My name is Casey. First, I would like say thank you for all the wonderful information on this forum. What an amazing resource this is! I have been lurking for a while now, but this is my first post...sorry it is in D&D. I am hoping you can tell me if I have a problem or if I am being paranoid. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)- 0 ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank)- 0 ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank)- 0 ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0 ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tap)- 0 ppm
* Nitrate level(Tap)- 0 ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH = 8.2, KH = 107.4 ppm, GH = 143.2 ppm, no chloramines
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH = 8.2, KH = 125.3, GH = 143.2, no chloramines
Other Required Info:
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - Occasional yawning and flashing from the smaller ranchu. Resting a lot in the corner/floating at an angle from the large ranchu. Both do some gulping at the surface occasionally.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?- None.
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - The larger ranchu was purchased via auction in January and arrived floating at a 45 degree angle and kept his nose in the corner. He was treated with Kordon Ich Attack - (10 day course with .1% salt) followed by PraziPro (two or three 5-day rounds with .1% salt), and Tetra Paraguard - (2 doses with each dose in the tank for one week and a water change in between) Finished treatment in mid February. When he was treated with PraziPro, a whole bunch of small white and large yellow worm-like "things" were ejected out the back of his gill flaps and he twitched like mad for a few hours. After the first day or two of PraziPro he started looking better, swimming around, and being upright again. After the initial three treatments, he seemed happy and healthy. In April I upgraded from the 27 gallon cube that the larger ranchu was in to a 40B and upgraded to a canister filter (I transfered the hydro-sponge filter and biostars from the prior setup to the new tank and filter). I then added a second ranchu from ECR who had been in quarantine for one month with no issues. Both fish seemed fine and healthy at the time of introduction and got along great. No harassing. A month later (May) the larger ranchu had his nose in the corner again and the newer ranchu was yawning a lot with rapid breathing or what I called "jogging in place" at various times throughout the day. I treated the tank with five 7-day rounds of PraziPro and .1% salt and everybody seemed back to normal. A month later (June) I caught the smaller ranchu flashing occasionally (but not often-maybe once or twice a day) with no other symptoms. Over the next month (into July) the flashing stopped but both ranchus started gulping at the top of the tank more often and yawning more. By the middle of July, the gulping and yawning was worse, the smaller ranchu was flashing again occasionally, and the larger ranchu was floating at an angle again. I started a third treatment of PraziPro on the 22nd of July and followed the protocol that Dnalex posted for six 5-day rounds. After completion of the last Prazi round, about a week and a half ago, there has been no change in their behavior as compared to before the treatment. The larger ranchu is still resting a lot at an angle in the corner of the tank and the smaller ranchu is still flashing occasionally with yawns, and there is still surface gulping from both. Apart from these symptoms they eat enthusiastically, come running to beg whenever anybody walks by the tank, hunt and peck (when they are not resting), and look normal outwardly.
* Any medications added to the tank? - Just finished a 6-round course of salt (1 tsp. per gal) and PraziPro last week. There is still .1% salt in the tank.
* Any new fish added to the tank? -Not since the end of April
* What do you feed your fish and how often? -NLS Thera-A twice a day and Hikari frozen blood worms/Hikari frozen brine shrimp once a day
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
* How many fish in the tank and their size? Two ranchus. One is about 4.5 inches and the other is about 5 inches
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? -Six days ago, 80-90% (down to the back of the larger ranchu) - tonight is water change night
* How often do you change the water and how much? -Every five to seven days (80-90%)
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? -API Filstar XP-L, Hydro-Sponge III
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? -40B, since the end of April
* Water temperature? -79F
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? -API Freshwater Master, drops