Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Donya

  1. Hi all. I recently acquired a small pearlscale that, as the title says, has one eye. It's not much bigger tip-to-tail than some of my guppies. I'm not sure whether it just hatched out that way or if it was the result of some injury very early in its growth, since the eye socket was either never there or has been completely filled in by the beginnings of a wen. Predictably, it's an easily frightened fish that tends to bash into things on the blind side. The pearlscale is going to be in quarentine for a couple more weeks since I'm rather paranoid about diseases (I've never had a proper disease in my main tanks and plan to keep it that way), so I'll have plenty of time if I need to modify anything in the main tank before the new fish goes in. This is my 2nd one-eyed fish, the other being an engineer goby (marine fish) that had also lost the eye before I got it. I know from having that goby for several years that vision loss on one side affects the fish's behavior and particularly the liklihood that it will get itself into strange situations that other fish wouldn't. My plan so far has been to avoid sharp objects and ornaments in general, but I wasn't sure if there were any other precautions I needed to be aware of? Although the main tank is only air-driven right now, I'll be adding a canister filter before the new fish goes in, and that will be the main filtration. I think I'm going to stay away from UGFs and possibley substrate in general. The tank won't be a glass tank but rather a large plastic tub that I've kept goldies in before, and will be open-topped with a high rim above the waterline. I've never had issues with the filter intakes with other fish, but I was wondering whether covering the filter intakes would be advisable this time? If so, any ideas for how to keep my other, rather large goldie from pulling off whatever I wrap around the intake?
  2. Hi all! Good news: all is well. I've been without home internet since getting to my new place, so I wasn't able to check back in. My goldie improved dramatically in the following days after I posted, and is now in a temporary tub doing fine while I set up a larger space for him. The area around the puncture marks that had turned black I presume was all dead tissue, since it slowly disintigrated and the area has now recovered. Currently, you wouldn't know anything had happened just looking at the fish. I looked for something on the pleco spine-wise that could have caused it, but I'm still baffled. If there was going to be a spikey thing that could do it, it would be his pectorals, but I would think that those would make much bigger holes if they were going to penetrate something. At any rate, the pleco is in a tank with all of my other fish (mostly guppies) but not the goldie, so there shouldn't be an opportunity for a repeat if that is what caused the damage.
  3. Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on the forum and I'd hoped it wouldn't be another disaster that I'd post back with. Some time ago I had gotten two young fantail/oranda crosses that grew to 8" each - both extremely healthy fish that turned out to be a male and female and started to breed this summer (I think it was early June). Unfortunately, the female had a catastrophy when trying to lay eggs, had sudden internal complications that seemed like egg binding and the fish died within 4 hours after the onset of sickly behavior. The male and every other animal in the tank has been healthy since then. I had been preparing for a move accross the country from Texas to Connecticut, with all animals healthy and I was planning to take, among other aquatic animals, the surviving male and my large (12") sailfin pleco. These two had never been kept together, although the pleco had been in with one of my previous goldfish with no troubles. I ran into some difficulty shifting animals around and had to briefly move the pleco into the goldfish tank for no more than a few hours with me right there in the same room working on preparing stuff for the move. I'm aware that plecos will sometimes suck on slime coats, but I've never observed this pleco to do that with other fish. 2 hours after the pleco was introduced, the goldfish turned up with a massive red swelling on his back that looked to have 1, maybe 2 small puncture wounds at the center. this isn't something I could have somehow missed and then noticed - it was half-dollar sized and extremely swollen, and based on the frequency that I was checking the tank, must have appeared over the course of only 15-20 minutes. He quickly started having trouble swimming and was gasping. Earlier in the day, these were the tank stats: - ammonia & nitrite = 0 - nitrate = ~15 (under 20, but tough to tell exactly) - pH = 7.8 - temperature = 72F - test kits: AP - tank size: 30 gallons - filter: rena xp2 canister, HOTB, and UFG, and plants - water changes done once weekly, 20% - tap water stats 0 on ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and pH of 7.8-8.0 - tankmates prior to the incident: opaline gourami, 5 guppies, and 3 cory cats. - food was pellets and flake food, once per day - only melafix in the tank, but not used for several months The goldfish was the only thing in the tank that was anything other than in absolutely perfect condition. I knew the local pet stores wouldn't accept a mangled fish, so I had to hedge my bets and take him with in a 1 gallon plastic tub with a battery-powered air pump. Prior to going into the tub, which was about 6 hours later, fin rot had set in at the area and spread to the rest of the dorsal fin. I put a broad spectrum antibiotic in the tub since it was the only thing I had on hand to deal with the infection that had set in and I couldn't get anything else before leaving. I have been doing my best to keep the same pH and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate at 0 with chemical media and water changes twice daily in the tub and no feeding. The first day (yesterday) he had to be in the tub for 8 hours and looked like he was about to die the whole time. He sat on the bottom of the tank upside down, barely breathing and periodically having strange spastic twitches. His tail was so streaked with enlarged blood vessels that it had turned almost fully red/pink. Today, after a 2nd dose of the antibiotic, he's acting normal again, upright, begging for food. The red swelling has gone down and there are only a couple of red stripes left on the tail, but it looks like he's going to have a big dent in his back there since it seems the tissue is just dead. The fin rot is also starting to clear up. I have 2 days of travel left, but if the improvement continues I think he'll pull through. I will have to continue with the antibiotic since I won't have an opportunity to use anything else. I can't remember the name of the antibiotic offhand and don't have the jar to look at right now, but it was supposed to be good against both external and internal bacterial infections. I won't be able to do anything except carry through with the antibiotic until Friday, possibley Saturday depending on what transportation I have. There are two main things I'm wondering: first, is it possible that the pleco somehow is responsiblef or the freak injury, and, assuming my fish makes it through the move, what advice do you have treatment-wise once I'm at my new home? The pleco is a G. gibbiceps, and I can't see how it would have caused that major damage even if it had tried to munch on the goldfish's slime coat. There was also nothing sharp in the tank that the goldfish could have jabbed itself on, and the pleco was the only thing that was different in the tank. I probably won't be able to check the forum again until Friday, at which point I'll hopefully have an opportunity to get to a pet store if I need more meds. Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.
  4. It's took around 30 gallons of water at the last fill-up, from gravel to current level so it's a little over that in total capcity I'd guess. I love that flowerpot setup! It looks like it'd be really temperature-stable too with the ceramic around it. For filtration on my ~30g tub I've got a Rena XP2 canister filter, an old Whisper 20/40 HOTB, and an air-driven UGF (which produced a vietnamese blenny yesterday that had been missing for four months so the goldies have a new friend LOL). Most of that filtration is just to deal with the amount of junk that the insularum produce...not just waste, but they destroy stuff too. I had sponges over the HOTB intake and a sponge filter in there that they just plain tore up and it took weeks to get all that debris out. I gave up keeping anacharis in that tank because they'd just rip it up and let it clog the filters. I've substituted some stiffer-leaved rooted plants that seem to be holding up better and are doing a good job with the nitrates. Is that a plan in a small pot in the 2nd picture? If it is, what did you use to pot it? I'm wondering about trying something like taht to keep the snails away from the roots of the plants in my tanks. They get around 3-4" as adults. I have a couple in the 3-3.5" range right now, the rest have a ways to go. Pomacea insularum is one of the largest freshwater snail species; there arn't many other freswhater varieties that can surpass that size. Yeah, the tanks sort of seemed less happy after I lost Tiny Tim and Willy. I have some other pretty big fish in other tanks that I thought would kind of fill the gap, but none of them are the same sort of touchy-feely personalities. Then I saw the two I've got now in a really good store that always has really healthy fish, and they reminded me too much of Willy if he had an extra fin. I was only going to get one, but my bf wanted a bunch of goldies (and a giant predatory catfish and a huge gourami and an arowana and a grouper...*sigh* I can see that one of these days there will be a tank with a single large evil fish in it) so both it was. They're pretty attached to each other so I'm glad I wound up with the two of them.
  5. I guess lighting is everything...the water doesn't look green anymore! LOL I'm amazed I finally got pics with the 2nd goldie included, since most of the time it still runs off when it sees me comming. It's actually darkened up a bit since I got it the orange areas were pale yellow before.
  6. The snails are Pomacea insularum - they do get quite large. Most of those aren't even adults yet! I took one of them out to try to get some pics...didn't work so well since I seem to be camera challenged, but at least the body shape shows up. Gonna guess that one is about 2", maybe a little more. Both seem to have early stages of chipmunk cheeks going on. I still can't get a decent shot of the lighter colored one. The one pictured is a busybody that loves attention, but the lighter colored one still does the "oh no!" face and hides as soon as it sees the camera come out.
  7. Well I'm finally back into goldfish again. My other fish are just too antisocial to substitute for the first two goldies I used to have. I completely redid my largest tub, and greatly beefed up the filtration to have another try with goldfish. I aimed to turn it into a much bigger version of the small pond-like tub I'd grown my first goldie in and the redone tank has been quite healthy so far. It's not what I'd call a "pretty" setup, but then again none of my tub tanks are lol. At least it's doing its job and the new goldie pair seems to like the spray bar quite a lot. Top shot of the tank. The mesh rim is to keep the snails in (unsightly but effective). I tried to get the fish in the shot, but only one showed up; the other is in there but it's lighter and the spray bar output completely obscured it. Same fishie having a try at eating the UGF tube: My camera isn't doing up-close so well at the moment; probably something I'm doing wrong. Once I figure out how to get it to do closer shots without flashing I'm hoping to get a few pics that show the goldies better. The store folks thought they might be oranda/fantail crosses since they're from an oranda & fantail breeder but definitely arn't either of the usual pure breed builds.
  8. Oh man! What a week. I've been up way past my ears in work so I havn't posted updates because for while anyway, things were improving. I struck out on finding epsom salts the first 2 days, and with eventually eating peas, Tiny began to be more upright and he pooped a bit so I thought it was going better. Then, all of a sudden this morning when I got up, overnight his skin had gone milky, his gills were completely coated with thick white stuff, and he was basically suffocating. His belly had also turned red. I did a 100% water change without checking params and dosed immediately with the most sever antibactieral/antifungal meds I had on hand. Within a few minutes of the meds dissolving, he was able to cough up the white stuff from his gills and breath normally again. In the process of zooming around like a maniac in the following hours he gave himself some cornea scratches on his eyes. I'm hoping those will be ok as time goes on. Since the rapid recovery from this morning's state, I have yet to see him swimming in anything but a normal position. The red belly and milky skin are gone too. He still seems to rest a lot on his side (worn out?), but he is not swimming in strange positions anymore and goes upright and acts normal as soon as he knows I'm watching. Could this have been a bacterial case all along?
  9. Some progress tonight...unless the couple of peas I left in the tub teleported someplace, they were eventually eaten. There was also some poop...very little but at least something is passing through. He's swimming a bit better although still lying sideways when at rest.
  10. Fortunately Tiny has a white belly, but his body looks & feels normal, no mushyness. Tiny has always been kind of weird about food and eating...he has a strange temperment and he will often clam up and hold his breath until I let him go if I attempt to hand-feed him (after about 3 minutes of no gill movement and a shut mouth I I usually cave and he wins). I got a brief glance down his throat and everything looks ok. I'll try again with a flashlight ready and see if I can get a better look. I'm leaving a couple pea halves in for an hour or so to see if he'll eat when I'm not around. I have some antiobiotic on hand; I will pick up some epsom salts today. Thanks for the help so far! I'll post back when I have more info.
  11. I've had a sad series of events in the last few months...my big 7" ranchu Willy died of a tumor, and now my remaining goldfish, Tiny Tim, is struggling with something digestive-related. Tiny is about 5" and I'm not sure I ever figured out what exactly he is...a calico moor I think? He has been doing great until this week when he quit eating for a day or so and then went upsidedown in a 24-hour span. I isolated him in a 10 gallon tub to make sure he couldn't hurt himself on anything because he was bombing around upsidedown chaotically in the main tank. Main tank stats: - 25 gallons (was getting ready to move him into my 30), running for 2 years - ammonia & nitrite = 0 - nitrate = 20 at the time I isolated Tiny, which was right before I was about to do the weekly water change - no salt - pH in the tank = ~7.6, out of tap it's high but I buffer it down before adding new water - filtration: Rena filstar canister and a whisper40 HOTB...it's overkill, but the tank has been sparkling clean and healthy so far - other animals: Salton apple snails, couple small dojo loaches, & an opaline gourami - water conditioners: amquel+ - medications in the tank: none for several months...only Melafix previously - new fish: none - water changes: weekly, 25% - food: koi pellets and veggies - temperature is ~75F Temporary tub stats: - 10 gallons - ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate 0, daily maintenance - no meds - same pH and temperature - just a bubbler for water circulation - a little bit of salt because he had given himself a couple fin snicks while running around upsidedown in the main tank The only change recently in the tank has been that I found an empty snail shell in the main tank. The water was fine, so the other snails must have eaten it pretty much overnight and not left anything to decay. I have suspect Tiny may have eaten a small piece of the shell, because that is literally the only thing out of the ordinary in the tank. The shell was broken up when I found it. The other strange thing is that even isolated, there has been absolutely no poop. Refusal to eat + no poop suggested to me that there is a bad constipation issue, but I am at a loss now for what to do since nothing is comming out on its own, and he won't eat anything that might help. Even if I can get a cooked pea into his mouth, he spits it out as soon as I turn around and won't eat. He's been fasting for 3 days...he's a little less upside down and more sideways today, but I really don't know what to do here Suggestions?
  12. Jsrtist is correct about the brackish/marine water, and those are Nerites in the photo. Not all Nerites that can survive in freshwater will thrive in it or survive for long in it. Some do just fine and even manage to produce the odd offspring, but others even within the same species may not live very long. If you find yours trying to leave the tank regularly and wanting to be out of the water an awful lot then be prepared to get them into something with a high kH and, if that doesn't keep them in the water happily, a steadily raising salinity until they do stay in the water. I had to take mine (olive Nerites--not the same as zebras but related) all the way to marine salinity to keep them happy. Obviously not all Nerites purchased in freshwater will require the drastic changes that mine did though; that was a worst case scenario.
  13. I'm not sure whether Willy counted as a fry when I got him, but here goes: Photo from the first week after purchase sometime a year ago I think: Photo taken this afternoon: I think it's interesting that his tail has actually tucked from fairly flat to around 45 degrees over time...seems kind of backwards but then again I didn't expect to see such a big wen either.
  14. Snails do not get ich and snails cannot carry ich as a parasite directly. The only way they would be able to spread it is through water they are carrying/covered with. Hence, wrinse the snails and/or QT the them for a few days with a couple water changes and all will be fine. Marisas are best QT'd because they hold water in their shells and you can't make them let it out. I QT'd some Marisas from an ich-riddled petstore tank by putting them in a bowl for a few days, changed out the water several times (once per day) and then put them right in the tank. Problem-free. All other snails you can just swish around in the water (making sure they arn't holding a big mantle-full of water), dry them if you're still worried, and plop them back in the tank. The applesnail.net'erswith fish have had to do this plenty of times
  • Create New...