Winston is new fish I received from a reputable source on July 21. He is approximately 3 1/2 - 4 inches nose to beginning of tail. He was in a 40 G breeder and then I moved him to a 10 gallon yesterday. I was hoping to quarantine him (meaning I would just have to do Prazi treatments) with another oranda that I received on July 21st from another reputable source. Unfortunately my beautiful new oranda was bullying Winston so I moved Winston to 10 gallon yesterday.
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 5
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 5
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test drops
* Water temperature? 73 degrees
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons since yesterday. Was in a 40 G cycled breeder since I got him on July 21, 2016. Was gong to quarantine him in this.
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 30 with cycled media that I put in yesterday at start up.
* How often do you change the water and how much? Since I got him I have been doing daily to every other day 80& WC
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday at start up of 10 G tank
* How many fish in the tank and their size? Just him since I got him. Then I got an oranda from another reputable source on July 29th and thought I would just quarantine them together for Prazi treatment.
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2X per day. Repashy in the morning as recommended from seller. Duckweed in the evening.
* Any new fish added to the tank? he's in quarantine see above.
* Any medications added to the tank? yes Paraguard
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Parafguard and Metroplex (mixed in food with Seachem Focus as recommended by Seachem representative) See last bullet for explanation.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes since I got him on July 21st he seems to spend a lot of time nose down. When he was in the 40 breeder he would rest against the sponge filter. Then on July 27th he was up at the top of tank swimming in one spot with rapid breathing. I have seen this before over a year ago in one of my other fish. I successfully treated it with Paraguard. That is why I added the Paragaurd to Winston's tank on the 27th. From all my reading Paraguard is a pretty gentle, even prophylactic treatment. I confirmed this when I phoned Seachem. The representative confirmed that Metroplex and Paraguard can be used together as a prophylactic treatment if a fish keeper wished. Winston stopped the behaviour within 24 hours and appeared calmer but still spent most of his time against the sponge filter. I wanted to try this treatment for a couple of days at least before I panicked. However it would appear that I have to try something else...