My son got a goldfish about four weeks ago. Last week we bought him a bigger tank and new rocks etc. I didn’t know that you have to keep good bacteria in there via rocks, water etc. So his water got cloudy. The next day I went to Petco and go some bacteria stuff and a nitrate remover. That worked to clear it up.
Then he started getting big white growths on his eyes. I’m pretty sure he’s blind now. I’ve put in 10tsp of salt and treated with Melafix and Pimafix for 5 days with no progress. Then I bought a gravel vacuum. Cleaned those and changed about 20% of the water.
I got some epsom salt and did a salt dip on him 6 days ago. That did seem to perk him up a bit. But didn’t help his eyes. I’ve tested the water and it seems fine.
I bought Maracyn 2, did a 20% water change, took the carbon out of the filter and am on day 6 of that. He’s constantly hungry which I think is a good sign. He doesn’t seem to have many other senses because he’s not great at finding the food. I’ve been working hard to make sure he’s getting enough.
He’s still no better and I’m not even sure if it’s a bacteria or a fungus or something else. Does anyone know what else I can try?
I have a picture but I can’t figure out how to add it.