Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level (tank): 5 squares on the strip - lowest says ideal 0
* Nitrite Level (tank) square on safe 0
* Nitrate level (Tank) 3 squares for safe but it was on the highest safe square 40
* Ammonia Level (Tap): safe 0
* Nitrite Level (Tap) safe 0
* Nitrate level (Tap) safe 20
* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? strip testing from walmart Jungle brand
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 unfergravel filters came with our used tank says petco and just added a fluva 405 3 weeks ago
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? When the first fish got sick after i moved him to the hospital tank i added API stress coat plus 12 capfulls (120 gal tank) this morning after the water cahgne I added Tetra Easy Balance 12 capfulls
* Water temperature? 74-76
* How often do you change the water and how much? every 2 or 3 weeks about 12 -16 gallons
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? this morning 36 gallons
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 120, bought it used up and running for us 2nd week in Jan 2013, not running for about 2 months after we bought it. had tropical fish in it untill the day we bought it
* How many fish in the tank and their size? (after 7 deaths) 19 fish left. We have 2 5-6 inch goldfish parents. They were store bought previous owners of house we just bought put htem outside in a water feature and left them when they moved in. we went to empty the waterfall for winter and saw them. They had babies about half to an inch long when we rescued them in October. Currenlty the babies are about 2 inches long There were 3 teenagers from a previous buch of fishies they are currently about 2 and a hlaf inches long. Our neighbor heard that we were rescuing goldfish so they said we could take their store bought fish from there pond otherwise they would have been tossed into a stream somewhere. (so they are about 4 inches long now) We had a few store bought gold fish and 2 carnival fish as well all about 2 and a half inches right now. Here is the interesting thing. ONLY the fishes BORN from store bought fish are dying. all the fish that origanly were bought from a store are not showing sings of sickness.
* What do you feed your fish and how often? API goldfish pellets (a decent pinch) Aqueon Goldfish flakes (a decent pinch) about 1 time a week Tetra sun dried gammerus baby shrimp (like maybe 8 of them in the tank) 1 -2 times a week frozen shrimp larve 4 frozen squares (green package from petsmart) 1-2 times a week peeled cooked soft green peas with nothing on them
* Any new fish added to the tank? last new fish was valentines day 2013 he still looks fine but his top fin was damaged when we bought him
* Any medications added to the tank? none
* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none that i know of
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Didnt see grains of salt. there are no bloody streaks however where the fins attach to the fish has turned pinkish only on my free born babie fish that are/were jewerly colored gold. the white and orange free born fish are not showing this coloring. 2 of the 3 jewlery colored gold fish that died turned a dark grey in there last few hours. And ther top fins looks deflated
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? 2 or the 7 dead stopped eating a few days before they died. they float near the top in an area with less current and gasp and turn to the rt and then left sides, looks like they are trying to keep starble.
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 1st fish that got sick about 6 days ago. was about 2 and half inches one of the bigger fish that was born free. After about a day i took him out and put him in a hospital tank with fresh water. I didnt treat the tank because he just wasnt eating or swiming nad floating near the top. But didnt show any of hte sings of other sickness I have read online. Then 2 days later i noticed another fish not swiming before I got the tank set up (less then an hour later) it was dead. Then in the next 24 hours I noticed a dead fish floating hiding in the plastic bamboo plant. it had gotten fuzzy ish stuff around it. Then yesterday 2 more fish acted weird ad were dead within an hour. This morning I saw one floating funny and dead with in an hour. After dropping my kid at school started the 36 gal water change (gravel vacume too) when I took out all tank pants and toys another fish came up floating and covered in fuzzy. This is the only fish that sort of looked like it might have soars on it. but its hard to tell cause it was covered with ew. I was reading more sings nad symptoms online and i did see on ocasion long white stringy looking poop. most fish poop brown stuff.
* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.
I know I am real new at goldfish. When we bought the house (my parents really - we are living with them while going to school) I just couldnt stand to see all those fishies die. We (me hubby and 2 small kids) dont have a lot of cash to support our goldfish so we have been doing the best we can. I do alot of reading on line and know more about goldfish care the the people at Petsmart. I live in a small town so a trip to the pet store is 45 mins one way. We bought most of the tanks used of Craigs list. I cleaned them only with water, tossed any rocks that came with it and started fresh. at first we had these fish spread out over 1 55 gal tank and 2 10 gal tanks (i know too small but it kept them alive untill we found this 120 gal tank. I also know its still a bit small for that many goldfish so I try to do more water changes to deal with that issue.) I am truely trying to learn more and have come to this site and learked and read a lot of posts. I tell you this so you know we need the less expensive cures. and something either petsmart (I like) petco (dont like as much) carries. not a lot of other fish stores I can find where we live and those are 45 min drive one way. We also plan on buying 1 or 2 other typs of media for the fluva 405.