake tube got pushed up a little out of its seating. This raised the water level inside the filter box, and when I discovered this I pushed the intake tube firmly back into its housing/seating. This was when the noises started, and I've been dealing with it all week. Strangely, if I unplug the filter when its noisy and feed the fish (maybe 10-15 minutes with the filter off) when I plug it back in I've noticed its quieter. If I restart it again without leaving it off for 10-15 min, then it's noisy... I bought a new filter today, but am a little nervous about switching. I'm planning to leave this weekend and feel like a week is too short a time to test this new filter for any issues before leaving for 3 days. I have sort of become fixated on this fire-hazard issue, and am not totally convinced a new filter would be any less dangerous. (I'm NOT worried about the filter simply dying; I've got another filter running and a pretty strong cycle... I'm worried about mechanical failure that would start a fire.) I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any thoughts on the matter. I'm considering just staying home because this is bothering me so much. Thank you...
  5. Just thought I'd update and say his fins are getting better; I can see definite improvement (the "slits"/"rips" in his tail fin are almost completely gone). We had a second red spot incident, maybe over a week ago (?). I saw a faded spot on day one; the next day it was bright red, and the next day it was almost completely gone. He was still doing a little bottom-resting/bumping, with his belly in contact with the floor. Since then, nothing, and I moved his tank last weekend (again; it was leaning forward due to the unevenness of the dresser he was on... barely, but enough for me to see a difference in the water level!) Water conditions are still perfect, and he seems happier here (the tank gets more indirect natural light and is in a better spot.) No bottom resting, no floating. Hopefully that little bit of resting was just him adjusting to a new tank. So overall, things are good. Thanks again to those who answered my first panicky post!
  6. The spot was barely visible last night, and is completely gone today. I am so, so relieved. Hoping things will continue to improve, and I won't have anymore fin issues. Still acting normal with no floatiness, and I'm very happy about that. Thanks again! I'll update again once I see what's happening with his fins...
  7. It's very faded today, looks much better. I can still see a little of the main spot but it's definately less red, and can't see any of the others. He's been at .2% for quite awhile... I checked on here awhile back to see if extended periods were bad, and was reassured (at the time) that several weeks were okay. (I think it's been a month since then??? So yeah, quite awhile.) Both bubblers are running great, and the improved oxygen is definately helping him; also, he hasn't floated once after eating since the move. He has been treated for flukes extensively. I think I got him at the end of May 2009? He didn't ever have issues with finrot, but got a chunk out of his tail sometime last October. (I don't know how, it seemed rather sudden.) When I checked on here, I heard that sometimes they take a long time to heal. But while the rips in his fins have healed somewhat, it's been slow going. So far, the cycle appears to have completely transferred. No spikes yet, I am watching though. Since it's improved, I think I'll just gradually remove any remaining salt with water changes and see how he responds to that. I think I'm seeing improvements in his dorsal already. Hopefully, whatever the underlying problem was went out with the old tank (which had been running for a long time.) We'll see. Thanks everybody.
  8. Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: didn?t actually test but probably zero since he was moved to this brand new tank on Tues. Ph Level, Tank: 8ish; kh and gh are within safe range Ph Level, Tap: usually around 7.6 Brand of test-kit used: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, drops Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running: 20 gal, just transferred him Tuesday from his old 10 gal after I found a crack in it. His filters (which have been running for a long time and are well-aged) were transferred over too. Bare-bottom tank. Name and size of the filter(s): 2 Topfin 20?s How often do you change the water and how much: was doing about 40% every week; on Tues, I transferred only about 4-5 gal of aged water over, the rest is new stuff, so a 75-80% change this week. I was going to monitor water throughout week and then do the next change on Friday (so push the water change back a little to get back on a weekend schedule), then go back to regular weekly water changes of 40-50%. Fish in the tank and their size: 1 ryukin, maybe about 2 inches excluding tail? Really hard to measure? What kind of water additives or conditioners: Prime What do you feed your fish and how often: feeding once a day, Formula One and Two frozen gel food and occasional peas. New fish added to the tank: none Any medications added to the tank: he was salted to .2% in the old tank, so there?s some salt in there now, about .05% (probably 9-10 tsp in 20 gal). The salt was in his old tank due to fin fraying. Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus: today, I noticed a bright blood-red spot on his stomach between his pectoral fins. There is one main one, but some other little ones too. Pictures below, but you can?t see anything except the main spot. It?s circular. Also, he?s got some fin fraying/deterioration. This has been going on for awhile (he lost a chunk somehow back in October that?s slowly been healing), but he?s been treated with salt and Prazi when I first got him, and I?ve been monitoring his parameters and they?re not out of the ordinary. They seem to be healing, but incredibly slowly. (This is why he was at .2% salt in his old tank, but I didn?t re-salt because I was hoping some clean water would do the trick, and I do think I?m seeing some improvement.) Any unusual behavior: the night before last (I think) he was sort of bottom-sitting/drifting before bed. Normally when he sleeps he bottom hovers. He perked up when he woke up though. He?s actually been doing better behavior-wise in this tank: he?d been having issues floating after meals before due to air ingestion and he isn?t now. He has been nosing around the two bubble bars I have in there, at times wiggling in and out of the airline tubing, but he tended to do this before as well. Overall, he seems to be acting pretty normal (for him.) Appetite still great. The red spots look like they could be abrasions, possibly? one of the bubble bars is new and maybe kind of rough? I wonder if he was messing around and got stuck around it and scraped his belly? I am terrified that this could be an ulcer, but it seems strange to me that this has happened in a brand new tank when he was in an old, kind of cruddy one for two years before. The only two sources of harmful bacteria I can think of would be from the filters (although I haven?t had a problem with them before or really disturbed them), or from me: I?ve stuck my arm in the water nearly everyday since the transfer because the new bubbler keeps popping off the wall. (It seems to finally be sticking now.) I always wash my hands and arm thoroughly (and rinse very thoroughly) before putting them in the tank, so it seems unlikely I could have brought something in. That being said, I have had my hands in the water quite frequently as of late. Right now, I am leaving him alone. Light off, no more salt, etc. and am hoping that the clean water will resolve this issue. I don?t know when it happened because I?ve been focused on the stupid defective bubbler, but it seemed very sudden. (I?m hoping this points toward the ?abrasion? theory.) Is there anything different I should be doing? Does this sound like an ulcer???? Thank you.
  9. Well, his vent looks fine now, and since it takes a long time to repair fins and he's already been at .2% for four weeks (I think), I'm considering not replacing the salt when I change him this weekend... or would it be better to keep it in there until everything's healed up completely (except for the chunk, because that would take the longest)?
  10. His vent is even redder today, it seems (although I noticed it yesterday when he was pooping so it may have been somewhat obscured.) Fed him anyway, because he'd gone two days without food (and I'd skipped a couple of days last weekend.) Hopefully this doesn't make things worse and it'll start healing soon. First pic is of "chunk," the dip right where the orange meets white on the top of his tail fin: These two are of the vent; you can see the red, but it's pretty indistinct... it seems like it's right around the edge of the vent, maybe not the vent itself. The redness is more concentrated on the bottom right hand side. I apologize for the quality of all of these... they are not very good and the last two are pretty awkward pictures. By the way, I looked again at some other rips in his tail lobes... they are definately healing. So right now what's concerning me most is his vent.
  11. Thank you guys... Spillie, that's good to know. That really reassures me, and I'm glad the salt level is good and can be left at this concentration for awhile. The edges are more "rounded" now... it seems smoother. His other fins still have the rips in them, but I think they are healing as well. (They're not getting bigger/more noticeable, they seem to be getting smaller but it's hard to tell.) I will work on getting a picture, but won't be able to post one tonight unfortunatly. (I suppose getting caught on the intake is possible, but he seems to have pretty good control of himself and I've never seen him get caught on the intakes before... I don't think they're that strong. Who knows though; he's never had this issue before either.) Something else has cropped up... last weekend, I think Friday, he had some red around his vent/anus. This has happened before in the past but went away within 2 days or less with .3% salt, so I wasn't concerned, I was just going to leave him alone. I skipped feeding for the two days (until the red disappeared) and then fed peas for two days. Monday night we lost power here for 8 hours, and then I noticed today that he's got a red spot/area on only one part of his vent (it's very tough to see.) Poo looks normal today, and he seems himself. I didn't feed him today because I'm worried about poo pressing on/hurting that spot. I think I will wait and see what happens... our recent loss of power makes me not want to up the salt concentration even more. Thought I'd mention this though. Thanks again... I'll attempt some pics tomorrow.
  12. So... I upped him to approx .2% on Oct 24th because his fins didn't seem to be healing. This Sun, he'll have been at that concentration for 3 weeks... His fins haven't gotten any worse (I think they might have worsened a little just before I increased to .2%) and I think they're getting better, but it's slow going. I'm a little worried about the prolonged salt use... is that a concern at all? Should I up it to .3%? (When I had this issue before in another tank, .2% took care of the problem pretty easily, so that's why I let it stay at .2%.) Any thoughts? Thank you...
  13. Yeah, I didn't think it was parasitic either. (I just know frayed fins can come from flukes, that's why I mentioned it.) Poor Cricket... Exposure to high ammonia/nitrites is the only thing I could come up with for the way he acts sometimes. (Ex: yawning more frequently than my others.) Thanks Lupin.
  14. I would say fraying, at the edges of his lower lobes mostly. I added the salt, I'm going to wait and see if .1% takes care of it for now. I'm frustrated about this because I don't know what's causing it. Water params still good, this fish has been treated for parasites by salt and Prazi-Pro. This is the first time something like this has happened to this fish, although I've had some issues with fin splits in my other tank. I don't get it. He could have got it caught on the plastic plant I keep in there, but the fins are more fraying at the edges than a tear in one specific area, so I'm thinking that's probably not it. He's been fine (fin-wise) for over a year until this point. Maybe it is a water issue? I haven't noticed it get worse after a water change necessarily, but it's something to consider. Or can fraying happen if he's just not that healthy of a fish? (I think he's got damaged gills from high ammonia levels at the petstore, and I consider him the fragilist of my fish.) I'll see what happens with the salt. Thanks.
  15. The rips in his fins seem to be getting worse, although the "chunk" seems about the same. This Tuesday, it'll have been three weeks since I changed one of the cartridges, and the parameters haven't changed as far as I can tell. Is it safe to add .1% salt tomorrow? And probably go up to .2% in a few days/week? I would think if I was going to have a cycle bump, it would've happened already, so I'm figuring I'm probably safe to add salt. (I know this is sort of a water quality question, but it's also sort of medical.) Thank you.
  • Create New...