Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

Previous Fields

  • Age
  • Referred By
  • How many Goldfish
    3 & pond


  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. He passed away last night. Here are some of my favorite pictures of him, including his existential crisis in quarantine.
  2. Not looking good. He hasn't been getting better or worse, except today he's pretty much out of energy. He tucked himself behind the filter sponges, I thought he was dead, but I think he just wanted a spot where he didn't have to move. When I got him out of there, he was just kind of floating around and was being pushed by the filter. I went ahead and set up a QT tub for him so he can rest. Added meds and I did 1/2tsp of Epsom salt so hopefully get some fluid off of him. He will still eat, but only one piece of food at a time. Hoping he can get some rest and start looking better in a couple days, otherwise I will probably put him to sleep.
  3. Sounds good. Thank you so much for your help! I'll update if there are any changes.
  4. Okay! I got some Kanaplex today, thankfully a LFS had it. I got more Furan-2 delivered today and Kanaplex coming Tuesday. If my math is correct, I should have enough of each to do at least 14 days of treatment in the main tank. If I just follow the box directions but extend duration, I'd be redosing Furan-2 daily and Kanaplex every other day, so I think I'll be doing water changes every other day. Should I just do 30% or would larger be good? I've seen either 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon per ten gallons for epsom salt. What do you recommend? I did 1/8 per 10 earlier today.
  5. (also no idea where to get the "right" potassium permanganate, do you have a brand to look for?) I'm not seeing anywhere to get oxytetracycline. Unfortunately I only have crumbs of kanamycin left, fastest delivery is Monday. edit: it said two day shipping but it's actually not coming until Tuesday. ://
  6. Should I move them all into a QT tub for treatment? I've been doing epsom salt baths but I've read a lot of conflicting info on putting it in the tank so I haven't done that yet. Previously I treated the entire system-- all fish, filters, snails. I'm starting to think I didn't treat long enough, I was reading other topics on here and was seeing treatment for up to 2 weeks. I just followed the directions on the packages which was not that long. I'm willing to nuke the tank, but I've never dealt with potassium permanganate before so I could use some pointers. Here's the tank after a water change so it's kinda cloudy. I have sponges over the filter intakes which I squeeze out weekly, I clean the canisters in dechlorinated water once every couple months.
  7. Another update: Scales still bad. He had one red streak in one of his pectoral fins today. I did an 80% water change and found one of my snails dead under the filter sponge I have over the Fluval intake. I'm really hoping his flareup was his way of telling me he wasn't happy with his roommate situation. If the streak isn't looking better by tomorrow, I think I will do another course of Furan 2. Please let me know if there's something else I should be doing.
  8. Update: He was pretty active after his salt bath yesterday and I didn't catch him napping today. His scales don't look any better.
  9. Back in early July, I'm pretty sure I contaminated my tank with nerite snails. I knew snails don't get infected with fish diseases so I thought they'd be fine to add, it didn't occur to me that they could still carry stuff into the tank. Anyway, one of my fish got dropsy. It was really strange because he was acting completely normal, but his scales looked funny to me and when I looked from above he was starting to pinecone. I was worried that moving him to QT would stress him out, and since whatever the problem was was already in the main tank, I treated the entire tank with Furan 2 and Kanaplex. He recovered. I know dropsy is a sign of organ damage, and I don't know if that can be remedied. Some days he has a little bit of pineconing and other days he looks like nothing ever happened. A couple days ago, his pineconing got pretty bad. I put him in an epsom salt bath, it improved a little bit, but today it's back. He's had another bath but I am not noticing any difference. Ammonia Level(Tank): 0 Nitrite Level(Tank): 0 Nitrate level(Tank): 10 Ammonia Level(Tap): 0.25 Nitrite Level(Tap): 0 Nitrate level(Tap): 0 Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.2 Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.6 Other Required Info: Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API, drops Water temperature? 72 Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40, 11 months What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Hydor 250, Fluval 407, a sponge filter How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 50ish% How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, 50% How many fish in the tank and their size? Two ranchu: 3.5 inches, an oranda: 3 inches, 2 nerite snails What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, Seachem replenish, Easygreen What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a day, Repashy or a mix of Hikari/ NLS pellets Any new fish added to the tank? not since the snails Any medications added to the tank? not since Furan 2/ Kanaplex List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Oranda fish I've had for four years from Petland, he's had two treatments of Prazi Ranchus I got in January, had two treatments of Prazi and some aquarium salt as preventative after shipping All had Kanaplex for 6 days and Furan 2 for four days in July Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He seems to be a little lethargic today, when I came in the room he was sleeping in the plants. When he sees me he comes to the front and he ate when I fed them. He is swimming around after his salt bath, but I suspect he'll go nap when I leave. Basically, I don't know what to do. I feel awful for getting him sick. I was so glad that he made it through the initial illness, but now I don't know how to keep him healthy & happy. Image of him in his salt bath earlier today.
  10. Aw, that's even worse than my situation. I've never experienced a wipeout, thankfully. Zhao's fancies are gorgeous, but I've heard that they're picky about water. My water has pretty wacky pH and I don't have the means to age it for 72 hours as they suggest. I will keep an eye on Chuchu's. Thanks for the advice!
  11. Yeah, this was an unfortunate attempt. I don’t plan on nuking anytime soon unless my fish decide to die on me. I’ve read good things about Gary Hater, but I have no idea where to actually get fish from him. I also want to start out with small fish, since my fish are maybe two inches on a good day. I haven’t been able to find a reputable place to get 2-3 inch babies. I’ll most likely wait until Thanksgiving break or winter break before I get more anyway. This whole thing was terrible timing with midterms and lab reports. :s
  12. Unfortunately he passed away last night. Thanks again for all your help.
  13. Awesome, thanks! I’ll attempt tomorrow.
  14. Okay, he hasn’t eaten since Friday. I tried squeezing some blood worms into his mouth but he spit them back out. Is it harder for them to spit out liquids?
  15. Okay, I'll start using a little less of the Proper pH each time. I have another container of Metro so I'll be able to extend treatment if needed. How many days can he go without eating in 78 degrees? I know they can generally go a while, but with higher temps and fighting illness I'm a little worried it might be hindering him.
  • Create New...