Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by diggitydani

  1. I just tested my tap water and here's the results, all tested with API drops: Ammonia: .50 (wow, did not realize it was that high, luckily I always put Seachem Prime in) Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: <5ppm PH: 8 (I add some Acid Buffer to bring it down to closer to 7.4 - 7.6) I've been treating with Kanaplex and Metroplex mixed into gel food for about a week now. I've also been dosing epsom salt at the rate of 2 tsp / 10 gallons. I stopped adding salt a couple days ago at your suggestion. Gil is still moving around, though he's getting more pine cone-y by the day. I went with antibiotics in food rather than dosing the whole tank because in October I suspected his tank mate had been killed by columnaris, so I dosed the entire tank with Kanaplex (2 doses total) and Furan-2 (4 doses total). So since dosing the tank didn't seem to knock out anything but my biological filter, I thought feeding the antibiotics would be better.
  2. Thanks so much for replying! I just did another water change with no salt. Hoping it helps. The last time I cleaned the filter was Oct 7th. I usually clean it once a month, but on Nov 7th my biological filter had just barely been re-established after a dose of Furan-2 wiped it out in October, so I wanted to give it a bit more time to recover. I was planning on cleaning it soon but can move it up if you think that's better. Here's a pic of my tank -- it's a 40 gallon breeder with my one Ranchu (Gil Sans) in it. I have a UV filter and an air stone as well as a canister filter.
  3. Oh, a few more things I forgot to mention: 1) I have a UV filter hooked up and running. 2) about a month and a half ago, his tank mate, a black moor died. Wasn't sure of what. Then my ranchu started floating with stringy and floaty poo, and I worried about a bacterial infection, thought maybe my moor had died of Columnaris. I treated my ranchu's tank (the main tank since he was the only goldfish left) with Metroplex and Furan-2 for a couple weeks. He stopped floating, but my biological filter was decimated, so it took about a month of near daily water changes to get the filter back up. I've been measuring zero ammonia or nitrites for a couple weeks now, but then noticed the pine coning. 3) The treatments I have on hand are: Kanaplex, Metroplex, PraziPro, Epsom salt, Aquarium salt, Maracyn 2, Furan-2, and MinnFinn
  4. Hi everyone, My 6 year old Ranchu recently started exhibiting some pine coning and I've been trying desperately to save him, but I keep finding conflicting information. Since noticing the pine coning, I raised the temp to 86 and I've been doing 80% water changes every other day. I also started adding Epsom Salt to the tank at a rate of 1 tbsp per 10 gallons. I've been feeding Metroplex and Kanaplex combined in some Repashy gel food (which is what he normally eats) for the last 3-4 days. I normally put a little salt in the tank during my water changes to keep salinity at 1-2%, so he's pretty used to some salt being in the tank. The thing is, I don't know whether I should keep salting the tank. I've heard both that salt puts more strain on his organs, and that it takes pressure off his organs b/c it helps him regulate the fluid in his body, so I don't know what to believe. Should I continue salting the tank during dropsy treatment, or should I stop and just rely on the Epsom salts? Or would it be bad to stop salting the tank given he's used to it? Today's water change was the first time I didn't add salt back in and now he's bottom sitting, which he usually doesn't do after a water change. Here are some tank parameters for reference: Test Results Ammonia Level Tank: 0 (API drops) Nitrite Level Tank: 0 (API drops) Nitrate level Tank: 5 (API drops) Ph Level, Tank: 7.4 - 7.6 normally Q:Water temperature A: 86 Q: Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? A: 40 gallons Q: What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? A: Cascade CCF3UL Canister Filter (265gph) Q: How often do you change the water and how much? A: Doing an 80% water change every other day Q: How many fish in the tank and their size? A: 1 ranchu, about 4-5 inches long Q:What kind of water additives or conditioners? A: Seachem Prime and Seachem Acid Buffer, as my tap water is a bit high in Ph Q: What do you feed your fish and how often? A: Repashy gel food 2x daily Q: Any new fish added to the tank? A: No Q: Any medications added to the tank? A: Epsom salt (1 tbsp per 10 gallons) Q: List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. A: Metroplex and Kanaplex in food for the last 3 days Q: Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? A: Nope, just pine coning. Q: Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? A: He's eating regularly and seems somewhat active, though occasionally he bottom sits. He always gets up when I go out though. He was floaty the first day I noticed the pine coning, but after adding epsom salt, that stopped.
  5. Hi there, my Ryukin has been slowly growing these big wart-like growths all over his body for months. At first I thought it was carp pox, but it hasn’t gone away in cycles like I read carp pox does. Water parameters are normal (ph 7.5, ammonia and nitrites low/zero), and it’s in an established 90 gal tank (like 4 years old) with a 40 gal sump. The tumors or whatever they are don’t seem to bother him, but they just keep growing. What is it?? Should I do anything about it? Any suggestions? Here’s a link to a couple photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zkth0t9wowt1ofp/AAAOjHDEoy5_Ee5yxWke3Jlla?dl=0
  6. I have two fish left. Inky (black moor) and Gill (ranchu). Both of them appear to be doing very well--the spot on Inky's dorsal fin that's been there for months is even going away. Both are lively and swimming around. I dosed the tank with Prazi right after Scribble died as a preventative in case it was flukes. I'll try to remember to get some pics of them later, but from what I can see, they're perfectly healthy, eating and swimming and pooping normally.
  7. This is really frustrating. I can't find a single pet store that sells terramycin (oxytetracycline). They only sell tetracycline. I don't know if they're the same thing, but I don't really have any other options, so I guess I'll go get that because all the stores are closing in 15 minutes.
  8. Wait, is oxytetracycline the same thing as terramycin?
  9. Well, I have my pearlscale in a 10 gallon quarantine tank right now, as it's the only fish showing any symptoms. This is a new 10 gal tank, so there's no cycle in that one. I can't find a single aquarium store that carries oxytetracycline, though, so I'm probably going to have to go with regular tetracycline because getting the other kind would require waiting a few days for it to get here, if I can even find it online...
  10. Where would I find oxytetracycline? The aquarium store near me only has tetracycline or tc tetracycline, which I assume is different? Is there a brand anyone recommends?
  11. I added a dose of metronizadole (MetroPlex) to the hospital tank as well, after reading on an aquarium advice site that MetroPlex and KanaPlex can be used effectively at the same time. Still not sure whether I can/should wait two days to do a water change or whether I should feed Gary anything. He's still alive, but tipping upside down quite a bit. Can't tell if the pine coning went down since I couldn't even tell he had it in the first place.
  12. Yes, I think I have some left. I soaked some with their pellet food two days ago or so.
  13. I looked through a couple other goldfish forums and it seemed like people who had success treating dropsy mentioned Kanaplex specifically as something that was effective for dropsy in particular?
  14. I checked on Gary again and he's basically just floating upside down at the surface, which he wasn't doing in the main tank like twenty minutes ago...
  15. I didn't see your Lowes suggestion until after I'd bought a little 10 gallon glass tank from the same place I got Kanaplex from. I'll see how Gary is in this tank and if he's not doing well maybe I'll get something more that shape. Right now he's in there with fresh water, 1/4 tsp epsom salt, and a dose of Kanaplex. I put an aerator in the tank as well as a little tunnel thing because I didn't want Gary to be bored. I also have an Aqueon Powerflow 50 filter that I could start for mechanical filtration, but I worry that would give too much of a current for little Gary. He's still a bit tipsy, though he's improved in the last few weeks. He still likes to have a place where he can rest and not fight the current. The Kanaplex says to dose, wait two days, then dose again. Should I wait two days to do a water change so that I'm not double dosing the tank? Also, what, if anything, should I feed Gary? I have peas, broccoli, Hikari sinking pellets, spirulina flakes, and Blue Ridge medicated food (though I think overfeeding this caused Gary's swim bladder issues). Thank you so much for your help everyone. I really hope I don't lose Gary. I feel so guilty.
  16. I read a bit more on dropsy and I'm worried the salt I added for Scribble will make Gary worse, so I'm going to go buy another hospital tank along with some kanaplex. I have an extra air pump already. Will I need anything else?
  17. I did a 50% water change and added some epsom salt to the main tank already. My previous hospital tank is huge and sprung a leak--is it absolutely necessary to get another? Or can I just treat the main tank? My concern is that I don't have anything that has any beneficial bacteria on it, since my main tank doesn't have any carbon filter or whatever that I can transfer over to the hospital tank. Wouldn't cycling a tank while treating a fish in quarantine be stressful for Gary?
  18. Scribble died last night. What can I do to save Gary? I didn't notice pineconeing--I thought it was just his pearlscale look. He's been recovering from swim bladder issues since the pet sitters overfed him when we went out of town. He's stopped floating and tipping over and stuff, but I guess now he's bottom sitting, so that's probably a sign.
  19. Ah, got it re: Prazi. Would that mess with my aquaponics system? I'll still do it to save Scribble, but it would be good to know not to eat the tomatoes I'm growing... Anyway, here's a few pics of Gary's black dusted look: http://imgur.com/a/gP5E3 and a video http://bit.ly/29Tu1vS I found him bottom sitting in the corner when I got home again. Scribble didn't eat anything again when I fed them just now. He was swimming around for a while, yawning as you'll see in the video and almost looking like he was chewing, then he sort of just hovered above the sand for a while as the other fish swam around him. They'd even bump into him and he wouldn't do much. I checked in his mouth for the hundredth time to be sure nothing was stuck in there, but it looked clear. Here's two videos: http://bit.ly/29pavqc http://bit.ly/29uJFQe
  20. I'll try to get a picture when I get home from work. And I've never treated with Prazi--none of my goldfish have ever had a breakout of little white spots all over their bodies. My black moor has one white spot on his dorsal fin, but it's been there for months, so I don't think it's ich, given it hasn't spread to anywhere else or to any other fish? Plus, he's acting completely fine, it's just the other two who look/act weird.
  21. I should mention that when I changed out the rocks for sand, it's pool filter sand that I'd rinsed in a bucket. I took out all the rocks and vacuumed and scrubbed the entire tank, then ran one of my timed grow beds continuously for a day to get extra circulation and filtration. I also added a little Seachem Stability after the water change.
  22. Hi everyone, Of course now that I've solved the swim bladder and fungal infection issues, two new ones pop up. :/ So I just changed out the rocks in my 95 gal for sand, hoping it would solve some persistent fungal fin rot and help with water quality. It seems to have worked pretty well except now my pearlscale and my wakin have some weird issues and i don't know why. First off, my pearlscale (Gary) has what looks like a fine layer of dark dust on him. Before I took out the rocks, I'd treated the tank with API Fungus Cure, so I assumed for a while that it was just discoloration from the green dye in the treatment, but it hasn't gone away and poor Gary was bottom sitting in the corner this morning, so I'm worried it's something else. It's just a very light dusting, and doesn't appear to be concentrated or darkening like black smudge. His fins have also been a little bit frayed, but I thought that was from when he had swim bladder issues for a few weeks and would constantly be fighting to swim upright etc. I'm worried that it might be part of it. My wakin (Scribble) meanwhile has been acting weird for a while. I thought it was just from some sort of fin rot fungal thing, since he was looking better and had less white clumps on his tail after the Fungus Cure treatment, but now he's back to acting weird. He mostly just floats in the center of the tank, and he's sort of stopped eating. I found him bottom sitting yesterday and he was slow to respond to stimuli, like me coming to feed them. He sort of just floats and wobbles around, but once in a while he perks up and swims around with his dorsal fin up. He's also been doing this thing where he seems to yawn for a long time, but when I look in his mouth, nothing is there. He halfheartedly goes to eat food, but half the time ends up spitting it out or losing interest. For a while he had trailing white poo, but that issue seems to have gone away a little. I'm getting worried now because I don't think he's eaten much in a few days, and he's been acting "off" for a couple weeks now, and I can't figure out why. His fins are sometimes clamped, but by no means all the time. When I look at his body, I can't see any lesions or anything weird. He doesn't bottom sit all the time (just once, from what i've seen), and he seems able to swim well when he actually tries to do it. The frustrating thing is that it seems like the water quality has improved from the sand. So I don't really know what to do. Test Results for the Following: * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0 * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0 * Nitrate level(Tank): low * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0 * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0 * Nitrate level(Tap): 0 * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.6 * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4-7.6 Other Required Info: * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: pH: electric, Nitrate/Nitrite: API, Ammonia: Seachem * Water temperature? 70-73 * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 95 gal main tank, two 15 gal sumps, running for about 2 years * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? it's an aquaponics system with a trickle filter and a pvc pipe overflow * How often do you change the water and how much? About once a week I've been doing a 40% water change * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I changed about 80% of the water a week ago * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish, all between 3 and 4 inches * What kind of water additives or conditioners? D-chlor water conditioner * What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari sinking pellets, peas, broccoli, spirulina flakes, twice a day, usually * Any new fish added to the tank? no * Any medications added to the tank? added some salt and a little bit of Seachem Metronidazole to their food last night * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Before my 80% water change, I dosed the tank with API Fungus Cure, which handled persistent fin rot with my black moor, but since the large water change and the sand swap out, I've only added a dose or two of Melafix (haven't added any for a couple days), and last night I added about 10 tbsp of salt to the tank, along with a dose of Seachem Metronidazole mentioned above. * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? For a bit it looked like there was a spot on a few of my fish's heads, but those went away after a day or two. Now it's just the dark powder dusting on the pearlscale * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? All mentioned in detail above Any ideas? Thanks so much! This forum has been SO helpful, as I always seem to have a bunch of random and complicated problems every few months...
  • Create New...