I have three goldfish that I rescued from someone who couldn't take care of them. They were an unfortunate gift to a disabled person who really didn't need any more pets to take care of. When I took them in August, the water conditions they were in were horrible. Two of them just floated at the top of the tank listlessly. I don't even know when the last time their water was changed was--they were just topping off the tank--not changing the water. And all three were in a 16 gallon tank!
Basically, they all have tails that are ragged, and they were all constipated and floating. Most of that seems to have cleared up, but there still is some white stringy stuff occasionally even after the medi-gold. I just don't know why their fins are getting worse.
I'm wondering--GH and KH at the right levels? Could that be a factor?
Thanks for your help--I'm new to having fish. But these ones are obviously survivors!
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 * Nitrate level(Tank) between 5 to 10 ppm * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 * Nitrite Level(Tap) <.01 ppm * Nitrate level(Tap) .8 ppm * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Ph 7.4, KH 2, GH 89.5 * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Ph 8.5, KH 3, GH 107.4
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops * Water temperature? 68F * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55gal, running since August 2013 * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SunSun Canister filter 265 gph * How often do you change the water and how much? 1-2 times per week, 25%
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago--25%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fancy goldfish--2 inches long
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? SeaChem Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? I've been feeding medi-gold 2x per day for the last week
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? SeaChem Paraguard for flukes and finrot
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
Back in October I used salt for a few weeks for finrot. I've also used kanaplex in the tank--per the pet store's advice--it didn't help--just crashed the biofilter.
I've been using paraguard and medigold for the past week and there has been improvement. They stopped scratching against things after two days, there is less stringy poop, and the Oranda has stopped floating at the top of the tank at night.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
They all have frayed tail fins, which seem to be getting worse, which I don't understand, because the water seems to be OK. The oranda has red streaks in his fins, but that may be improving. Two of them look like they may have lost a scale or two on their sides.
After a week on the paraguard, there are also some little critters that have appeared on the glass. They are almost transparent, oval shaped, and less than a milimeter long. At first I thought they were some kind of algae, but they definitely move. The day after I see them, by the next morning they are up just above the water line, so they must be trying to get away from the paraguard. I don't know what they are. They are hard to wipe off of the glass, but I can remove them with a Q-tip.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
They are always hungry and very active! The telescope eye floats at the top at night. He was staying at the top and gulping air a lot of the time, but he stopped after I added the paraguard.